Queen's Park 2019/20

Seeing my mention above I thought I'd have a look back at those promotion play offs from 2007 - here's some fan pics from the game at Gayfield and the final second leg at East Fife.

That was a cracking Spiders team - I wasn't a very good photographer back then but I enjoyed photographing those games

IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_6764.jpg

IMG_6690.jpg

4 minutes ago, an86 said:

The noticeable thing in this pictures is how sizeable the young team contingent of the support is. We just don't have that now. 

Don't forget they are following a successful team that played open, attacking football. Under Ray and Laurie, we have brought in Ross MacLean and Craig Slater. Don't mean to go all Field of Dreams but if we give them an exciting team on the pitch, they will come!

On 27/03/2020 at 10:13, bobthespider said:

Where are all the regular posters . Give us your best QP Team preferably from players you have seen . Let’s keep this forum going over the next few months .lets see names we have forgotten and bring back memories of their performances . emoji460.pngemoji460.png

I've been thinking about what Bob said above; but being an auldie going back 7 decades, brings to mind dozens of great players, and difficult to choose. Even more difficult for toady's "weans", if ye wurnae even born then. 

So I thought I'd narrow it down by the decade, and start this quiz off by puting up this photo, from an old program.

This guy is the best player I've seen in  Queen's shirt in the last 10 years, what's his name ???

And I'll post the answer in a few days, along with the back page of the program, giving both teams; and there's quite a few candidates for best Queen's player of the decade  in there.

Stranraer1.thumb.jpg.dfd0991c18c48e9866799a5d40e969e3.jpg

Also  which ex-Spider was in the opposition ranks that day  ?

If other's have similar progams/photos to share we might get a decent thread going.

On 27/03/2020 at 22:51, Glasgow1999 said:

Queen's Park are mentioned in the first episode of The English Game on Netflix.  Very interesting drama, there is so many amazing facts about QPFC which could been used for a similar program!

Funny how it's the English Game.

Did the movie mention that the world's oldest football was found up in the rafters of Mary Queen of Scots bedroom at Stirling Castle.

Probably kicked there, in the 1540's by Scotland's first "self appointed" national team captain; during a spell of social distancing; from the English.

https://www.smithartgalleryandmuseum.co.uk/about/the-collection/stirling-history-archaeology/the-worlds-oldest-football/

13 hours ago, The Reverend said:

Is Queens Park likely to experience financial difficulties, or are you one of the few clubs likely to be okay, given the sale of Hampden?

How long is a piece of string....... and when will any club be able to kick a ball in ernest again. We may be better off than some, but no-one is okay in the present climate of uncertainty.

47 minutes ago, QP's in my DNA said:

I've been thinking about what Bob said above; but being an auldie going back 7 decades, brings to mind dozens of great players, and difficult to choose. Even more difficult for toady's "weans", if ye wurnae even born then. 

So I thought I'd narrow it down by the decade, and start this quiz off by puting up this photo, from an old program.

This guy is the best player I've seen in  Queen's shirt in the last 10 years, what's his name ???

And I'll post the answer in a few days, along with the back page of the program, giving both teams; and there's quite a few candidates for best Queen's player of the decade  in there.

Stranraer1.thumb.jpg.dfd0991c18c48e9866799a5d40e969e3.jpg

Also  which ex-Spider was in the opposition ranks that day  ?

If other's have similar progams/photos to share we might get a decent thread going.

Davie Anderson and I don't know the answer to your second question.

1 hour ago, QP's in my DNA said:

Funny how it's the English Game.

Did the movie mention that the world's oldest football was found up in the rafters of Mary Queen of Scots bedroom at Stirling Castle.

Probably kicked there, in the 1540's by Scotland's first "self appointed" national team captain; during a spell of social distancing; from the English.

https://www.smithartgalleryandmuseum.co.uk/about/the-collection/stirling-history-archaeology/the-worlds-oldest-football/

I think it's the English Game as the English FA is the oldest and the series focuses largely on two English teams - Darwen and Old Etonians. Although Queen' Park and Hampden is mentioned in the first episode in connection to the Old Etonians captain spoken to about playing against Queen's Park. The main character in the series is often referred to as being a former player of Partick as was his friend, although I believe this club is not connected to Partick Thistle. The 'passing game' is often referred to as being the Scottish way of playing football and gradually other teams adopt this strategy.

A main point of the drama is the emergence of professionalism, as the main teams in the North of England have paid players. However, they try to hide this fact and the players officially have jobs, usually connected to businesses connected to club owners. The traditional clubs such as Old Etonians strongly disapprove of professionalism and as these clubs control the FA are keen to try and do something about it.

On 05/04/2020 at 20:23, The Reverend said:

Is Queens Park likely to experience financial difficulties, or are you one of the few clubs likely to be okay, given the sale of Hampden?

We should be in a stronger position than almost every other club in Scotland, unless there's something we don't know about. I'd find that unlikely because the club have been good at communicating. 

It obviously raises the question of the timing of Lesser being built, but everyone is going to face problems of some sort. Trivial in comparison to what is going on, right enough. 

Edited by an86

There's a certain irony in QP offering professional contracts a couple of months before the game goes tits up and we're paying for guys not playing. Still, we've got a decent squad signed up. If we were still amateur, I'd really fear for us when this nightmare ends.

As unfortunate as it is, and I wish it wasn't the case in the circumstances, it's actually possible that we could end up even stronger on the park as a result of the cuts that other clubs are going to make. I don't see our level of spending changing, but I do see others cutting their cloth. We might end up an attractive proposition for players who might otherwise have been out of reach. 

Not too many interested in quizzing at the moment, from the looks of the lack of replies, but here's the teams from the game.

Stranraer2.bmpThat Queen's team had quite a few candidates for best player of the last 10 years.

"spiders4ever" got it right, it was indeed Davie Anderson, always a joy to watch . Playing against us for Stranraer that day was Mick Dunlop.

Stranraer2.bmp

18 minutes ago, QP's in my DNA said:

Not too many interested in quizzing at the moment, from the looks of the lack of replies, but here's the teams from the game.

Stranraer2.bmpThat Queen's team had quite a few candidates for best player of the last 10 years.

"spiders4ever" got it right, it was indeed Davie Anderson, always a joy to watch . Playing against us for Stranraer that day was Mick Dunlop.

Stranraer2.bmp 6.51 MB · 1 download

Mick was a legend. I remember his celebration at East Fife.