Queen's Park 2019/20

1 minute ago, an86 said:

Paton was a class right back. MacFarlane walks in to a centre half spot and there's plenty of options at left back. The temptation to go for Robertson would be strong, but I think Connaghan and Douglas were better left backs for us. Connaghan has a title winning medal, so that probably gives him the edge. Would need to have a good think about another centre back, mainly because my memory is dreadful and I'll probably miss someone totally obvious. 

I understood the original question to be "all time" not just those within living memory of our younger support? Bert Cromer, John Valentine were real class acts who should not be forgotten. Same with the goalkeepers. Bobby Clark and Brown were internationalists, something our more recent crop were nowhere near.

On 24/03/2020 at 15:32, an86 said:

That's down to the membership. If they feel that both of these lads have a contribution to make, they'll continue. Also depends on younger folk wanting/being able to step up. 

Ability and the contribution to the continued well-being of the Club have to be the driving factors. It's a hard shift and recent years have seen a significant increase in the complexity and the amount of what has to be done. You dump experience and a willingness to do that shift at your peril. There should always, though, be a place for non-Committee people to contribute, something which I reckon will kick in when we move to Lesser.

8 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Ability and the contribution to the continued well-being of the Club have to be the driving factors. It's a hard shift and recent years have seen a significant increase in the complexity and the amount of what has to be done. You dump experience and a willingness to do that shift at your peril. There should always, though, be a place for non-Committee people to contribute, something which I reckon will kick in when we move 

I've never particularly liked the 'younger blood' as an excuse for pushing out more experienced campaigners. It's demonstrably ageist. You could stick someone in their 30s in and they might not make a contribution, whereas someone at 70 might. Vice-versa, of course. 

As a general point, though, I do think that most entities perform better with broader representation. Have we ever had a female committee member, for example? 

Like every club, we'll all have wee gripes, snipes and complaints at certain times. However, look at where we were, where we are, and where we're hopefully going and I don't think we can complain too much about the committee. In fact, they deserve enormous credit. Coming onto a forum and personalising the issue, as Dooflick did, is pretty below the belt tbh. 

33 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I understood the original question to be "all time" not just those within living memory of our younger support? Bert Cromer, John Valentine were real class acts who should not be forgotten. Same with the goalkeepers. Bobby Clark and Brown were internationalists, something our more recent crop were nowhere near.

Aye, but you can't blame folk for not picking players they've never seen play. Not like we have a back catalogue of video footage from days gone by to have seen these guys either. 

For me John McGregor is the shoo-in at centre half, perhaps with Willie Neil playing alongside him. Tommy Wilson would be in at right back and Barry Douglas at left back. Goalie? That's a tough one. Jim Cruickshank and Bobby Clark were before my time although both were still playing (for Hearts and Aberdeen) when I started going to football. I would probably go for someone much more recent from Crawford, Parry, Hart or Muir. Ach, I'll go with David Crawford. And that's me sticking with players I've seen playing for Queen's.

An all time Queen's XI is just about impossible if you've never actually seen the players in action. By reputation I guess the all time best Queen's goalie may well be Jack Harkness who played for the Wembley Wizards while still a Queen's player.  For outfield positions you're looking at names like Bob Gillespie, Alan Morton, Willie Lyon, Joe Kyle, Jimmie Crawford, all from before the war and none of us saw them play.

I'll name my defence first. Right back - Jimmy Boyle - consistently good every game. Left back - Barry Douglas - could defend, create and score great goals. Centre-halves - Paul McLean - magnificent player who due to a double leg break just after signing for Motherwell never had the career he deserved. Graeme Elder - the ultimate captain, who never took pleasure every time he booted the opposition centre-forward up in the air!

Keeper - still struggling to decide. So many great keepers - DC in his prime just pips Willie Muir, Neil Inglis, Colin Stewart (ok a loanee), Mike Monaghan. Tough choice though!

19 hours ago, an86 said:

I've never particularly liked the 'younger blood' as an excuse for pushing out more experienced campaigners. It's demonstrably ageist. You could stick someone in their 30s in and they might not make a contribution, whereas someone at 70 might. Vice-versa, of course. 

As a general point, though, I do think that most entities perform better with broader representation. Have we ever had a female committee member, for example? 

Like every club, we'll all have wee gripes, snipes and complaints at certain times. However, look at where we were, where we are, and where we're hopefully going and I don't think we can complain too much about the committee. In fact, they deserve enormous credit. Coming onto a forum and personalising the issue, as Dooflick did, is pretty below the belt tbh. 

Only named them because you said that you were on the Committee. However from TMWNN's  reaction to your post re your Committee 'phone in, I suspect that you  were lying and you are not on the Committee. At least I am giving an honest opinion about things.

You are right about people in their 30s as they do not have the experience of the world but I am sure there are Members out there, in their 50s who could do a good job for us and would bring fresh ideas to the club, like the current President ( in his 60s ) and the incoming one, who both have been brilliant in the last 12 months. Didn't mention their names as I did not want to be accused of being below the belt again.

19 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

For me John McGregor is the shoo-in at centre half, perhaps with Willie Neil playing alongside him. Tommy Wilson would be in at right back and Barry Douglas at left back. Goalie? That's a tough one. Jim Cruickshank and Bobby Clark were before my time although both were still playing (for Hearts and Aberdeen) when I started going to football. I would probably go for someone much more recent from Crawford, Parry, Hart or Muir. Ach, I'll go with David Crawford. And that's me sticking with players I've seen playing for Queen's.

An all time Queen's XI is just about impossible if you've never actually seen the players in action. By reputation I guess the all time best Queen's goalie may well be Jack Harkness who played for the Wembley Wizards while still a Queen's player.  For outfield positions you're looking at names like Bob Gillespie, Alan Morton, Willie Lyon, Joe Kyle, Jimmie Crawford, all from before the war and none of us saw them play.

Willie Neil would walk into my team. John McGregor too was a class act with all the potential and more of Robertson before he was injured. 

4 hours ago, bobthespider said:

Back line of Wilson -McGeever. McGregor -Douglas

Would agree apart from Willie Neill in place of Mcgeever, Would complement Mcgregor really well. Mcgregor was really class and would have been an internationall if his career hadn't been cut short. Saw him for the first time playing for our under 18's at Kilbowie (Clydebank) in the old Eastercraigs tournie V ? scored two goals with brilliant strikes (but was an awesome defender as well)

21 hours ago, Reclusespider said:

Funniest thing on here in ages!!!!!!!

For someone who's not a member you take a lot of interest in the running of a club you can't be bothered to join!

You mean he's not!!!!! Thought I say him playing for the club in 1980 so he was only 18 then? I am just an OAP who can't afford the money to be a member, but can afford a season ticket.

We should have been at Elgin today in what would have been one of the crunch games of the season. We will probably never know but confident we would have won this game. Ray and Laurie would have used the extra time away with the players to have them clued up on Elgin. One of the days where our new players would have stepped up to the plate and delivered. Elgin City 0 Queen's Park 3 (Salim, Slater, Galt).