Queen's Park 2019/20

53 minutes ago, an86 said:

We're in a position that very few clubs have ever been in or are likely to be in. Everything about the club has changed half way through a season. It was never going to be without challenges and anomalies over this transition period. Everything will be ironed out by the start of next season. 

The alternative to having a big squad was releasing players. Morally, that wouldn't have been right. The other option was for the manager to pass up the opportunity of players he thought could improve the squad in order to keep the squad trim. I think we've dealt with it as well as we could in the circumstances. 

Ray McKinnon and morals spoken about in the same post. Never thought I would see the day !

We're in a position that very few clubs have ever been in or are likely to be in. Everything about the club has changed half way through a season. It was never going to be without challenges and anomalies over this transition period. Everything will be ironed out by the start of next season. 
The alternative to having a big squad was releasing players. Morally, that wouldn't have been right. The other option was for the manager to pass up the opportunity of players he thought could improve the squad in order to keep the squad trim. I think we've dealt with it as well as we could in the circumstances. 

From the start of next season any player signing with QP will know what he’s getting involved in. For the guys who have given their best this year, and previous maybe, to suddenly be tied to a contract until the summer but have little or no chance of playing in the first team this season, would it not be morally right to release any who want to try their luck elsewhere?

I wonder when that picture of all the existing squad was taken, signing their new pro forms, how many of them were aware of the number of new players coming in and the consequence it would be for them. McKinnon is entitled to bring in who he wants to and decide who to play. It’s the club who should have the integrity to release those who aren’t needed and want to play elsewhere. Judging by the demeanour of the non-playing group today there’s likely to be a few wanting away. We’ll see how the moral compass is set soon enough.

14 hours ago, ItsUnited said:

Future is looking bright for Queens, I watched the u18s win 6-0 at Hamilton last night. They have also beaten Celtic Hearts and Motherwell recently. Good chance they will keep some of their best players now that they are professional. 

Brilliant, seen them play recently vs Motherwell and they played some excellent football. Punching well above our weight. Well done to the coaches too. I think there league is a Friday evening for anyone looking to watch 

10 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

From the start of next season any player signing with QP will know what he’s getting involved in. For the guys who have given their best this year, and previous maybe, to suddenly be tied to a contract until the summer but have little or no chance of playing in the first team this season, would it not be morally right to release any who want to try their luck elsewhere?

I wonder when that picture of all the existing squad was taken, signing their new pro forms, how many of them were aware of the number of new players coming in and the consequence it would be for them. McKinnon is entitled to bring in who he wants to and decide who to play. It’s the club who should have the integrity to release those who aren’t needed and want to play elsewhere. Judging by the demeanour of the non-playing group today there’s likely to be a few wanting away. We’ll see how the moral compass is set soon enough.

It's a tough one. We're going to have to be ruthless going forward, but I think we're right to deal with things a bit more delicately during these months of transition.

I'd say we have two guys who have been playing for us, for over five years, who are likely surplus to requirements. They've come in at the start of the season, in good faith, thinking it'd be business as usual. I don't think anyone envisaged mid-season change. It wouldn't have sat comfortably with me to dispatch these guys after years of service.

I've no doubt that a few will move on, but I honestly don't think we could have dealt with this any other way. 

21 hours ago, spider1867 said:

McKinnon is signing all these young players for league 2. Are they better than what is there already. Grant, Slater and Maclean are good signings but the rest leave me uninspired. Young boys with no experience especially of L2 football. I was excited about going pro but 30 of a squad for a L2 club is embarrassing.  The players that are being left out are basically been told they have no chance of playing. 

Ray and Laurie have been brought in and I assume given targets. I doubt the target is to finish 9th! The initial job will be to get us as high up the league as possible. The next will be to get us up a division. He's had time to assess the squad and has obviously decided it wasn't good enough to make the targets set. That's football (professional football). 

All 6 signings are either full time professionals or have come from full time football with no other job. They can concentrate fully on playing for Queen's Park. Ray and Laurie have a challenging task ahead but it's been a positive start. They have worked in this environment all their working lives. We, at Queen's Park, are still coming to terms with this new world.

Ray and Laurie have been brought in and I assume given targets. I doubt the target is to finish 9th! The initial job will be to get us as high up the league as possible. The next will be to get us up a division. He's had time to assess the squad and has obviously decided it wasn't good enough to make the targets set. That's football (professional football). 
All 6 signings are either full time professionals or have come from full time football with no other job. They can concentrate fully on playing for Queen's Park. Ray and Laurie have a challenging task ahead but it's been a positive start. They have worked in this environment all their working lives. We, at Queen's Park, are still coming to terms with this new world.

Not sure they'll be able to get by purely on their QP wages mate. I suspect they'll have to find 'real life' jobs too.

I doubt anyone is going to drop down two leagues from full-time football so they go and get a day job!

Full time football is hardly lucrative especially when you're not getting a game at Championship club.

Part time football and a real job would pay more.

1 hour ago, spider1867 said:

How long have the new permanent signings signed on for.  It benefits us that we getter players that have played at a higher level. Have they just signed till end of season? Putting themselves in the shop window or have they signed on longer term. 

I have no idea but would like to think they are on 18 month contracts.

5 hours ago, spider1867 said:

How long have the new permanent signings signed on for.  It benefits us that we getter players that have played at a higher level. Have they just signed till end of season? Putting themselves in the shop window or have they signed on longer term. 

No one on here has answers to these questions at present, As the weeks go by we might get a bit more info regarding the new permanent signings. 

22 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Do not know, but I would think that it would have to be until the end of next season, to entice them to sign for us.I would also think that any of our original  players who have signed until the end of this season, will have until then to impress, so that they can be offered a new contract that will take them to the end of next season. Mind you I can only think of about half a dozen who will be in that group.

No matter what happens, people like a good whinge so I may as well join in....

Just been catching up with the report on the official site for the Kilmarnock match.  Can we bin Gulliver from doing the away match reports? Maybe give the job to someone who wants to embrace our new professional future? ( even his pal Homer seems to have bought into it)  His opening ramble gives the impression that supporters and members are polarised on the issue - the 91% landslide would suggest otherwise. We all know he was against it, that's fine, but his veiled comments are tedious.

The lad Craig who filled in before for a few games would be a good choice as replacement ( I see he also did the interviews this week for QPTV) He tended just to report on the match with the added bonus that we didn't have to read about a skiing holiday, a second cousin's wedding, or what he had for lunch on the way to Elgin.