Queen's Park 2019/20

1 hour ago, spider1867 said:

Jamieson definitely. Not heard about Galt yet. 

Galt was at Hampden doing community work today. 

*edit - Think Jamieson has a job outside of football that might not make full-time worthwhile. 

Edited by an86

Galt was at Hampden doing community work today. 
*edit - Think Jamieson has a job outside of football that might not make full-time worthwhile. 

We’ve got to remember that this might be the case for some players. I’m sure recruitment will be good this summer!

10 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

We’ve got to remember that this might be the case for some players. I’m sure recruitment will be good this summer!

Was always aware of the full time model being put in place, however just assumed that it would incorporate a hybrid system to suit part time players. I imagine then some top players will be joining for whenever the season starts up again!

7 hours ago, Chester Desmond said:

Heartening to see folk adopting the BIG CLUB mentality already.  Didn't take long at all.  f**k everyone else eh?

Those days are long gone. Money is everything and the clubs values have been discarded without a thought. Echoes of Gretna. I have not been back since the vote and will not be. Most overjoyed with these developments but not for me. The days of winning games based on good coaching and giving players an opportunity are distant memories. No more the underdog, no more upsetting the apple cart,  just like every other club with money or willing to spend money which is not there.

7 minutes ago, Glasgow1999 said:

Those days are long gone. Money is everything and the clubs values have been discarded without a thought. Echoes of Gretna. I have not been back since the vote and will not be. Most overjoyed with these developments but not for me. The days of winning games based on good coaching and giving players an opportunity are distant memories. No more the underdog, no more upsetting the apple cart,  just like every other club with money or willing to spend money which is not there.

I don't think it's a given that the ethos of the club is discarded. The cold facts are that, had we remained amateur, the risk of dropping out the league multiply each year. If that is what you are prepared to accept, then fair enough, but all the good coaching, youth system, opportunities to play etc get less and less prestigious and relevant. We're lucky to have the means to try to compete at a higher level and still maintain the values we are known for, and any club would want that.  I don't think anyone at the club or support I'm aware of are at all arrogant over this, but we're certainly not better than anyone else just because we're Queen's Park.

I hope you do come back btw.

3 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Hearing almost all players released today apart from Managers January signings. Even Sal 🙄

This is standard practice for pro players with one season contracts.  The only ones retained will be the ones that were given 18 month contracts.

6 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

I really thought we’d moved on from this tbh

Anyone thinking that we could have prospered without going pro is very wrong and I'm sure that they know it.  I never thought that I'd be up for it, but I don't fancy Caledonian Braves and the boys clubs or playing at community centre pitches rather than the chance of competing up a level, at least, from where we are.

54 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Anyone thinking that we could have prospered without going pro is very wrong and I'm sure that they know it.  I never thought that I'd be up for it, but I don't fancy Caledonian Braves and the boys clubs or playing at community centre pitches rather than the chance of competing up a level, at least, from where we are.

Absolutely. I've no regrets about turning pro, whatever happens. I'd just prefer any move up the leagues to be on merit. If League Two can start this season, whether it's in August/September, or whether it's in January, that's where we should play. 

Being misty eyed about tradition, whilst being pumped by Darvel had no appeal and the club would have died a slow death. We've a past to be proud of and nothing will ever change that. However, as a club who have been recently screwed by a bigger and wealthier organisation, I hope we'd think very, very carefully about our own actions and how they'd be perceived by others who find themselves in a position that we could very easily have been in. 

We used to complain about not being able to keep players, we should embrace the notion of being able to choose the best players

3 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

We used to complain about not being able to keep players, we should embrace the notion of being able to choose the best players

Yip. Spot on. Get, or preferably develop, good players and hang onto them.

4 hours ago, Glasgow1999 said:

Have fun supporting a new team then 

No other team for me. I understand why the vast majority supported the changes. I am just a dinosaur. Just would have preferred staying ameuter, whatever the consequences. I realise most supporters realistically feared what would happen without the change.  The consequences probably would have been huge given the changes in football and the club do now appear to be in a far better position than many others. The change was overwhelmingly supported and very openly done. So I hope it continues to prosper, I will just continue with my memories.

4 hours ago, Glasgow1999 said:

No other team for me. I understand why the vast majority supported the changes. I am just a dinosaur. Just would have preferred staying ameuter, whatever the consequences. I realise most supporters realistically feared what would happen without the change.  The consequences probably would have been huge given the changes in football and the club do now appear to be in a far better position than many others. The change was overwhelmingly supported and very openly done. So I hope it continues to prosper, I will just continue with my memories.

And I wish I was 21 again and a magnificent young buck ( no sniggering at the back), but I won't be relying on memories of then to keep me going. I'll embrace the "now" and make new memories. And so it is with Queen's, or any team. Things change, the team you support doesn't, and you continue to support them and hopefully continue to enjoy good times.