Queen's Park 2019/20

Soulless exactly, I wrote the President  asking if during the planning stages they would consider building something artichitectnically imaginative and not two bland industrial type units,(finances allowing). I could be wrong but it looks as if design wise things may have been a bit rushed.

Aye, we’ve only had 19 years to think about it[emoji57]

On 15/12/2019 at 14:28, PASSANDMOVE said:

Apparently Man Utd claiming they've had a home grown player in their team for the last 4000 games. Were very proud of our youth system, can our resident stato shine any light on our record over the years?

4000 games would take us back almost a hundred years!

It's also difficult to establish exactly when our youth set up began, as early last century we had affiliated youth teams from other clubs rather than QP youth teams.

However, we only have to go back to Angus MacPherson's first full season charge in 2014/15 to find at least one example with no home grown players, with a host of signings from the juniors only Gibson, Mitchell, McVey and Lochhead  could be considered home grown from that squad. 

A quick glance shows that none of those four played against Albion Rovers on 31st January 2015 (although three were unused subs) and I would think there would be other examples that season.

The following season we had McGeever and Duggan (on loan) who had been part of the youth set up but left for full time football before returning, as well as Liam Brown starting to make appearances although I suspect there may have been the odd game that season which had no home grown players as well.

1 hour ago, PASSANDMOVE said:

No plans to go tonight. Wouldn't have thought many will be interested in this new format.  Will be interesting to see our line up though, the 20's having played last night would indicate they'll be a fair few first team squad players playing.

At least 3,000 Clyde fans will turn up with that amazing calculator they use. 😉

21 hours ago, PASSANDMOVE said:

Thanks for taking the time to do a bit of research. Would I be right in thinking Billy stark's time in charge, would be a time we used most of our own youths at any one time.?

I would say not. Billy Stark had Mick Dunlop, Damiano Agostini, Paul Ronald, Tony Quinn and Mark Ferry playing most weeks, with Mark Cairns, Robert Dunn and Richard Bowers playing fairly regularly. I also wouldn't count Alan Trouten as one of ours as he was 18 when signed from Morton , so half the squad wasn't home grown.

After the second world war, most players signed from school and went through the 18's (Victoria XI) and then the Strollers before playing for the first team. A few players came from Church and Amateur leagues but I would think the majority from then, through to the sixties, could be considered home grown.

1 hour ago, qpsnapper said:

I would say not. Billy Stark had Mick Dunlop, Damiano Agostini, Paul Ronald, Tony Quinn and Mark Ferry playing most weeks, with Mark Cairns, Robert Dunn and Richard Bowers playing fairly regularly. I also wouldn't count Alan Trouten as one of ours as he was 18 when signed from Morton , so half the squad wasn't home grown.

After the second world war, most players signed from school and went through the 18's (Victoria XI) and then the Strollers before playing for the first team. A few players came from Church and Amateur leagues but I would think the majority from then, through to the sixties, could be considered home grown.

What about David Crawford, David Weatherson, Paul Paton, Paul Carney,Lawrence Shankland and of course the Scotland captain? You are right about Trouten except his age, as he was 17 when he came to us because he played in our U/18 team that won the U/18 cup beating St.Mirren in the final.

6 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

What about David Crawford, David Weatherson, Paul Paton, Paul Carney,Lawrence Shankland and of course the Scotland captain? You are right about Trouten except his age, as he was 17 when he came to us because he played in our U/18 team that won the U/18 cup beating St.Mirren in the final.

Lawrence Shankland and Andy Robertson didn't play under Billy Stark?

I was making the point that about half the 06/07 squad weren't products of our youth system whereas in the 50's and 60's the majority were.

15 hours ago, qpsnapper said:

Lawrence Shankland and Andy Robertson didn't play under Billy Stark?

I was making the point that about half the 06/07 squad weren't products of our youth system whereas in the 50's and 60's the majority were.

OK, so you are right regards those two but wrong re Trouten.

Good to hear Reagan is still our player,but then TMWNN is always the man in the know.

Regarding the plans for the Lesser Hampden upgrade; I cant see how there would be a problem with making the east side of the ground standing only housing both home and away fans in different sections. There would be adequate seating on the west side for season ticket holders other QP fans, leaving a section or two for away fans who prefer seating. A review could then be made after a season or two whether we need additions to that to accommodate clubs with larger supports. 

Does anyone have ideas or opinions on this topic?

30 minutes ago, Lesser Is More said:

Regarding the plans for the Lesser Hampden upgrade; I cant see how there would be a problem with making the east side of the ground standing only housing both home and away fans in different sections. There would be adequate seating on the west side for season ticket holders other QP fans, leaving a section or two for away fans who prefer seating. A review could then be made after a season or two whether we need additions to that to accommodate clubs with larger supports. 

Does anyone have ideas or opinions on this topic?

Well we were pioneers of the beautiful game, so why not try something out of box with our new home!

8 hours ago, Dooflick said:

OK, so you are right regards those two but wrong re Trouten

Alan Trouten was born on 08/11/85 and played, as you said, against St Mirren on 17/05/04. He was 18 years and 191 days old in the Under 19 League Cup Final, having signed for us a couple of months earlier. He was over 18 years old when he signed for us.

On 18/12/2019 at 20:24, qpsnapper said:

Alan Trouten was born on 08/11/85 and played, as you said, against St Mirren on 17/05/04. He was 18 years and 191 days old in the Under 19 League Cup Final, having signed for us a couple of months earlier. He was over 18 years old when he signed for us.

OK so it was the U/19s and not the U/18s and he is now 34 and still a great player at our level. Trust he will be our first transfer signing when he is out of contract.