Queen's Park 2019/20

4 hours ago, an86 said:

Aye, I wonder just how many we'd manage to get in for the last game. Our biggest crowd, Rangers aside, since Thistle In the early 2000s I'd have thought. Every groundhopper in the country, plus pretty much everyone with even the slightest passing interest in QP.

Would imagine Lesser will be close to capacity for the first game as well, assuming we're restriction free by that point. I'd hope we'd use our contacts for an official opening. See if Sir Alex can arrange for a young Man United team to come up or something like that. They've played a few Scottish sides in fairly recent times. 

I think that you might be surprised with what happens with the SFA over Hampden. As I understand, reading between lines, the club will not be allowed to play at Lesser, by the Council, until all the work is done.

54 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

As I understand, reading between lines, the club will not be allowed to play at Lesser, by the Council, until all the work is done.

I don't think that would stop the SFA from chucking us out of Hampden though.

1 hour ago, Dooflick said:

I think that you might be surprised with what happens with the SFA over Hampden. As I understand, reading between lines, the club will not be allowed to play at Lesser, by the Council, until all the work is done.

I wouldn't expect us to be able to play at Lesser before it was ready. Wouldn't surprise me if we were familiarising ourselves with Airdrie for a spell again. That, for whatever reason, seems to be the 'go to' ground for us. 

I hope all Spiders fans on this forum are keeping well, coping with lockdown and not otherwise too badly affected by the current situation.
The Hampden question was something that was going through my mind too. Hopefully some common sense and decency will prevail and some arrangement can be made so we can have at least one final send off there. I'd like to think that the Committee had been giving this some thought prior to the virus putting everything on hold.

For anyone who hasn't seen them yet, check out the YouTube channel for the interviews with Galt and Ray. Between that, the reruns of some classic highlights, and messages from former players on Facebook, Sean and the rest of the media team are doing a great job to keep giving us QP some content to enjoy
By now we should have had the Player of the Year awards. Who would folk have voted for as their player and young player? And does anyone have the result to date from the votes taken on the away buses.
Difficult choice for me, but think I've narrowed it down to Salim or Galt (with Jamieson and Muir in the running also) though some of the January signing such as McLean and Grant also impressed. Young player for me would probably be McGrory.

Salim for me, all day long. A striker who scores goals isn't a particularly common thing for us. His all round game has come on leaps and bounds as well.

He's scored goals in what would probably be termed our 'big' wins this season, home and away to Edinburgh, and Queen of the South in the cup. The goals against the former were cracking. Also a couple of last minute equalisers at home to Stenny and Rovers as well. 

I'd be looking to bring in another quality striker next season because you need depth of quality to challenge for titles, but he'd be in my plans for next season if I were Ray McKinnon.

37 minutes ago, an86 said:

Salim for me, all day long. A striker who scores goals isn't a particularly common thing for us. His all round game has come on leaps and bounds as well.

He's scored goals in what would probably be termed our 'big' wins this season, home and away to Edinburgh, and Queen of the South in the cup. The goals against the former were cracking. Also a couple of last minute equalisers at home to Stenny and Rovers as well. 

I'd be looking to bring in another quality striker next season because you need depth of quality to challenge for titles, but he'd be in my plans for next season if I were Ray McKinnon.

Looking on the Alloa thread, there’s a couple mentions that we’re potentially trying to bring Trouten back. Would certainly be a more than ideal partner for Salim next season 

4 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

I hope all Spiders fans on this forum are keeping well, coping with lockdown and not otherwise too badly affected by the current situation.
The Hampden question was something that was going through my mind too. Hopefully some common sense and decency will prevail and some arrangement can be made so we can have at least one final send off there. I'd like to think that the Committee had been giving this some thought prior to the virus putting everything on hold.

For anyone who hasn't seen them yet, check out the YouTube channel for the interviews with Galt and Ray. Between that, the reruns of some classic highlights, and messages from former players on Facebook, Sean and the rest of the media team are doing a great job to keep giving us QP some content to enjoy
By now we should have had the Player of the Year awards. Who would folk have voted for as their player and young player? And does anyone have the result to date from the votes taken on the away buses.
Difficult choice for me, but think I've narrowed it down to Salim or Galt (with Jamieson and Muir in the running also) though some of the January signing such as McLean and Grant also impressed. Young player for me would probably be McGrory.

Would give poty to Salim overall, without him in the team, we’d have been down at the bottom with Brechin no doubt about it. However, I do think jamieson has been a fantastic signing, really think he could comfortably move up a couple a divisions and thrive. Really hope both players are here for next season 

9 hours ago, qpfc said:

Looking on the Alloa thread, there’s a couple mentions that we’re potentially trying to bring Trouten back. Would certainly be a more than ideal partner for Salim next season 

Galt, Slater, Trouten, Kouider-Aissa, probably another striker as well. Ooft.

15 hours ago, JT1867 said:

I don't think that would stop the SFA from chucking us out of Hampden though.

I think we've seen the SFA's thoughts on sentiment in the very recent past but I would hope that this won't be an issue. We do deserve at least one last official fixture at what is our stadium.  If this social distancing thing remains the only impediment to playing in front of a crowd, we're probably the only team in Scotland that could get away with opening the turnstiles and getting the punters to sit six feet apart and still have room for more!

15 hours ago, an86 said:

I wouldn't expect us to be able to play at Lesser before it was ready. Wouldn't surprise me if we were familiarising ourselves with Airdrie for a spell again. That, for whatever reason, seems to be the 'go to' ground for us. 

Everyone was thinking it but you had to actually say it! 

37 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Everyone was thinking it but you had to actually say it! 

I'm merely laying early groundwork for a campaign to make it Hamilton instead of Airdrie when the inevitable happens. Not that I found Hamilton a scintillating arena to watch football, but trying to sculpt the best from a less than ideal situation. 

It's much more accessible from anywhere on the southside/Rutherglen with a very quick change at Newton. Airdrie really gives you the option of driving or the bus, with very little around the ground. If you miss the bus, you can also still make the game without a big hassle. Crucially, there's also local amenities nearby. 

Airdrie have been good hosts, but I'd hope we'd shop around rather than just defaulting because it's what we've done before. Firhill would be the best option, but I don't think that would fly because of the grass pitch. 

Edited by an86

I see that no sooner do I post about player of the year, the Supporters Ascosiation have announced on the website that they are looking fo votes. I don't want to say I'm a trend setter, but....[emoji6]

2 hours ago, an86 said:

I'm merely laying early groundwork for a campaign to make it Hamilton instead of Airdrie when the inevitable happens. Not that I found Hamilton a scintillating arena to watch football, but trying to sculpt the best from a less than ideal situation. 

It's much more accessible from anywhere on the southside/Rutherglen with a very quick change at Newton. Airdrie really gives you the option of driving or the bus, with very little around the ground. If you miss the bus, you can also still make the game without a big hassle. Crucially, there's also local amenities nearby. 

Airdrie have been good hosts, but I'd hope we'd shop around rather than just defaulting because it's what we've done before. Firhill would be the best option, but I don't think that would fly because of the grass pitch. 

Yip, all for trying out Hamilton. living in Burnside, its a no brainer.

22 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

I'm more concerned about the SFA backing out of the purchase of Hampden or delaying the purchase payments.

If it's all signed and sealed, they don't have an option.

27 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Even if it is signed and sealed they can still play silly buggers and QP's only resort would be legal action which is very expensive.

It'd be more expensive for them, I'd wager. There's been no noises from the club signalling any issues. Indeed, positive noises have been made about contracts being offered regarding the building of Lesser.