Queen's Park 2019/20

4 hours ago, an86 said:

This is the problem. If we want to retain amateur purity, which I would argue probably died some time ago, it means not paying players. It also means no buying and selling players. As soon as money starts changing hands, is it true amateurism? We can't just pick and choose the bits of it that we like and cry foul when it works to our disadvantage. 

Yep. See today’s news that the problem central midfield position is being filled by a professional loan signing from Hibs.

9 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:
14 hours ago, Ally said:
Yep. See today’s news that the problem central midfield position is being filled by a professional loan signing from Hibs.

Compensation for them taking Steven Bradley.

Don't be fooled by this. Hibs benefit from this too. We give their player first team football in a proven football environment for developing young players. If they didn't get anything from it they wouldn't do it.

Don't be fooled by this. Hibs benefit from this too. We give their player first team football in a proven football environment for developing young players. If they didn't get anything from it they wouldn't do it.

Still, it’s a good club to have a partnership with. Stepping from amateur to professional has many challenges. Having paths to use loanees as we transition would be useful. We need to move in steps, not leaps and bounds.

I was joshing and you're spot on in saying that they wouldn't be doing it if they weren't benefitting too.

The lad looked very good on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Still, it’s a good club to have a partnership with. Stepping from amateur to professional has many challenges. Having paths to use loanees as we transition would be useful. We need to move in steps, not leaps and bounds.

I agree but I'm sure they are wanting closer links with us due to the quality of players coming through our system.

On 07/07/2019 at 12:38, Dooflick said:

There are a large number of clubs, in  Scotland, who rely on interest free loans from wealthy supporters to keep their club going and indeed  Glasgow Rangers are one

I take it you mean the club that was called Rangers 

It's a shame none of these wealthy supporters stepped in to stop them from liquidation. Well, I say a shame, it was actually rather glorious 😉

Edited by Mick1867

20 hours ago, The man with no name said:

Agreed. The object of the Club that the purists are trying to defend is that we maintain an amateur football club. That died when we played our first loan player. I suggest a further stake went through the heart when the Club signed players on professional contracts and played them. The link to true amateur team went years ago. The Club has adapted and changed throughout its history to survive. This is just another example of this.

Correct

We didn't join the SFL in 1890 as a protest against professionalism -  10 years later we thankfully saw sense

We were one of the last clubs in Scotland to get sponsors on our tops, bloody hell  I remember a banner protesting against it being unfurled on the old North enclosure -  We eventually went on to have a change strip in Irn Bru colours for about 15 years! 

We then started signing ex-professionals , then professionals on loan in the 90s. We wouldn't have won the league in 2000 if it wasn't for the contribution of a loan player in the run in

We pay our head coach and certain members of the back room staff ( kitman etc)  We have full time (and part time) office staff   

Ex-pros in any sport couldn't even become full members of our club - thankfully that nonsense situation was rectified a few years ago. If not then the current President wouldn't be in that position.

..and of course we now play in a league called the Scottish Professional Football League 

Given all the above then I'm amazed that anyone in our support still gets sniffy about professionalism 

Looking forward to the meeting on the 25 July and hopefully a lively and healthy debate with both sides of the argument on full display but imo it's adapt again or die a slow death   

Edited by Mick1867

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

They can learn from us as well. They certainly saw how good a system we've got when we pumped them out of the Youth Cup. 

7 minutes ago, bobthespider said:

I see on our fixtures on our website we will be charging £15 to get in this season . The most expensive in the league.

It's excessive at this level. Club has costs to meet, though. Rock and a hard place because it's difficult to attract casual fans at that price. Season ticket works out at around £11 per game, which is fair enough for those who go week in, week out. 

13 hours ago, an86 said:

It's excessive at this level. Club has costs to meet, though. Rock and a hard place because it's difficult to attract casual fans at that price. Season ticket works out at around £11 per game, which is fair enough for those who go week in, week out. 

Aye, it's the away fans I feel for (only time you'll see me saying that this season) I remember how pissed off some of us were paying £16 at Alloa in League 1.

I see it's £12 to get into Hamilton on Saturday, good to see a sensible price agreed between the two clubs. I hope similar is agreed for our two "home" games at Airdrie    

46 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

I see it's £12 to get into Hamilton on Saturday, good to see a sensible price agreed between the two clubs. I hope similar is agreed for our two "home" games at Airdrie    

I might be wrong about this, it's been known, but I think the pricing has been agreed at £12 and £6 for all games in our group.

Talk of two 900 seater stands at either side with both having a standing section. Scope for a temporary stand behind the goals for cup ties that would require larger capacity. 
We'd probably only need to open one of the stands for most games and I'd imagine it'd feel relatively busy. 

Would this mean removing the existing stand that was built during the commonwealth games?
Would they rip up the AstroTurf to put down a grass pitch? Also given the large area behind the goal at one end would they potentially move towards that end (Somerville drive) then install a grass pitch and construct stands/terracing from there?

Lots of questions I know, just interested to see what they do. By know means a supporter but I go along to watch Queens Park, at least 5/6 games every season since I moved back to the area in 2012.

3 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

Would this mean removing the existing stand that was built during the commonwealth games?
Would they rip up the AstroTurf to put down a grass pitch? Also given the large area behind the goal at one end would they potentially move towards that end (Somerville drive) then install a grass pitch and construct stands/terracing from there?

Lots of questions I know, just interested to see what they do. By know means a supporter but I go along to watch Queens Park, at least 5/6 games every season since I moved back to the area in 2012.

Been told that existing stand holds around 400 - doesn't look that much imo - so they will be "building around that ". This will involve extending the bottom to be nearer the pitch - maybe at the back as well. It will also be covered

The other stand will be built on the opposite side. Roof will be higher to stop folk watching games from the raised level outside the Hampden turnstiles 

AstroTurf is staying.  Makes sense, easier to maintain and we'll need to get some revenue all year round from hiring the pitch out when we aren't using it.  No plans to move the pitch at the moment     

The existing dressing rooms will be getting used. It will be interesting to see how they build around that and the  whole old farmhouse building

Edited by Mick1867