Queen's Park 2019/20

37 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Well if we’re gonna be bringing potentially another 2 players in, I’d like to think a right back or a left back would be one of them. Definitely our weakest areas currently 

I think Finnie will be our right back when everything settles down. Would agree with left back.

16 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

If you lot don't get promoted this season given the money that's clearly being spent to bring these guys in, serious questions need asked.

Yes, I'll be absolutely fuming. Championship in 3 years or I want McKinnon sacked.

3 hours ago, NathanQP said:

Every club in the world pays different wages to different players. I’d argue it’d be more disrespectful to keep the current players on amateur contracts and then bring in pro players. The way the club has gone about it so far can only be praised.

Aye, spot on. Not sure why people see an issue with this or are struggling to get their head around it.  This is the professional football world we live in now where local business people put money into their local club. Every player has 'til the end  of the season to prove themselves worthy of getting signed up for next season ( if they want to ) and I imagine some others might end up getting loaned out as well. Both of these things also happened when we were amateur tbf

Edited by Mick1867

My take on the squad numbers- when the original squad were signed up it was seen as doing the right thing for the boys. Nobody deserved to be shown the door at that point. Those charged with the responsibility at the time knew full well that squad numbers would be top heavy at some point. They'll have factored in the extra expense I'm sure. 

Aye, spot on. Not sure why people see an issue with this or are struggling to get their head around it.  This is the professional football world we live in now where local business people put money into their local club. Every player has 'til the end  of the season to prove themselves worthy of getting signed up for next season ( if they want to ) and I imagine some others might end up getting loaned out as well. Both of these things also happened when we were amateur tbf

It also means we’re not providing our competitors with freebies. Albion Rovers are a good example, they’ve had 4 in the past year for nothing. It’s ludicrous that any business would give its competitors an asset for no return. That stops by putting them on pro contracts.

I’m a bit more cynical about the “looking after the lads” angle. This is just good business.

All the guys who have just signed pro are now tied to the summer so no more 30 day notices to walk away. Especially good as was mentioned about free gifts to our competitors.

It also means if anyone now leaves it would be by transfer. Even to a junior club, also semi-pro, the club would be entitled to ask for a fee. Large or small it’ll be more than a few months ago.

For the less experienced players, some of whom may genuinely have found the challenges of first team football a bit overwhelming, they now have an opportunity to learn from experienced players and appearing for a strong Strollers team. Everyone learns at a different pace.

And of course support for each position may still be required for each position in the first team. So all is not lost for the youngsters.

I think now the plan is unfolding and tangible signs are being shown it’s time to applaud all members and fans who took the leap, ask the doubters now to get on board and for all of us to recognise the committee leadership for driving through change and, quickly, implementing their plan.

When’s kick-off?

I mean not that you have to be a world beater to look good against us but Slater was a class apart when Partick bodied us 4-1 in the quarter finals of the Diddy Cup.

With the signings of this ilk coming in you have to fancy eh Spiders for a play off sport, even with Sir Ray in charge.

I mean not that you have to be a world beater to look good against us but Slater was a class apart when Partick bodied us 4-1 in the quarter finals of the Diddy Cup.
With the signings of this ilk coming in you have to fancy eh Spiders for a play off sport, even with Sir Ray in charge.

Especially with Sir Ray in charge.*

Sadly I think Craig Slater will walk it in this league too, surely the Queens Park fans will be expecting the 4th spot with they signings, I just hope cowden keep up the form in 3rd, Elgin did some good business too, Stirling & Annan consistency seems to be issue for them but it will be tight in end I think

1 hour ago, SuperCowden said:

Sadly I think Craig Slater will walk it in this league too, surely the Queens Park fans will be expecting the 4th spot with they signings, I just hope cowden keep up the form in 3rd, Elgin did some good business too, Stirling & Annan consistency seems to be issue for them but it will be tight in end I think

Why stop at fourth?

1 hour ago, SuperCowden said:

Flinging a few quid around doesn't guarantee success. Edinburgh City have guys on good money with good pedigree and didn't get it done last season and, in my opinion, probably won't win the league this season. Guys like Thomson, Balatoni, Handling and Laird aren't of a dissimilar pedigree to the guys we've brought in.

Anyone expecting us to transform overnight or be automatically guaranteed success might be in for a shock. We're in a privileged position, but it's not going to happen by magic. Hard work and organisation is as important as talent at this level.

I see this season as a free hit. I had no expectation of getting to the playoffs, so it would be an enormous bonus if it happened. I envisaged us really beginning the new era next season. Of course, the level of spending will ultimately increase expectation from both inside and outside of the club. However, the last thing we want is kneejerk reactions if we don't make the top four. Whatever happens, it's going to be an extremely interesting time. 

11 hours ago, SuperCowden said:

To be honest I’ll still be looking for the Brechin results for a while I think!