Queen's Park 2019/20

As regards the pros & cons of going pro, I'm not over fussed how we get there and whether it needs votes or not, I think the writing is on the wall and it seems like the decision is inevitable. I remain to be convinced that we can survive financially as a pro club... but equally I am not convinced we can survive in our current form. I don't have any great enthusiasm for tuning pro but its worth noting that when i first watched QP over 50 years ago, only 2 of today's team would have been eligible to play (assuming they were alive!). So, in a way we've already completed a large part of the journey

The big plus point for me is that we might be able to hold on to our better players - at least for a season or two longer than we do at present.  There is much optimism about this year's squad. it may or may not be well founded, but let's allow ourselves the luxury of imagining it is & we win promotion. Surely the ability to offer the winning squad pro contracts would enable us to keep more of them than under the current system and who knows we might be able to last more than our standard 2 seasons in a higher league.  

Has the cost of upgrading lesser Hampden been revealed? - it would be nice to think we might be able to keep some of the SFA money back to fall back on if things  don't work out.

On a lighter note, has there been any discussion of a name for our new stadium. I don't want us to play a t anywhere that is "lesser." I woudl suggest we change it to Greater Hampden!.

Alternatively, there is surely money to made form the naming rights. Anyone up for Camp Bru?

54 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

As regards the pros & cons of going pro, I'm not over fussed how we get there and whether it needs votes or not, I think the writing is on the wall and it seems like the decision is inevitable. I remain to be convinced that we can survive financially as a pro club... but equally I am not convinced we can survive in our current form. I don't have any great enthusiasm for tuning pro but its worth noting that when i first watched QP over 50 years ago, only 2 of today's team would have been eligible to play (assuming they were alive!). So, in a way we've already completed a large part of the journey

The big plus point for me is that we might be able to hold on to our better players - at least for a season or two longer than we do at present.  There is much optimism about this year's squad. it may or may not be well founded, but let's allow ourselves the luxury of imagining it is & we win promotion. Surely the ability to offer the winning squad pro contracts would enable us to keep more of them than under the current system and who knows we might be able to last more than our standard 2 seasons in a higher league.  

Has the cost of upgrading lesser Hampden been revealed? - it would be nice to think we might be able to keep some of the SFA money back to fall back on if things  don't work out.

On a lighter note, has there been any discussion of a name for our new stadium. I don't want us to play a t anywhere that is "lesser." I woudl suggest we change it to Greater Hampden!.

Alternatively, there is surely money to made form the naming rights. Anyone up for Camp Bru?

Excellent we get double the sponsorship. Our national drink and ersatz coffee.

10 hours ago, The man with no name said:

The running of the Club rests in the hands of Committee. You seem insistent that Committee have a vote and give their reasons if there isn't one. You have it all wrong! If a vote is required then Committee should tell the Members why it is necessary. If Committee have the power to proceed without a vote then that is what should happen especially if the consultation process shows a majority in favour of the change!

Spider makes what I think are many valid points and I wonder what are the Committee afraid of? It appears that they have made up their minds and are afraid that the Members will not vote for it. I do not see where we are going to get the income to go Pro and that we are going to rely on using our reserves and that can only go on for so long. The Committee are in a catch 22 situation, I do not envy them their task, but if they go ahead on their own and the club goes bankrupt in 10/15 years because they have used up all the reserves, they cannot say that they did so, with the Members approval. Have an official vote with the members, because as I have said before, the Members own the Club. What are the Committee afraid of? Come on  TMWNN tell us, as with the passion in the way you speak about this matter, I suspect that you are on the Committee.  

32 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Spider makes what I think are many valid points and I wonder what are the Committee afraid of? It appears that they have made up their minds and are afraid that the Members will not vote for it. I do not see where we are going to get the income to go Pro and that we are going to rely on using our reserves and that can only go on for so long. The Committee are in a catch 22 situation, I do not envy them their task, but if they go ahead on their own and the club goes bankrupt in 10/15 years because they have used up all the reserves, they cannot say that they did so, with the Members approval. Have an official vote with the members, because as I have said before, the Members own the Club. What are the Committee afraid of? Come on  TMWNN tell us, as with the passion in the way you speak about this matter, I suspect that you are on the Committee.  

Spider is Fox Mulder, searching for conspiracies where none exist. Trust no one!

You I suspect are in the same mould.

I have spoken to Committee Members and asked what are the consequences of going professional and also the consequences of staying amateur. Perhaps if you both did the same or even turn up and put your points to a general meeting then you can have the answers or assurances you seek.

Get out from behind your phones or pcs and engage instead of sniping from the sidelines!

Read it again. It asks you to express a view by e mail. If you want to ask a question, you are being given that opportunity. Take it.

Thanks. That's helpful. I really should have known better than to follow the recommended procedure.

image.png.2218c19d2b3d118104be7dc5c61e15ec.png

Pleased with Joffrey today. Once he gets fitter he will be a great addition to the squad.

I had wondered if the hurly burly of our game might distract him from the inevitable French flair but he seemed to have both ends of the bookcase. Definitely an asset. His deadball flight is perfect.

Looking forward to the back story as how he ended up walking down the Cathcart Road.

58 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Read it again. It asks you to express a view by e mail. If you want to ask a question, you are being given that opportunity. Take it.

Read my previous posts again you numptie. I did exactly that several days before the meeting and never had the courtesy of a reply, or even any acknowledgement. That's what I was complaining about in the first place, so thanks for just rubbing that in a little bit more. And before you helpfully suggest that i follow this up with the club, I'll be doing exactly that. Jeez, with friends like you.............

Just about everyone I've spoken to or heard speak at various meetings has come to the conclusion that we need to go pro to have a chance to survive in senior football. Some don't like it but are realistic to know we have little option.

Whilst realising the risks of going pro I can't help being a bit excited by the prospect. Where do we get funds to go pro? I don't know but I do know that a lot of new opportunities open up.

As a wise man said at the QP AGM. - "let's just get this done".

16 hours ago, Dooflick said:

Have an official vote with the members, because as I have said before, the Members own the Club. What are the Committee afraid of? 

I don't think they have anything to be afraid of . It was clear from this year's AGM what the mood was. Only 5 or 6 folk raised their hands when asked if they were against us going pro.

I do however understand that if an official vote was on the table then the turn out at an AGM or EGM would be greater, as would the number of proxy votes from people who still retain membership despite never attending games or having any active involvement in the club.  A lot of these people don't know the current issues we face and have a rather romanticised view of our club.

Anyone remember the AGM from a few years back when certain members where absolutely shitting themselves at the prospect of other members daring to stand against their favourites for committee? We even had a vote for the Presidency for the first time ever. This produced the most amazing scurrying around for proxy votes, as well as the sight of auld timers getting wheeled in to the meeting who hadn't voted in years.  It was these votes that narrowly got some committee members re-elected  that night, and if it wasn't for the proxy votes then a different President would have been elected.

Therefore, imo, having an official members' vote to decide these things isn't always a fair reflection on the mood of the support as a whole.  

Edited by Mick1867

I'll say it again, if you have a question, come along to the meetings and ask them personally. That gets results, even if it's a refusal to answer. It was good to see so many there on Thursday and to hear the views of fans, members and parents. Awkward questions were asked and answered. A good exercise in consultation.

Our Secretary and President are battling with the SFA on a number of fronts and trying to get a major building project off the ground. Don't take this too personally, but I know what I want them to concentrate their efforts on.

Read my previous posts again you numptie. I did exactly that several days before the meeting and never had the courtesy of a reply, or even any acknowledgement. That's what I was complaining about in the first place, so thanks for just rubbing that in a little bit more. And before you helpfully suggest that i follow this up with the club, I'll be doing exactly that. Jeez, with friends like you.............

30 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Therefore, imo, having an official members' vote to decide these things isn't always a fair reflection on the mood of the support as a whole.  

Life isn't always fair Mick, but IF (here we go again!) changing our status requires a change in our constitution, then them's the rules and we have to abide by them. The sooner that the "IF" issue is clarified then the better for all and we can move on one way or the other - wouldn't you agree?

59 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

I don't think they have anything to be afraid of . It was clear from this year's AGM what the mood was. Only 5 or 6 folk raised their hands when asked if they were against us going pro.

I do however understand that if an official vote was on the table then the turn out at an AGM or EGM would be greater, as would the number of proxy votes from people who still retain membership despite never attending games or having any active involvement in the club.  A lot of these people don't know the current issues we face and have a rather romanticised view of our club.

Anyone remember the AGM from a few years back when certain members where absolutely shitting themselves at the prospect of other members daring to stand against their favourites for committee? We even had a vote for the Presidency for the first time ever. This produced the most amazing scurrying around for proxy votes, as well as the sight of auld timers getting wheeled in to the meeting who hadn't voted in years.  It was these votes that narrowly got some committee members re-elected  that night, and if it wasn't for the proxy votes then a different President would have been elected.

I think you are right Mick regards the Presidents position, as I heard that there were more people in the hall who voted for KH than for AH. The Committee pulled out all the stops it appears on that occasion to ensure that the got their way. I would think that they would do the same again. My problem is that I think like Spider on this and believe that they must officially ask the Members, at a meeting to vote on this matter and not just ask for a show of hands or conduct what I believe they called an Exit Poll and the end of a meeting that contained people who were not Members of the Club. If you are right Mick, that they have nothing to fear, why do they not do it?

59 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

or conduct what I believe they called an Exit Poll and the end of a meeting that contained people who were not Members of the Club. If you are right Mick, that they have nothing to fear, why do they not do it?

Probably because they don't have to, my understanding is they have the power to do it based on any evidence they wish to consider and there is no need to change the constitution to do so. That's what they keep telling us anyway. If some members are unhappy with that then the only option is for them to call an EGM, as Boris says.  It's been done before on other matters so why not this? I suggest that those who have allegedly been "keeping their powder dry" use this option if they believe in it so passionately. If they are unavailable for whatever reason to attend these types of meetings and voice their opinions then I don't see any other option for them ( of course your emails should also be receiving a response but we all know our office staff are notorious slow and in some cases unreactive)

re the exit poll of non-members. I value their opinions far more than somebody who will only show up once in a blue moon or give their proxy for an official vote.. Most of them are relatively young compared to the membership. They will be the future members . More and more of their peers have become full members. The exit poll was also worded so the committee will be able to separately calculate the wishes of the members and non-members who were present 

Bonnyrigg Rose being odds on at 1/3 to win at Shielfield in their Lowland League opener is a pretty stark visual indicator of what Lowland League football means for clubs like ours. We simply have to give ourselves the best chance of avoiding it.