Queen's Park 2019/20

16 hours ago, Moodster said:

.....and while I'm on well done to our reserves last night beating league leaders Livingston, quite a few first squad players playing, going by the pics. Good idea from Mark to give these guys a run out.

Good to see DC back between the sticks, after his injury in the Glasgow Cup tie.

Healthy competition for places now all over the park

14 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

To modernise the club, move to a more appropriately sized stadium and build towards a new more prosperous future? Engage with the local community and try and build upon the existing fan base, market themselves as a club for the south side of Glasgow, a real alternative to Celtic and Rangers and all the crap that comes with them.
Rather than a club who from my perspective as a local who goes along occasionally, hides away in Hampden and people mere streets away aren’t even aware they’re playing.

Great post. 

I get that people would be wary of breaking with tradition and what that means to them and the club, however wouldn’t the move away from Hampden be exactly the time to do this?
To modernise the club, move to a more appropriately sized stadium and build towards a new more prosperous future? Engage with the local community and try and build upon the existing fan base, market themselves as a club for the south side of Glasgow, a real alternative to Celtic and Rangers and all the crap that comes with them.
Rather than a club who from my perspective as a local who goes along occasionally, hides away in Hampden and people mere streets away aren’t even aware they’re playing.

That middle paragraph should pretty much form part of our mission statement/statement of aims for the next decade.

Talk of the sixth tier of Scottish football and someone earlier used the term managed decline! Wouldn’t that make most of those reluctant to embrace change at least rethink their position?

What’s the end game for those holding out? To be sat in Lesser Hampden in say 5 seasons time watching Queens Park v some random south of Scotland side thinking “we’ll at least we stuck to our principles!”?

4 minutes ago, Northsea80 said:

What’s the end game for those holding out? To be sat in Lesser Hampden in say 5 seasons time watching Queens Park v some random south of Scotland side thinking “we’ll at least we stuck to our principles!”?

Seems that way.  

It comes across as quite a selfish stance to me.  They get what they want, even if it means the slow death of the club.  But each to their own, right?

Queens Park could draw a decent sized support if they focused on being a community club representing Southside. Pollock and Giffnock SC do a better job currently.

Agreed surely also an opportunity to look at gate prices? Never mind Twenty’s plenty we’re competing with Pollok so why not charge a tenner max for adults and either £3 or £5 concessions in order to build up our community support?
btw visited Dens a couple of weekends ago £24 adult £16 student for a game live on Frid night TV [emoji849]

33 minutes ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

Agreed surely also an opportunity to look at gate prices? Never mind Twenty’s plenty we’re competing with Pollok so why not charge a tenner max for adults and either £3 or £5 concessions in order to build up our community support?
btw visited Dens a couple of weekends ago £24 adult £16 student for a game live on Frid night TV emoji849.png

I've lived on in Mount Florida right on Cathcart Road beside Hampden and now stay in Shawlands. Genuinely think most people in Southside have never even thought about Queens Park let alone attending a game. There are loads of families that could be attracted to the club with proper community engagement.

Dundee are a big club so can get away with stupid prices. 

I haven't contributed a great deal to the debate about the club's future as, although I have supported the club for over 40 years , I only go to about 3 or 4 games a year these days. I think the views of those who go week in week out should carry more weight.

However, I was a regular attendee in the early 80's watching a great team with Alan Irvine, John McGregor, Gerry Crawley Derek Atkins and many more competing for a couple of seasons in the second tier of Scottish football against the likes of Motherwell, Hearts, St Johnstone & Partick Thistle. How great would it be to be to be competing a that level again?

There is no guarantee that we will achieve that if we go professional but I think we can safely say we will never achieve that if we remain amateur.

I hope those of you who have a vote will take the plunge and vote to go professional. 

If you do, I will be relived but also a little sad, as I have always taken pride in our unique status as an amateur club in a big bad professional world, and I woudl love us to be able to carry on ... but sadly I think that is not a practical option.

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

Stellar journalism from the Evening Times...

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/18034540.queens-park-set-historic-vote-future-amateur-status/

"But in July, owner Gerry Crawley spoke of the harsh realities facing the squad as a number of players were allowed to leave for no fee."

Jeezo the Club's been sold overnight!

Dawning of a great day. Behind us is a wonderful and proud history. Ahead an exciting and challenging future. Being a Queen's Park member has and never will be dull. Today we have the option to give thousands of members yet to be born the opportunity to experience the thrill of being a member of this great Club. Let's do this for them!

Queens Park could draw a decent sized support if they focused on being a community club representing Southside. Pollock and Giffnock SC do a better job currently.
I'm not sure that you would define Pollok as a community club. They have a team playing in the Juniors and that's about it. Are the youth teams with their name anything to do with the club? Do they finance them?

Anyway, they attract decent crowds so we have to look at what they do. £6 to get in helps.

28 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Anyway, they attract decent crowds so we have to look at what they do. £6 to get in helps.

Plenty of info in this piece a couple of years back. Interesting comment about the number of young people attending...as you say HD, if they pump all their money into one team that's a very different model to ours. One brick at a time though. Need to get the right call tonight.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/loony-joons-bumper-crowds-put-10134871

2 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/18034540.queens-park-set-historic-vote-future-amateur-status/

"But in July, owner Gerry Crawley spoke of the harsh realities facing the squad as a number of players were allowed to leave for no fee."

Another stellar reporter thinking we're going to hand out full time contracts if the vote goes through. No doubt copied straight from the BBC website, that seemed to be their only source of news going by the recent documentary.

2 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

Most of the time you wouldn't know QP existed if you read the Evening Times.  Not even a sentence for a match report.  Pretty dismal for a Glasgow paper.