Queen's Park 2019/20

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

That's my acceptance of where we are. We have in fact being employing professionals for some time in various guises and of course coaches and other support staff have been salaried for many years. There's nothing amateur about our set-up at all. We have a doctor and a physio at every game. Gym and medical suite for the players. Those on long-term injury are wll looked after. Excellent media team for the position we have. Visiting clubs and boards are well catered for. It's all been like that for a while.

But as you say, our official status has changed. We're paying to win now. And to get financial recovery on our player investments. If some want to hold onto the motto that's their choice but we're a business now, not a sports fraternity. What would be more important to me is hanging onto "Hampden Park". It's got an obvious emotional attachment but also is a name known worldwide in football. I'd trade the motto for that any day.

It's been long overdue. Queens Park sacrificed their status as one of Scotland's leading clubs by not tuning professional and, however laudable the intentions were, the club's survival has only been assured by virtue of the fact it owned Hampden Park and was effectively subsidised by the SFA. 

If I was a Queens Park supporter I'd want to believe the club could win successive promotions and compete at a higher level, perhaps one day even make it to the Premiership. Surely that hope is what inspires all football fans - the possibility of better days, and league and cup glory? How about getting promoted to the Championship, attracting four figire crowds and establishing a meaningful rivalry with Partick Thistle. The club has been uninspiring for years. 

35 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

The club has been uninspiring for years. 

Patronising guff. Since the turn of the century, I've quite enjoyed the league title, two playoff promotions and highest league finish in a generation tbh. 

5 minutes ago, an86 said:

Patronising guff. Since the turn of the century, I've quite enjoyed the league title, two playoff promotions and highest league finish in a generation tbh. 

Great! But did you ever seriously expect to get beyond the third tier? Would an amateur side compete with full-time professionals in the Championship?

2 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Great! But did you ever seriously expect to get beyond the third tier? Would an amateur side compete with full-time professionals in the Championship?

No, but everyone has their natural ceiling. A good number of semi-pro sides won't realistically get to the Championship either. Our circumstances have changed and even if we are successful, which isn't a given, I certainly wouldn't be calling other clubs "uninspiring."

Watching some fans of teams from higher leagues offering opinions on QP is a bit like watching Labour leadership hopefuls talking about Scotland. They only vaguely know where and what it is, but still find the need to confidently offer absolutely awful and baseless opinions on it. 

3 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Truth is we've not maintained ourselves in tier 3 for more than two seasons so an extended and consolidated position there would be a good step over the next few years. We're not alone in that; Stranraer and possibly Peterhead are heading south agaain already. What we don't want is a mad rush to tier 2 only to come tumbling down faster to position 42, like Brechin currently are and Cowdenbeath recently were. L2 play-offs has changed the whole dynamic. 

Some are still focussed on survival but I've always believed this is our time for thriving. We might not have to get to the Championship to have a derby against the Jags 😉

3 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

It's been long overdue. Queens Park sacrificed their status as one of Scotland's leading clubs by not tuning professional and, however laudable the intentions were, the club's survival has only been assured by virtue of the fact it owned Hampden Park and was effectively subsidised by the SFA. 

If I was a Queens Park supporter I'd want to believe the club could win successive promotions and compete at a higher level, perhaps one day even make it to the Premiership. Surely that hope is what inspires all football fans - the possibility of better days, and league and cup glory? How about getting promoted to the Championship, attracting four figire crowds and establishing a meaningful rivalry with Partick Thistle. The club has been uninspiring for years. 

I think subsidised by the SFA is a bit strong. QP built the biggest football stadium in the world , for £30,000 , so that they would get an income from all the big games in Scotland. This was indeed a farsighted policy as the SFA were more than happy to take all the games to Hampden, as they would earn more money, with twice the capacity that Ibrox and Celtic Park could hold and it also stopped the owners of these two stadiums from getting together and holding the SFA to ransom. This was a good business deal for both the QP and the SFA.

We haven't been subsidised by anyone. If you own a house and rent it out, your tenant isn',t subsidising you. The SFA have probably been subsidised by us; that's certainly the case with the sale / theft of the ground.

It's all moot anyway. The world moves on and we do have a great opportunity to move on too, to something better.

On 15/01/2020 at 18:06, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Well, we're not quite just playing for the sake of playing anymore. Perhaps a modest change. Ludens ad partem pecuniae?

There is a Spanish guy who posts on the QP Facebook who is seething that we have turned pro. He is obsessed with getting our motto changed ( even though he claims he will never be back to watch us) 

4 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

By the way, did you know that during WW2 Waddingtons were commissioned by MI9 (yes, there once was a full set) to make a special edition set of Monopoly for POWs in Germany. Craftily concealing maps and other sneaky stuff etc that could be used for escapes. Red Cross and other charities were unwittingly used as mules for this cunning ruse. Tally ho!

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks