Queen's Park 2019/20

19 hours ago, an86 said:

Ach, ye knew what he meant. I was sitting on the bus havering about Broxburn taking 1500 to Love Street on Saturday. Once the original ground is in your head, it never leaves. 

Either way, still wrong. I'm a strict quizmaster 

18 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

I take it the players won't be wearing the jerseys outside the shorts any more!

I don't see any reason why we have to ditch ALL our traditions, although it will be interesting to see if we remove the motto from the club crest 

I don't see any reason why we have to ditch ALL our traditions, although it will be interesting to see if we remove the motto from the club crest 

Or we could just leave it on the crest. I don’t see the need to remove it.

Scottish Football Hall Of Fame goalkeeper Bobby Brown who played for Queen's Park 1939-1946 before moving to Rangers has died aged 96. Brown was the last amateur and last Queen's Park player to earn a Scotland cap being called up for a friendly against Belgium in January 1946.

Scottish Football Hall Of Fame goalkeeper Bobby Brown who played for Queen's Park 1939-1946 before moving to Rangers has died aged 96. Brown was the last amateur and last Queen's Park player to earn a Scotland cap being called up for a friendly against Belgium in January 1946.

More famously known as the Scotland manager when we thrashed World Cup winners Engerlund in ‘67. RIP Bobby Brown.

18 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Very sad to hear that Mick Monaghan died today of a heart attack; still in his early 50s.

So sad. One of the best keepers I've ever seen for QP.

Had to wait for his opportunity to take over from Stevie Ross but once he got his chance he owned the jersey. He was fantastic in his first spell for us, especially season 1987/88 when we finished 3rd behind Ayr Utd and St Johnstone.  He came close a couple of times after that to playing in a promotion winning side but we always just fell short in the run-in. With him in goals and Mick Hendry up front, we always had a chance

RIP big man

Anyone know how many more tickets we took from Killie? The initial 150 was absurdly low given that we took 180 down to a dead rubber League Cup group sectional. A lot of the usual suspects missing that day as well. I can't imagine we asked for many more given that they sold out as well. 

We generally take a few hundred to these games. Stumped as to what the thinking was, particularly as we didn't have confirmation until yesterday about kiosks being open down there. 

Well, we're not quite just playing for the sake of playing anymore. Perhaps a modest change. Ludens ad partem pecuniae?

How? If Queens Park were just playing for the sake of playing before this then did they not take any prize money for their league finishes or cup runs?

How's the players getting paid a fair wage change anything other than your official status?

9 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How? If Queens Park were just playing for the sake of playing before this then did they not take any prize money for their league finishes or cup runs?

How's the players getting paid a fair wage change anything other than your official status?

That's my acceptance of where we are. We have in fact being employing professionals for some time in various guises and of course coaches and other support staff have been salaried for many years. There's nothing amateur about our set-up at all. We have a doctor and a physio at every game. Gym and medical suite for the players. Those on long-term injury are wll looked after. Excellent media team for the position we have. Visiting clubs and boards are well catered for. It's all been like that for a while.

But as you say, our official status has changed. We're paying to win now. And to get financial recovery on our player investments. If some want to hold onto the motto that's their choice but we're a business now, not a sports fraternity. What would be more important to me is hanging onto "Hampden Park". It's got an obvious emotional attachment but also is a name known worldwide in football. I'd trade the motto for that any day.