Queen's Park 2019/20

A bit of bad news from the club websites match preview "Unfortunately, we go into the game with a number of injuries to content with, notably Lewis Magee who looks to have picked up a serious injury at training on Thursday night. We don’t know the extent of it at this early stage but it doesn’t look good and that’s very disappointing for both the player and ourselves given the start he has made to the season." Heres hoping he makes a speedy recovery, as he has been great so far this season.

2 hours ago, Ben Reilly said:

A bit of bad news from the club websites match preview "Unfortunately, we go into the game with a number of injuries to content with, notably Lewis Magee who looks to have picked up a serious injury at training on Thursday night. We don’t know the extent of it at this early stage but it doesn’t look good and that’s very disappointing for both the player and ourselves given the start he has made to the season." Heres hoping he makes a speedy recovery, as he has been great so far this season.

I believe Adam Martin's injury was inflicted by one of our coaches on a training night bounce game. Taking "matchday realism" too far.

On 14/09/2019 at 12:20, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I believe Adam Martin's injury was inflicted by one of our coaches on a training night bounce game. Taking "matchday realism" too far.

News from the boot room...Lewis Magee's left knee strapped up with the 21st century version of a stookie. Hospital tests early this week.  One of those horrible stud-caught-in-the-surface events that sometimes happens on 4G. Big fella's gutted "especially as it's happened just as I was having a good run." Get's his knee popped and he's more concerned about losing his place. Great guy!

Adam Martin was moving freely, if a little gently, up and down the stands yesterday. No sign of stookie so hopefully making good progress. Cammy Foy looked well and obviously working on his carbs by they way he was going through some sandwiches :) DC reportedly still on the carrot battens and pine nuts. Hopefully he'll pull on the jersey soon. In very good spirit. Great to have him back.

EGM  of members in October to vote on going pro. 75% majority required.

I can understand Gerry's motives in wanting to make sure there is no dubiety. Plus the fact that only 7% of the people who voted at last meeting wanted to stay amateur

But 75% is a high threshold to meet. It won't take that many people with their heads in the sand to ensure it isn't met. 

Hope for the future of QP that Gerry's gamble pays off.

8 minutes ago, Boris the Spider said:

EGM  of members in October to vote on going pro. 75% majority required.

I can understand Gerry's motives in wanting to make sure there is no dubiety. Plus the fact that only 7% of the people who voted at last meeting wanted to stay amateur

But 75% is a high threshold to meet. It won't take that many people with their heads in the sand to ensure it isn't met. 

Hope for the future of QP that Gerry's gamble pays off.

What an utterly ludicrous situation it would be to find ourselves in, if 70% of the membership, plus a clear majority of supporters, were in favour of professionalism and it failed to carry. 

Edited by an86

10 hours ago, an86 said:

What an utterly ludicrous situation it would be to find ourselves in, if 70% of the membership, plus a clear majority of supporters, were in favour of professionalism and it failed to carry. 

If such a situation occurred I would expect resignations from Committee to follow. As I have said before, those that vote against have to be prepared to step up and run the Club. If they veto the will of the Club for their beliefs of what Queen's Park is then sitting on the sidelines is not acceptable. They have to accept responsibility and deliver the Club they want.

29 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

After last night, I think people who want to stay amateur need to consider if it’s worth it to go against the will of the people. Personally I see the vote failing in October.

When the chairman announced the threshold (completely against the EU Venice Convention on refernda by the way) he allowed his "learned friend" to confirm as the constitutional expert. I've just had a check and there's no minimum threshold for votes in the Articles, only for the percentage of members required to call an EGM. So it looks like this is a target rather than a constitutional requirement. It's a bold move Cotton!

That said, the whisper needs to be brought to a shout. There were a few questions came to mind last night but it's worthless of anyone's time until we know which direction we are going in. In business management, there are three levels; Strategical (2-5 years), Tactical (6 months - 2 years) and Operational (0-6 months). They cascade from Strategy downward.

So without a Strategy, the rest doesn't work well. Issues about income and expenditure (which encompasses all other questions one way or another) sit in the Tactical area and can't be qualified, at any level of detail, without the direction of the Strategy. I couldn't begin to count the number of Change management meetings I've sat in where people get confused over what is Strategical and what is Tactical and head off down the wrong road in an eagerness to get things done.

So, until this primary question is resolved the rest has to wait. Even the elephant-in-the-room question I gently nudged last night can't be fully explored until we make a choice about the playing status. I'm with the Chairman, sooner the better. Though I would much appreciate not having it during the school holidays. 22/23 October would be great. Just saying!

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks