Queen's Park 2019/20

29 minutes ago, spider1867 said:

My only concern going forward is that wee lose our tradition as a club of giving our own a chance. With turning pro which I was all for we have brought lots of players in and others lined up for next season depending what league we are in. We have very few youngsters who look like they will get a chance with new management. We have very few youngsters left in our squad and will they even be given a chance next year. The like of Grant, Main, McGrory, Magee and McGuire. Will any of these young lads even be offered a deal next year. Is this just what we will do now but all clubs like to see one of their own making progress. 

If they are good enough, they will play in the first team, simple as that. We are not a youth team. If another Andy Robertson or Shankland appears from the system, most likely they will be involved. 

Edited by qpfc

1 hour ago, an86 said:

I have absolutely no problem with ambition, but going public to shout about Championship and Premiership isn't really helpful when we're 4th in League Two. I'd rather we went about our business quietly on that front and did our talking on the pitch. 

It's maybe more about the fact that he thinks that's where he should be playing rather than Tier 4. He's not been part of the turmoil and settling we all have been through the last 2 years. It's a message to his pals and any agents listening. Not a statemnt on behalf of QPFC. If we do get promoted you can expect a lot more like this, from a lot more players. The most disturbing part of all of this is to learn that at least one of our fans still reads the daily Record 😄

I didn't join in the "Ray McKinnon" song yesterday. All of these guys are in it for the money and to reboot their careers. They don't love QP like I and the rest of our fans do. And as mercenaries have done since the dawn of time, whoever has the biggest bounty to offer will get their services.  And consequently, they will be used and abused by their employers. And QP fans, like all other pro teams, will have the right to applaud or criticise without shame. It's who we are now.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Everyone knows we're ambitious, but having players coming out and mentioning the Premiership when we're still in League Two just looks a bit silly.

I understand that the ambition of the club is an attraction to the players, but their one and only focus when they're in the door should be the here and now. We can't achieve playoffs without finishing 4th. That's now the aim given our league position. Talk of anything else just sounds presumptuous. 

Agree with that, there is an element of running before we can walk at the moment.

Understandably the focus is on the pitch just now, but I would like to see off the field efforts stepped up as well. 

Football for a fiver is a good start, but we've got 50,000 free seats at every home game for the next nine months so let's get the community guys out in the schools giving away free tickets and try to get local kids into the habit of coming to watch us. 

Commercial as well. When was the last time we had adverts other than Barr's at a home game? At Lesser as well, half the boards on the far side have fallen apart and have been like that for a year or longer, hardly an incentive to potential advertisers to get involved. Let's get them fixed and sell the rest of the spaces.

20 minutes ago, qpfc said:

If they are good enough, they will play in the first team, simple as that. We are not a youth team. If another Andy Robertson or Shankland appears from the system, most likely they will involved. 

That's very true. But at all of the meetings held by the club over the ground sale, the vote to amend the Articles and everything that surrounded both those events the question of supporting youth development was repeatedly highlighted as being very important to the members and fans. There was then an implied threat from the club that if we stayed amateur, and the inevitable drop to the Lowland occurred, the youth set-up couldn't possibly be maintained. A fait accompli. Professionalism woul be a key driver in retaining the highly acclaimed youth development structure. It's not hard to see how some might be questioning that commitment already.

It was even mentioned that it was an "ambition" for QP to offer parents a viable alternative to Celtic or Rangers for their little starlets. And regularly mentioned that one of the big draws to coming to QP was that "we give youngsters the early chance of first team football". Seems a bit hollow after punting Gibby and Billy. Who by the way could have put in a better shift than young Davidson yesterday.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

6 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It's maybe more about the fact that he thinks that's where he should be playing rather than Tier 4. He's not been part of the turmoil and settling we all have been through the last 2 years. It's a message to his pals and any agents listening. Not a statemnt on behalf of QPFC. If we do get promoted you can expect a lot more like this, from a lot more players. The most disturbing part of all of this is to learn that at least one of our fans still reads the daily Record 😄

I didn't join in the "Ray McKinnon" song yesterday. All of these guys are in it for the money and to reboot their careers. They don't love QP like I and the rest of our fans do. And as mercenaries have done since the dawn of time, whoever has the biggest bounty to offer will get their services.  And consequently, they will be used and abused by their employers. And QP fans, like all other pro teams, will have the right to applaud or criticise without shame. It's who we are now.

I can't say I feel the same. Wouldn't have said a great number of the amateur players loved the club either. They were kicking a ball for a team who would give them a game, same as most players at this level. We've been used as a stepping stone by many as well. 

I don't feel any different in relation to the stuff on the park. The team plays in black and white and the emotions are exactly the same during the game. Expectations have risen a bit, but that's all that's really changed for me. 

17 minutes ago, JT1867 said:

Football for a fiver is a good start, but we've got 50,000 free seats at every home game for the next nine months so let's get the community guys out in the schools giving away free tickets and try to get local kids into the habit of coming to watch us. 

And a special Free Frisking guaranteed.

9 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It was even mentioned that it was an "ambition" for QP to offer parents a viable alternative to Celtic or Rangers for their little starlets. And regularly mentioned that one of the big draws to coming to QP was that "we give youngsters the early chance of first team football". Seems a bit hollow after punting Gibby and Billy. Who by the way could have put in a better shift than young Davidson yesterday.

Gibby is 26 and Mortimer is 23, so I'm not seeing how that links in with giving youngsters an early chance. They also both made over 200 appearances between them at first team level. I don't think either can complain about not having a fair crack at Queen's Park. 

37 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

That's very true. But at all of the meetings held by the club over the ground sale, the vote to amend the Articles and everything that surrounded both those events the question of supporting youth development was repeatedly highlighted as being very important to the members and fans. There was then an implied threat from the club that if we stayed amateur, and the inevitable drop to the Lowland occurred, the youth set-up couldn't possibly be maintained. A fait accompli. Professionalism woul be a key driver in retaining the highly acclaimed youth development structure. It's not hard to see how some might be questioning that commitment already.

Aye Brilliant, let’s just play players cause they come from our system and give 110% even if they’re playing rubbish. Mortimer and Gibson are not of the required standard even before McKinnon joined us. Gibson’s injuries have clearly affected his game and wasn’t the same and Mortimer is never gonna lead you to a promotion push. For what it’s worth, Davidson has been smashing in midfield since he’s joined. Can’t comment on his performance yesterday since I wasn’t there but feel like your picking at straws with that kinda statement 

Edited by qpfc

26 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Top priority for this season was getting away from the drop zone as quickly as possible. Accomplished. Second priority, get as close to the play-offs as we can, on target. Long-term strategic planning involving improving our youth set-up so it delivers players of the required quality for our first team, will follow. I think we will have a smaller squad next season but with more quality. That will give the opportunity for the likes of Reece McGuire etc to get more chance of making the bench. Cove are being seen as a benchmark for us. That's the last 2 games we've played them that they have not had a full bench. If we follow their lead then we will at least have youngsters to fill the gaps. If they are good enough they will get opportunities, if not they will stay benched.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Gibby is 26 and Mortimer is 23, so I'm not seeing how that links in with giving youngsters an early chance. They also both made over 200 appearances between them at first team level. I don't think either can complain about not having a fair crack at Queen's Park. 

Exactly, it’s been several years since either one of these guys was a “youth player” so don’t see why we would still apply that label to them. I think there is also a harsh truth here that its quite possible this would have been the last season at QP for one or both of them regardless of how the vote etc had gone.

Surely a better indication would be how many of the latest group of youngsters progress to first team level over the next few years. As has been said, if they are good enough, they will feature.

Top priority for this season was getting away from the drop zone as quickly as possible. Accomplished. Second priority, get as close to the play-offs as we can, on target. Long-term strategic planning involving improving our youth set-up so it delivers players of the required quality for our first team, will follow. I think we will have a smaller squad next season but with more quality. That will give the opportunity for the likes of Reece McGuire etc to get more chance of making the bench. Cove are being seen as a benchmark for us. That's the last 2 games we've played them that they have not had a full bench. If we follow their lead then we will at least have youngsters to fill the gaps. If they are good enough they will get opportunities, if not they will stay benched.

Thanks for the constructive response. Sounds like a plan.

No, but even if it was a horrendous performance, my point would still stand that we are going in the right direction.

Loving how all the Rayvers couldn’t actually make it up to Aberdeen.

We are going in the right direction but when you’re starting point is position 39 and we employ six pros in the January window it would be hard to go in the wrong direction. Once we make the play offs and beat teams above us over two legs in a knockout tie I’ll get hysterical. In this league, with the squad we have, play-offs has to be the minimum. The next four games are the bottom four teams. 12 out of 12 would be impressive.

Agree with that, there is an element of running before we can walk at the moment.

Understandably the focus is on the pitch just now, but I would like to see off the field efforts stepped up as well. 

Commercial as well. When was the last time we had adverts other than Barr's at a home game? At Lesser as well, half the boards on the far side have fallen apart and have been like that for a year or longer, hardly an incentive to potential advertisers to get involved. Let's get them fixed and sell the rest of the spaces.

Couldnt agree more. Of course all of the above is made easier if the team on the pitch is performing well. That part seems to be moving in the right direction, so let's let people know about it, sell them on the ambition and encourage them to be part of the journey. Get people invested at this stage and take them with us to Lesser.

And as you say use all this to get more sponsors on board.

Hopefully it can all snowball from there.

There must be a massive promo before the first few games at Lesser. Free under 16s or fiver football for the first 3 games I would recommend. Get flyers through the housing schemes surrounding Hampden or on the many pubs scattered around. Not everyone is on social media or follows Queens Park!!!

It’s hard to attract people to Hampden or make them want to come back. We’re far from the action with no signing, shouting or passion. I genuinely believe moving to Lesser will attract more. The first few games should be an opportunity to have larger crowds and welcome them with the Social and a lively signing atmosphere.

29 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Loving how all the Rayvers couldn’t actually make it up to Aberdeen.

There's any number of reasons why folk couldn't spend a full day away or the expense of a long trip to Aberdeen. In fact, the same actually applies to any home or away game. Fair enough if you're in the position to do so, but it's really needlessly snide to have a dig at folk in that way. 

5 hours ago, an86 said:

Everyone knows we're ambitious, but having players coming out and mentioning the Premiership when we're still in League Two just looks a bit silly.

I understand that the ambition of the club is an attraction to the players, but their one and only focus when they're in the door should be the here and now. We can't achieve playoffs without finishing 4th. That's now the aim given our league position. Talk of anything else just sounds presumptuous. 

This exactly. Obviously the teams hoping to get third and fourth spot will be the ones who have less slip ups between now and the end of the season. I'm optimistic that we'll be one of them. We've hauled ourselves up the league and that's great. If we are in league two next season then I'm sure we'll be well organised and in a strong position. 

Edited by Lesser Is More
Spelling