Queen's Park 2019/20

16 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Knows nothing about the Second Division; how would he be on a winter Tuesday at Cowden? It's a no from me.

Although the "by mutual consent" could mean either side making the first move, I'd like to think that if it was the Club who initiated it, they have someone in the sights. Or, more correctly, more than that.

I'd be very surprised if the new manager wasn't taking training next week. Tight turnaround for an appointment and taking training this week/the game on Saturday, but I'm convinced there will be someone lined up with the promise of scope to strengthen. 

6 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Knows nothing about the Second Division; how would he be on a winter Tuesday at Cowden? It's a no from me.

Although the "by mutual consent" could mean either side making the first move, I'd like to think that if it was the Club who initiated it, they have someone in the sights. Or, more correctly, more than that.

I think his poor command of the English language would work well in Cowdenbeath.

The BBC report leaned more toward Roberts leaving than being shown the door. The timing of this is significant for me. It's the first time ever we have some cash to invest in players and on the eve of the transfer window opening the head coach leaves. If there's a replacement announced before the Stenny game I'd accept the club had this planned. The fact that Quinno has been announced as caretaker doesn't necessarily mean an announcement on a new permannent coach can't be made this week. If it runs on through January it's more likely a difference of opinion, or aspirations, between Roberts and the club led to an uncontrolled event. Or if Roberts name pops up with a new job, say an assistant at a bigger club somewhere we'll know it's out of control. I sincerely hope it's not the last two options.

5 minutes ago, an86 said:

I'd be very surprised if the new manager wasn't taking training next week. Tight turnaround for an appointment and taking training this week/the game on Saturday, but I'm convinced there will be someone lined up with the promise of scope to strengthen. 

Does that conviction come from knowledge or hope?

6 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Does that conviction come from knowledge or hope?

Just reading between the lines. January is an important month and we won't be wanting to take much time when the transfer window is so short. The fact that it's not a decision that would be ideal to rush would lead me to believe something is in the pipeline. 

Who is available, gettable or realistic? 

Stark is the obvious and, in my opinion, outstanding candidate. Beyond that, you're looking at someone from a full-time club who has taken a hit and looking to rebuild their reputation. Possible left fielders looking to get onto the managerial ladder as well. 

Martin Canning, John Hughes and Ray McKinnon would be guys who would probably be struggling for a full-time gig for various reasons. We've seen the likes of Hartley, MacPherson and Lennon come down the leagues in recent years. 

David McCallum has done well at youth level with Rangers. Would he want to get his foot on the managerial ladder? Maybe with Stark working in the background? 

Edited by an86

My reading of the announcement is that something has been brewing. The fact that Robert Walker has also gone points towards pre determined sacking. The "mutual consent" is the mellowing of the word sacking. It allows someone to leave without a blot on CV. There is no mention of seeking applications just a statement that an announcement will be made in due course. If it had come out of the blue I would have thought that the website would also have had a job application headline as the timing is critical and urgency would surely be of the essence.

Conversely if Roberts did instigate this then there must have been a breakdown in aspirations between club and coach. I am dubious of this as Roberts has never had the opportunities available to him at this time before and he could not have been depending on this for his future. Whatever cash is being made available it provided fabulous opportunity for him to make a name for himself. I just cannot see this decision as his.

Hopefully "in due course" just means the final i's and t's have to be put in place when everybody is back at work.

If I am wrong (it has been known, I think) then we are in a mess of enormous proportions. Professional contracts have to be drawn up and players for the future have to be sought out and signed up. Without a man on the ground in place this is impossible. Job applications and interviews would take up most of the transfer window. Christmas would have come, albeit late and unexpected, for Brechin, Albion, and Stenny. If we did initiate this without a successor lined up then some serious questions would need to be asked of our committee.  Surely this cannot be the case?

Anyone who was at the meetings will have heard being able strengthen in January, if we were in trouble, as one of the reasons for turning pro. We're not yet deep in the brown stuff, but we're certainly not out of trouble. 

There's football people and shrewd operators at Queen's Park and I'd be surprised if there's not been a contingency plan in place for a wee while involving a list of scenarios and names. Even more surprising if one or more of said names hasn't been sounded out before action was taken. 

On 01/01/2020 at 19:06, an86 said:

Who is available, gettable or realistic? 

Stark is the obvious and, in my opinion, outstanding candidate. Beyond that, you're looking at someone from a full-time club who has taken a hit and looking to rebuild their reputation. Possible left fielders looking to get onto the managerial ladder as well. 

Martin Canning, John Hughes and Ray McKinnon would be guys who would probably be struggling for a full-time gig for various reasons. We've seen the likes of Hartley, MacPherson and Lennon come down the leagues in recent years. 

David McCallum has done well at youth level with Rangers. Would he want to get his foot on the managerial ladder? Maybe with Stark working in the background? 

Flung enough darts at the board to hit it.