Queen's Park 2019/20

43 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:
6 hours ago, spiders4ever said:
What do people think about the refusal to play the games behind closed doors? The argument seems to be it would be unfair for the players and their families for the games to go ahead. BUT doesn't that apply to everyone who has a paid job? I reckon that it is far more dangerous to work in a crowded office than to share a pitch with 21 other players. Should we close down all hospitals, fire stations, shops, factories and offices? A serious question - what is special about footballers?
And they are right.

Most players at this level are part time and playing football isn't their main source of income. They'll be exposed to the same risk as anyone else in their day job.

Indeed that's my point. Part time players will be more at risk in their other jobs. Full time players will be more at risk from their families.

13 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

What do people think about the refusal to play the games behind closed doors? The argument seems to be it would be unfair for the players and their families for the games to go ahead. BUT doesn't that apply to everyone who has a paid job? I reckon that it is far more dangerous to work in a crowded office than to share a pitch with 21 other players. Should we close down all hospitals, fire stations, shops, factories and offices? A serious question - what is special about footballers?

Hospitals and fire stations are life and death. Factories produce things like food, which is also life and death. People also don't get money in their bank accounts on pay day without offices. 

That's the difference between all of those things and football. 

What's everybody thoughts regarding our squad. If there is no more football this season as is expected.  We will still be in league 2. We have our new players signed. Which players of our existing squad do you think Ray will keep. If we had been promoted the squad may have been different. If as expected we are going to a possible full time model. As other posts have said some guys will not be willing to give up their day jobs. It may be a full time/part time model to allow players like David Galt to be part of the club going forward. 

We have Slater, Grant, Maclean and Bell signed up for next season.

Who else from our squad do we think will be part of Ray's plans. 

Muir, Galt, Salsurely will be included. 

We may bring some of the loan players back if possible. 

I would like to see Jamieson kept but he may try something else. Joffrey may want to try something else as has not featured as much as he would like. Kieran has  potential that can be worked on. 

I would like to see some of our younger players kept and help them progress. Magee, McGrory, Grant and Hegarthy. 

Edited by spider1867

I have no idea what the financial situation and arrangements are for our club. I notice on other teams threads on here that fans seem keen on the idea of transferring admission money for cancelled home games to the club as a means of helping out. I think this is very laudable. Wonder what any season ticket holder thinks of asking the club to sell season tickets for next season at this season's price for the next two weeks only? I know that nobody knows if there will be a full next season but I would see it as a donation to the club at the very least. A possible win/win situation?

19 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I have no idea what the financial situation and arrangements are for our club. I notice on other teams threads on here that fans seem keen on the idea of transferring admission money for cancelled home games to the club as a means of helping out. I think this is very laudable. Wonder what any season ticket holder thinks of asking the club to sell season tickets for next season at this season's price for the next two weeks only? I know that nobody knows if there will be a full next season but I would see it as a donation to the club at the very least. A possible win/win situation?

I'm sure anyone who is in the position to donate/buy a season ticket as normal will do so. This is a completely unprecedented situation and we're lucky enough to be in a privileged position, but we'll still need supporters to step up. 

33 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Due to the financial prudence of the Club and the Treasurer we are in a more fortunate position than most Clubs. We have significant cash reserves and have the ability to absorb short to medium term cash deficiencies. We have no need to panic. 

Once decisions are made and football starts again (don't expect it soon) then if everyone can come back and do what they can financially to help the Club (buying a season ticket, paying into a game, buying a pint at the Social Club, sponsoring a player) then the Club will survive.

Other clubs and the wider community might not be so fortunate.

1 hour ago, The man with no name said:

Due to the financial prudence of the Club and the Treasurer we are in a more fortunate position than most Clubs. We have significant cash reserves and have the ability to absorb short to medium term cash deficiencies. We have no need to panic. 

Once decisions are made and football starts again (don't expect it soon) then if everyone can come back and do what they can financially to help the Club (buying a season ticket, paying into a game, buying a pint at the Social Club, sponsoring a player) then the Club will survive.

Other clubs and the wider community might not be so fortunate.

Well said TMWNN and thank you for that information. No matter how much you deny it you are quite clearly  a member of the Committee by the way you speak so confidently on many matters on this forum.

31 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Well said TMWNN and thank you for that information. No matter how much you deny it you are quite clearly  a member of the Committee by the way you speak so confidently on many matters on this forum.

If he's not then I'll eat my bowler hat.

9 hours ago, Dooflick said:

Why are you so obsessed with this? A lot of folk know who is who on here, but if folk want to be anonymous then it's their right. 

Edited by an86

Just read this wee poem on The Guardian:

"The wise old men of Mount Florida knew
If the game was to flourish some changes were due
When the science of football emerged from the dark
It was due in the main to the men of Queens Park
Crossbars and corners, free kicks and throw ins
The scientific game"

I'm sure you're all aware of it, but I'd never seen it before.

Just read this wee poem on The Guardian: "The wise old men of Mount Florida knew
If the game was to flourish some changes were due
When the science of football emerged from the dark
It was due in the main to the men of Queens Park
Crossbars and corners, free kicks and throw ins
The scientific game"

I'm sure you're all aware of it, but I'd never seen it before.

A song by the late, great Michael Marra. See link below.

On 19/03/2020 at 19:51, an86 said:

Why are you so obsessed with this? A lot of folk know who is who on here, but if folk want to be anonymous then it's their right. 

Everybody is anonymous on this forum. Are you a Committee man as well?

Noticed highlights were put up of the 4-0 trashing of Clyde back in 2011. Watching a prime Anderson and Longworth running the show is terrific viewing 

Makes you really wonder how we didn’t get promoted at any point with that group of players 

21 hours ago, qpfc said:

Noticed highlights were put up of the 4-0 trashing of Clyde back in 2011. Watching a prime Anderson and Longworth running the show is terrific viewing 

Makes you really wonder how we didn’t get promoted at any point with that group of players 

Really enjoyed watching that yesterday. Was great to hear Martin Kelly doing the commentary as well.

21 hours ago, qpfc said:

I hope Anderson understands how much he was appreciated and loved at QP.

I was 13 in 2011. At that age, dribbling past players, tricking their direction and playing the game of deception was all that mattered. Davy done that every game in the middle of the park. Loved watching him play. 

1 hour ago, QPSpider1867 said:

I hope Anderson understands how much he was appreciated and loved at QP.

I was 13 in 2011. At that age, dribbling past players, tricking their direction and playing the game of deception was all that mattered. Davy done that every game in the middle of the park. Loved watching him play. 

The fact he was such a good dribbler while also being one of the best tacklers you'll see is what made him such an extraordinary player.