Queen's Park 2019/20

Having watched the team for 55 years, it's not exactly easy to come up with my best XI. I'll split it all up into four different teams.  To be honest, I could change almost all of them, but it's only a bit of fun.  4-4-2 and possibly there would be better choices in terms of positions.

Footballers XI - probably the best footballers I've seen in a QP jersey.  In goals, Derek Atkins, no faffing about and a real consistency of performance.  Full backs, the rolling indefatigability that was Jimmy Boyle  with Bobby Dickson just pipping Gerry Colgan.  Two guys at the back - Willie Neil, who was  the epitome of solidity, and John McGregor, probably the best footballer I've seen at the club.  Four in the middle - Alan Irvine, who went on to play at the top level in England, Jimmy Rooney (one of my favourite players in all my years), Davie Anderson (beautiful to watch him make it all look so easy) and Old Malky instead of Mark Smith.    Up front, two guys whose goals saved us many a time, Jamie Longworth and Gerry McCoy.  

Next up, Entertainers XI ; guys who made me pay attention; guys who got the pulse racing.  In goal, Wullie Muir.  There's a wee bit of madness there, but not too much.  Full backs, Paul Paton and Paul McLaughlin; making up the back line, John McGregor again, who'd think nothing of beating guys in his own box, and Graeme Elder; four in the middle, Mark Smith, Neilly McFarlane, Alfie Stamp and Paul Harvey.  Up front, Davie Galt and Jim Gillespie; we're really lucky to have Davie and some of his touches are out of the top drawer and Jim Gillespie was as exciting as they come when he got into his stride.

Next, the Madcap XI;   a mixture of physical mayhem and "what will he do next"?  In goal, Davie Crawford, mad as a  brush off the park but one of the best keepers I've seen at QP.  Full backs, I'll put Paul McLaughlin in to partner the wild, wild tackler Frankie Thomson.  I can still picture Thomson flying through the air into reckless tackles.  Centre back pairing would be guys who played with each other, Alan Mackin and Ian McWilliams; no idea what they were going to come up with.  Midfield - Ian McCall, Ross Caven, Gerry Crawley and Lexie Grant; all of them with a wee bit of a mad side.  Up front, Brian McPhee and Davie Greig, one of these guys that you couldn't help warm to.

Lastly, a Hampden XI, guys whom I think represent what Queen's are all about.  Heart and soul, in love with football, even though they might have left us.  An indulgence on my part.  In goal, DC once again; full backs, Denis Connachan and Bobby Dickson again; back four, Eddie Hunter, the lion-hearted Richard Sinclair, Paul Martin and Ross Caven.  Midfield - Ian Campbell, Danny Ferry, the legend that is Tony Quinn and Davie Galt;  Up front - Dougie Wilkie, a QP fan, and Jimmy Nicholson.  I'd have Peter Buchanan there on the bench.  Well, he's about 90, the guy could only manage the last 20! He'd be partnered by Davie Greig, the wee-est man with the biggest heart.

Bags of outstanding players left out.  I went through that lot and realised that I've missed out almost all of the team that Billy Stark took up.  That would be my favourite team though, a little ahead of the team of the mid-1980s which wasn't promoted.  That season we went up with Stark was a whirlwind.  The players we had then - what an array of talent and they really gelled as a team.  We were lucky that Gardner Spiers rolled that team on and we saw some outstanding football under his watch, that sadly didn't materialise into promotions.  Those were truly great days to be a QP fan.  I really enjoyed the Gus years too.  It was always a bit near the edge for my nerves, but his was a team that got the results.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

21 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Having watched the team for 55 years, it's not exactly easy to come up with my best XI. I'll split it all up into four different teams.  To be honest, I could change almost all of them, but it's only a bit of fun.  4-4-2 and possibly there would be better choices in terms of positions.

Footballers XI - probably the best footballers I've seen in a QP jersey.  In goals, Derek Atkins, no faffing about and a real consistency of performance.  Full backs, the rolling indefatigability that was Jimmy Boyle  with Bobby Dickson just pipping Gerry Colgan.  Two guys at the back - Willie Neil, who was  the epitome of solidity, and John McGregor, probably the best footballer I've seen at the club.  Four in the middle - Alan Irvine, who went on to play at the top level in England, Jimmy Rooney (one of my favourite players in all my years), Davie Anderson (beautiful to watch him make it all look so easy) and Old Malky instead of Mark Smith.    Up front, two guys whose goals saved us many a time, Jamie Longworth and Gerry McCoy.  

Next up, Entertainers XI ; guys who made me pay attention; guys who got the pulse racing.  In goal, Wullie Muir.  There's a wee bit of madness there, but not too much.  Full backs, Paul Paton and Paul McLaughlin; making up the back line, John McGregor again, who'd think nothing of beating guys in his own box, and Graeme Elder; four in the middle, Mark Smith, Neilly McFarlane, Alfie Stamp and Paul Harvey.  Up front, Davie Galt and Jim Gillespie; we're really lucky to have Davie and some of his touches are out of the top drawer and Jim Gillespie was as exciting as they come when he got into his stride.

Next, the Madcap XI;   a mixture of physical mayhem and "what will he do next"?  In goal, Davie Crawford, mad as a  brush off the park but one of the best keepers I've seen at QP.  Full backs, I'll put Paul McLaughlin in to partner the wild, wild tackler Frankie Thomson.  I can still picture Thomson flying through the air into reckless tackles.  Centre back pairing would be guys who played with each other, Alan Mackin and Ian McWilliams; no idea what they were going to come up with.  Midfield - Ian McCall, Ross Caven, Gerry Crawley and Lexie Grant; all of them with a wee bit of a mad side.  Up front, Brian McPhee and Davie Greig, one of these guys that you couldn't help warm to.

Lastly, a Hampden XI, guys whom I think represent what Queen's are all about.  Heart and soul, in love with football, even though they might have left us.  An indulgence on my part.  In goal, DC once again; full backs, Denis Connachan and Bobby Dickson again; back four, Eddie Hunter, the lion-hearted Richard Sinclair, Paul Martin and Ross Caven.  Midfield - Ian Campbell, Danny Ferry, the legend that is Tony Quinn and Davie Galt;  Up front - Dougie Wilkie, a QP fan, and Jimmy Nicholson.  I'd have Peter Buchanan there on the bench.  Well, he's about 90, the guy could only manage the last 20! He'd be partnered by Davie Greig, the wee-est man with the biggest heart.

Bags of outstanding players left out.  I went through that lot and realised that I've missed out almost all of the team that Billy Stark took up.  That would be my favourite team though, a little ahead of the team of the mid-1980s which wasn't promoted.  That season we went up with Stark was a whirlwind.  The players we had then - what an array of talent and they really gelled as a team.  We were lucky that Gardner Spiers rolled that team on and we saw some outstanding football under his watch, that sadly didn't materialise into promotions.  Those were truly great days to be a QP fan.  I really enjoyed the Gus years too.  It was always a bit near the edge for my nerves, but his was a team that got the results.

Is that a Hampden XIII?

Where do we stand on the current shambles? I was in favour of a Yes vote because of the dire need for clubs to get money in their pockets, although I fully understand the likes of Hearts and Thistle spitting blood. 

The Dundee farce means a Yes vote could not pass with any credibility, even if they changed their mind. Something absolutely reeking about the whole thing. 

It's time for every club to get the sensible heads on and realise nobody is going to get exactly what they want. Whilst awarding titles isn't ideal, it would be even sillier just to write of 75% of a season. Award them and don't relegate anyone. Extend the leagues to two 14s and a 16, incorporating Kelty and Brora. 

It will dilute prize money in the future, but clubs are going to have to wise up if they want money to survive. We're in a stronger position than most, but given our recent history, and what might have been, I feel that there is a moral obligation upon us to argue in the best interests of our fellow small clubs. 

20 minutes ago, an86 said:

Where do we stand on the current shambles? I was in favour of a Yes vote because of the dire need for clubs to get money in their pockets, although I fully understand the likes of Hearts and Thistle spitting blood. 

The Dundee farce means a Yes vote could not pass with any credibility, even if they changed their mind. Something absolutely reeking about the whole thing. 

It's time for every club to get the sensible heads on and realise nobody is going to get exactly what they want. Whilst awarding titles isn't ideal, it would be even sillier just to write of 75% of a season. Award them and don't relegate anyone. Extend the leagues to two 14s and a 16, incorporating Kelty and Brora. 

It will dilute prize money in the future, but clubs are going to have to wise up if they want money to survive. We're in a stronger position than most, but given our recent history, and what might have been, I feel that there is a moral obligation upon us to argue in the best interests of our fellow small clubs. 

We shouldn't be reorganising the leagues just to stop a team or two being relegated.  We should be reorganising the leagues because / if the result will be a better set-up.

3 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

We shouldn't be reorganising the leagues just to stop a team or two being relegated.  We should be reorganising the leagues because / if the result will be a better set-up.

I think this presents us with the opportunity to do it, though. There was no real sign that it was ever likely to happen. The placings are absolutely fine, the record books should obviously show Hearts and Thistle finishing bottom. However, it doesn't quite sit quite right with me that both should take a big financial hit, if avoidable. 

For what it's worth, I would have reluctantly voted for the proposal on the basis of clubs receiving their money asap. That's the biggest and most important issue. However, if there's a way of making that happen in a fairer way and potentially making a more interesting league setup, I'd prefer that. 

On 12/04/2020 at 17:02, The man with no name said:

I think they should televise the next SPFL board meeting. That will be as exciting as getting the footie back!

Good shout, the whole thing is a farce,they should in may humble opinion, have declared the season null and void and just handed out the money on he current placings.

41 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Good shout, the whole thing is a farce,they should in may humble opinion, have declared the season null and void and just handed out the money on he current placings.

There's no ideal situation, but it makes even less sense to me to pretend the season didn't happen at all than it does to call it after 75% of games played. 

I believe there's issues of legality around pay outs if you null and void a season. You can't hand out money on placings if you're not willing to call those placings. If the money could be paid out at all, it'd have to be split equally. Higher up the leagues, you also couldn't have European places for a competition that didn't happen and on top of that, you could see people with legitimate cases for reimbursement of season tickets etc. 

The fairest way is to award the titles and find a way of making sure teams in uncertain league positions are shielded from financial hits. That means reconstruction.

Cove were going to win the league and I'd be amazed if there was a single dissenting voice against that. Thistle, Hearts, Stranraer, Falkirk, Brora and Kelty are probably the only clubs with legitimate causes for grievance. I think there's ways to make sure they are dealt with fairly. The rest, from other clubs, is just noise playing to the crowd.