Queen's Park 2019/20

Positive post alert. No time for negativity. 

So that's now 10 league games under Raymondo.

6 wins, 3 draws, and only 1 defeat (to the league leaders) That's pretty impressive stuff.

People moaning about the draws with the bottom three but we've also beaten the three teams directly above us.

Before he took over we were facing a relegation battle, now we're in the mix for the play offs.  Of course turning pro and strengthening the squad has helped. It also raises expectations and demands. I get that but it's also sensible to get things into perspective. Turning pro - for me anyway - was all about getting safe this season and having a real crack at promotion next season. I didn't expect this much progress over the last two and a bit months so I see us as being a bit ahead of schedule. Already looking forward to next season no matter what happens with the remainder of this one. 

42 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

6 wins, 3 draws, and only 1 defeat (to the league leaders) That's pretty impressive stuff.

People moaning about the draws with the bottom three but we've also beaten the three teams directly above us.

Before he took over we were facing a relegation battle, now we're in the mix for the play offs.  Of course turning pro and strengthening the squad has helped. It also raises expectations and demands. I get that but it's also sensible to get things into perspective. Turning pro - for me anyway - was all about getting safe this season and having a real crack at promotion next season. I didn't expect this much progress over the last two and a bit months so I see us as being a bit ahead of schedule. Already looking forward to next season no matter what happens with the remainder of this one. 

Fair play with his record and he has taken the club away from the dreaded play off. And pushed us up to within touching distance of promotion play offs. The reason I thought we changed to pro was to protect our long term future especially of our youth set up. Meaning we can demand fees for talented youngsters coming through the ranks instead of losing them for nothing. 

2 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Absolutely everyone would have taken this record, if offered, ten games ago. You don't build squads in January, regardless of how much you have to spend. You improve them. That's what we've done. 

2 hours ago, spider1867 said:

The reason I thought we changed to pro was to protect our long term future especially of our youth set up. Meaning we can demand fees for talented youngsters coming through the ranks instead of losing them for nothing. 

There was definitely a few long term reasons. I was thinking more of our immediate future and the reason for doing it this season. 

There was definitely a few long term reasons. I was thinking more of our immediate future and the reason for doing it this season. 
I think all the long term reasons mentioned by spider1867 were very much valid and key reasons for turning pro, but as you say, the reason for the push to get it done back in November rather than wait till the end of the season was to give us the best chance of still being in the SPFL come May.
That goal has fairly certainly now been achieved.
The goal now is of course promotion, and while if we can manage that this season that would be fantastic, given where we were before Christmas I wont be overly disappointed if we dont get up this time, but can strengthen for a real push for it next season.
I would obviously be delighted with promotion via the playoffs this year, but there is a small (blindly optomistic) part of me thinking it might be even better to go up as Champions next year.

We've moved on so much in the past couple of months, and every credit to Ray and the players for that, I would see missing the play offs as being a failure. Cowden and Ed City are a wee bit wobbly after being pretty impressive early on. The playing field is a lot more level than it was. An early goal on Saturday is what we need to kick on.

5 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

We've moved on so much in the past couple of months, and every credit to Ray and the players for that, I would see missing the play offs as being a failure. Cowden and Ed City are a wee bit wobbly after being pretty impressive early on. The playing field is a lot more level than it was. An early goal on Saturday is what we need to kick on.

The top two are miles clear of the rest so Edinburgh can afford to be wobbly, although they have only lost one of their last 5 games. I know what you are saying though, last season we couldn't lay a glove on them in any of the matches, we can take points off them now.

Hopefully the results will go in our favour tonight but it's great to be involved anyway. We were in no man's land this time last season. I want to go to games feeling nerves, excitement, and anxiety  

Edited by Mick1867

20 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Strong Reserve side playing Livingston tonight. 

Screenshot_20200310_123150_com.twitter.android.jpg

2 nil to Livingston however doesn't tell story of the game, against a very experienced premier league side, lost 2 early goals in the 1st half as Livi controlled most of the first half, Queens played some excellent football in the 2nd half and took the game to there premier opponents, few players pushing for inclusion in the matchday squad in the forthcoming weeks 

1 hour ago, Shoogs73 said:

2 nil to Livingston however doesn't tell story of the game, against a very experienced premier league side, lost 2 early goals in the 1st half as Livi controlled most of the first half, Queens played some excellent football in the 2nd half and took the game to there premier opponents, few players pushing for inclusion in the matchday squad in the forthcoming weeks 

Was hoping to get through but kept late at work. What was the team last night. Who played well? 

51 minutes ago, spider1867 said:

Was hoping to get through but kept late at work. What was the team last night. Who played well? 

Starting XI
Bell, J Grant, McDonald, Jamieson, Little, McGrory, Whitmore, Main, Moore, Rodger, Lleshi

Subs
McQuade, Robinson, Ebbs, McFarlane, Biggar, Heraghty

Standouts would say McGrory, Moore, Grant (when moved to midfield) 2 sloppy goals tbh and shoud have been prevented, little and Jamieson coped very well with Souda and Menga really good test for the team, interesting to see what info Ellis and Quinn relay to Ray for Saturday with Slater suspended 

2 hours ago, Shoogs73 said:

Starting XI
Bell, J Grant, McDonald, Jamieson, Little, McGrory, Whitmore, Main, Moore, Rodger, Lleshi

Subs
McQuade, Robinson, Ebbs, McFarlane, Biggar, Heraghty

Standouts would say McGrory, Moore, Grant (when moved to midfield) 2 sloppy goals tbh and shoud have been prevented, little and Jamieson coped very well with Souda and Menga really good test for the team, interesting to see what info Ellis and Quinn relay to Ray for Saturday with Slater suspended 

Good side. How did Bell play? Was expecting Joffrey to play to give him some game time. Good to see the players have still got a good attitude even if not starting or being included. McGrory Grant and Moore 3 younger players who must a chance of being offered a new deal for next season. Good work out for Jamieson and Little. 

1 minute ago, spider1867 said:

Good side. How did Bell play? Was expecting Joffrey to play to give him some game time. Good to see the players have still got a good attitude even if not starting or being included. McGrory Grant and Moore 3 younger players who must a chance of being offered a new deal for next season. Good work out for Jamieson and Little. 

Bell did well, also plenty of instruction and good coaching from him to the younger players which they took on board, i believe Joffrey has been in France for 4 days seeing family and is returning Thursday, good workout for them all with good minutes in the legs, moving into the business end of the season 

21 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Good to see the players have still got a good attitude even if not starting or being included. 

Sure is. I imagine anybody who chucks it or stops trying just because they aren't currently in a team that has only lost 1 of our last 10 would be shown the door in the summer by McKinnon. But we have a good bunch of guys in the squad so I have faith that we have nobody like that. 

On 09/03/2020 at 11:05, Mick1867 said:

Let's spin this in another light. Just to stir the camp.  If a conflicting opinion is allowed folks?

Ray can't be assessed on the Stenny or Edinburgh games. He didn't know the players, got major assisting in picking the teams and has wiped out nearly all of the players in the starting 11.

So, based on the 8 games he's left his stamp on with his new squad (many of which are full-time), he's had 4 wins 3 draws 1 loss. 50% wins with 8 (could be wrong) new players including full-time professionals. Not great is it. The other side of that coin is 1 loss in 8 games is still excellent. But, with the money spent at this level, it's expected I'm afraid. He's not shown any decision making during a game that's impressed me.

I like Ray and I like some of the new crop that's came in. I also stated in January that i'm expecting nothing from this season. However, my stance has changed. Not making top 4 would be a failure. I think someone noted you can't build a team in January. He's had a fair stab at it. 

2 minutes ago, QPSpider1867 said:

If a conflicting opinion is allowed folks?

Why wouldn't it be?  Is that not the whole point of this forum?

Here's another opinion.

No matter how this season ends, the real failure was only taking 19 points from the first 18 games. 

3 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

McKinnon has done wonders since coming in, we would be fighting at the bottom if Roberts was still here.

I suppose the question some people might ask is "If Roberts was kept on and given the same budget in January, would he have got us challenging for the play offs?"

Compared to McKinnon, does he have the same contacts in the game? Would he have attracted the same calibre of player? Would he have eventually ceased his resistance to getting in loan players? What is he like balancing a transfer budget? Would he have adapted his training and coaching methods? 

Nobody will know, we can only speculate .