Queen's Park 2019/20

Been hearing some great things about the new methods that McKinnon and Ellis have brought to the training ground. Players and other backroom staff raving about the  coaching they are now getting. One of the backroom staff saying it reminded him of the Billy Stark days with everyone enthused and also enjoying it.  I suppose good results help as well with the general mood but you don''t get good results without excellent training.  

46 minutes ago, an86 said:

Article about Joffrey Lidouren in the Herald

Imagine landing on Scottish soil dreaming of lochs and castles, only to end up in an Irvine crack den and be booted about by Kevin Nicol on a Saturday. 

In all seriousness, I'm glad he got himself into a better situation. Good player and seems an interesting guy as well. 

Great read. So here's a great wee song for him.

Edited by Mick1867

As an old timer, I can remember the "good old days" when. as a wean, your Dad lifted you over the turnstiles at Hampden and many other grounds. I even remember, on the occassions when my Dad was working, when the gates got opened for the last 20 minutes and all us Mount Florida "tykes" got in for free to see the end of a game.

I remember explaining to my Dad my recollection's about going to an away game on the supporter's bus, and his amazement that I was only 5years old then.

I reckon that's why I've got QP in my DNA, I got hooked early doors 🐵

With our forthcoming move to the "farmhouse" and the various suggestions on how to appeal to a wider homebase, it seems recent "soundings" from the chairman and committee have been encouraging. For example last weekends tickets to Alex and his/her 90 something year old Dad.

Why don't we have a trial policy of giving "complimentary" tickets to every Primary School within a couple of mile radius, enough to cover their own Primary Fitba team, even if they don't have one, say mibbe 20 freebies. If it was me I'd let every Primary School age kid in for free. I reckon that way there would be more kids like me, still coming back after 70+ years.

When you think of our catchment area, the potential is huge. Govanhill (has 5 Primary Schools), Mount Florida(1), Battlefield(2), Castlemilk(8), Toryglen(5), Shawlands/Giffnock(5), Cathcart/King'sPark(5). And that's only those a mile or so away, we then could  spread the net slightly further afield.

Most of these kids would probably bring an adult, they would spend money in the "souvenir/tuck shop", and just think of the positive publicity the club would get in the community news outlets. There will be a fair bit of publicity when we finally open the "new ground" for business, what a buzz there could be if we handle it properly.

4 hours ago, an86 said:

Article about Joffrey Lidouren in the Herald

Imagine landing on Scottish soil dreaming of lochs and castles, only to end up in an Irvine crack den and be booted about by Kevin Nicol on a Saturday. 

In all seriousness, I'm glad he got himself into a better situation. Good player and seems an interesting guy as well. 

That should definitely be made into a sitcom!

Enjoyed reading the article, he’s a player who I really think can thrive for us and he seemed a lovely guy at the Meet the Players event earlier in the season.

I hope his personal circumstances allow for a long and happy stay in Scotland but sadly I fear the Brexit factor here.

1 hour ago, QP's in my DNA said:

As an old timer, I can remember the "good old days" when. as a wean, your Dad lifted you over the turnstiles at Hampden and many other grounds. I even remember, on the occassions when my Dad was working, when the gates got opened for the last 20 minutes and all us Mount Florida "tykes" got in for free to see the end of a game.

I remember explaining to my Dad my recollection's about going to an away game on the supporter's bus, and his amazement that I was only 5years old then.

I reckon that's why I've got QP in my DNA, I got hooked early doors 🐵

With our forthcoming move to the "farmhouse" and the various suggestions on how to appeal to a wider homebase, it seems recent "soundings" from the chairman and committee have been encouraging. For example last weekends tickets to Alex and his/her 90 something year old Dad.

Why don't we have a trial policy of giving "complimentary" tickets to every Primary School within a couple of mile radius, enough to cover their own Primary Fitba team, even if they don't have one, say mibbe 20 freebies. If it was me I'd let every Primary School age kid in for free. I reckon that way there would be more kids like me, still coming back after 70+ years.

When you think of our catchment area, the potential is huge. Govanhill (has 5 Primary Schools), Mount Florida(1), Battlefield(2), Castlemilk(8), Toryglen(5), Shawlands/Giffnock(5), Cathcart/King'sPark(5). And that's only those a mile or so away, we then could  spread the net slightly further afield.

Most of these kids would probably bring an adult, they would spend money in the "souvenir/tuck shop", and just think of the positive publicity the club would get in the community news outlets. There will be a fair bit of publicity when we finally open the "new ground" for business, what a buzz there could be if we handle it properly.

Some great points in there.

The kids community coaching that the Club offer on a Saturday morning is fantastic and it would be great if there is a way to get more of the families involved in that to come along to the first team games on a Saturday afternoon.

31 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

That should definitely be made into a sitcom!

Enjoyed reading the article, he’s a player who I really think can thrive for us and he seemed a lovely guy at the Meet the Players event earlier in the season.

I hope his personal circumstances allow for a long and happy stay in Scotland but sadly I fear the Brexit factor here.

Don't want to get involved in politics but Brexit should not be a problem. He lives here now.

I reckon that's why I've got QP in my DNA, I got hooked early doors [emoji204]

I got an email today about nominations for the committee at the AGM. With posts like that your on danger of drawing attention to yourself [emoji846]
Couldn't agree more with that post, hopefully those reading these forums that are on the committee take notice. Get the local kids in and save them from the poison of the Old Firm.

Some great points in there.
The kids community coaching that the Club offer on a Saturday morning is fantastic and it would be great if there is a way to get more of the families involved in that to come along to the first team games on a Saturday afternoon.
My son goes along to the community sessions on a Saturday morning, and they do occasionally hand out free tickets for the games, but there is no reason why they shouldn't do this every week. I think possibly the parents get in free on those occasions too, and we probably cant let them in for nothing all the time, but I'm sure there are some kind of discounts or incentives we could offer them.
There are dozens of primary aged kids and their parents already literally in Lesser Hampden every saturday morning. We should be encouraging them to come to games and, as has been said, spend money while their there.

15 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

Don't want to get involved in politics but Brexit should not be a problem. He lives here now.

You'd like to think that he would get "settled status" no problem but I don't trust this shower. The sooner Scotland handles our own immigration the better.

19 hours ago, QP's in my DNA said:

I even remember, on the occassions when my Dad was working, when the gates got opened for the last 20 minutes and all us Mount Florida "tykes" got in for free to see the end of a game.

Oh those were the days. We did this at every cup semi or final. I mind we jumped into the Aberdeen end ( if I remember correctly that was most of the East Terracing) at the 1982 Scottish Cup final and got another half hour of extra time to watch them pump Rangers 4-1. I remember Aberdeen's 3rd that was right in front of us - a tap in by Strachan, after a Rangers player had suddenly pulled up with some sort of injury and fell on his arse. Hilarious.

36 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

I see Stuart Morrison has made team of the week, what's he been like for you guys?

He had a cracking game on Saturday when we played him in his correct position of central defender. Up until then we have been playing him in defensive midfield and he has done very well there. Hoping you might let us sign him for next season. Seems a really nice lad.

18 hours ago, VinnyPar said:

I see Stuart Morrison has made team of the week, what's he been like for you guys?

Pretty solid. As Willie says, Saturday was his best game by far. MOTM imo but the match sponsors  obviously got steamin at the hospitality so didn't award it to him.