Queen's Park 2019/20

10 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

Do you genuinely think our players try harder because we don’t pay them or is it because we recruit players with that attitude and paying them a wage wouldn’t change their attitude.

That's a very good point Nathan and if we appoint players with the same attitude then you would get the same outcome. The problem is that it's far harder to determine a player's attitude than it is his ability. In fact you can apply that to any employer where someone talks the talk at their interview, but months later the facade unravels. All I was saying was that when amateur players play against professionals it's for the love of it rather than the money, and there's an additional determination to prove that they are just as good, if not better than their opponents.

A few posts back someone (Mick?) drew comparison with the humpings we got last season by the teams in the top half of the table. Is that a fair comparison when they are spending up to £500 a week on some players? Surely the fairer comparison was our results against teams who didn't have that kind of money to splash out, and I think you'll find we did pretty well against them last year.

Anyway, what will be will be and we'll just have to hope that those who make the big decisions make the right ones.

9 minutes ago, The Spider said:

I respect that point of view but (obviously) there's no guarantee that we wouldn't go down as an professional club either, and then how do you continue to pay the minimum wages (no reduction for Lowland League I'm afraid) with much reduced income? Perhaps we're in a "damned if we do, damned if we don't" situation so I understand those who want us to turn pro as it's at least not death by inactivity, but I'll need to see a feasible business model that avoids a continual drain on our finances before i concede it's the way forward. This can't be a "it'll be alright on the night" risky decision where we gamble our future on a big incoming transfer fee or a cup tie at Ibrox or Parkhead.

Of course, a model will have to be put in place. I expect this to be part of the conversation that is going to have to happen in the very near future within the football club.

As Gerry Crawley has mentioned, we have to maximise our assets. We have a pitch that we can rent out and a stadium we can rent out. I expect we'd be able to generate a reasonable income from these things. We probably have to make more of the social club and office space. These are things that other clubs in the league aren't in the fortunate position to have. 

Whatever happens, we will be taking a risk. My opinion is that the risk of standing still is greater than the risk of making a move. I do think we have the potential to make the next era for the club a successful one, but that can only happen if we're a league club. 

Incidentally, it should also be noted that we've just lost Michael Ruth (Aberdeen) , Stephen Bradley (Hibs) and Josh Black (Ross County) from the youth system and we'll be getting next to nothing in return. 

3 minutes ago, an86 said:

Incidentally, it should also be noted that we've just lost Michael Ruth (Aberdeen) , Stephen Bradley (Hibs) and Josh Black (Ross County) from the youth system and we'll be getting next to nothing in return. 

Shame we’ve lost Bradley, liked the look of him during his cameo appearances in the first team and by the sounds of it, he was outstanding in the youths 

1 hour ago, The Spider said:

A few posts back someone (Mick?) drew comparison with the humpings we got last season by the teams in the top half of the table. Is that a fair comparison when they are spending up to £500 a week on some players? Surely the fairer comparison was our results against teams who didn't have that kind of money to splash out, and I think you'll find we did pretty well against them last year.

What are you havering about now?

2 hours ago, NathanQP said:

I never suggested killing the Youth System, it will certainly have to be downsized though.

The youth system is the most successful part of the Club and the part that offers us the best chance of survival as a professional club. Why would we downsize it. Our players are leaving our under 18 side and going to Premier League clubs. We are losing considerable sums of money because we can't offer even a part-time minimum wage contract. 

16 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

What are you havering about now?

Calm down dear! The question mark was a clue that I wasn't sure it was you Mick (it was actually Chester now that i look back) but apologies if I have offended your sensibilities.

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Whatever happens, we will be taking a risk. My opinion is that the risk of standing still is greater than the risk of making a move.

The most sensible post on this subject yet. I suspect that will reflect the majority view if it ever comes to a members' vote, but until then I'll enjoy our current status for as long as it lasts.

On 03/07/2019 at 09:49, an86 said:

He played last night, albeit he didn't have a great deal to do. Fantastic to see him and DC back at the club. 

DC hasn't played real competitive football for ages and is still working on his fitness. He wasn't on the bench last night but was training. Think he will be making his comeback eventually in the Strollers.  Muir should start the season as number 1 but to have two quality and experienced keepers competing for the jersey and pushing each other on in training is a huge bonus

I thought we were the better side last night but Ayr took two of their few chances and we missed some good ones

Muir was unlucky not to save their second which was a one on one. 

Big centre half Little (from Largs) did well as did the left back Clark (from Livingston)

No 11, Purdue from Morton, really impressed me

The striker from Kilsyth puts himself about. He missed a  great chance, as did Moore when he came on

Alfredo Agyeman - ex-Motherwell striker – came on and looked quite tricky. Had a couple of decent runs

Thompson from our youths is only 15 but he looks a find. He apparently can't play in any of the competitive matches until he turns 16 next month

I think we will definitely need more experience, and I think the midfield needs beefed up. Hopefully more signings to follow. Hard to judge things until the real stuff starts 

Edited by Mick1867

16 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Calm down dear! The question mark was a clue that I wasn't sure it was you Mick (it was actually Chester now that i look back) but apologies if I have offended your sensibilities.

Aye, no bother Mr Winner

Thompson was excellent - 15?????. Put himself about.

Overall a decent performance albeit we did look like 11 individuals rather than a team, but that's what the pre-season is there to fix.

It's perhaps disappointing that we have a fairly challenging Betfred group to negotiate.

42 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

DC hasn't played real competitive football for ages and is still working on his fitness. He wasn't on the bench last night but was training. Think he will be making his comeback eventually in the Strollers.  Muir should start the season as number 1 but to have two quality and experienced keepers competing for the jersey and pushing each other on in training is a huge bonus

I thought we were the better side last night but Ayr took two of their few chances and we missed some good ones

Muir was unlucky not to save their second which was a one on one. 

Big centre half Little from Largs did well as did the left back Clark (from Kirky Rob Roy?)

No 11, Purdue from Morton, really impressed me

The striker from Kilsyth puts himself about. He missed a  great chance, as did Moore when he came on

Alfredo Agyeman - ex-Motherwell striker – came on and looked quite tricky. Had a couple of decent runs

Thompson from our youths is only 15 but he looks a find. He apparently can't play in any of the competitive matches until he turns 16 next month

I think we will definitely need more experience, and I think the midfield needs beefed up. Hopefully more signings to follow. Hard to judge things until the real stuff starts 

15 years old wow. He looked terrific and didn’t get bullied at all 

Thompson was excellent - 15?????. Put himself about.

Overall a decent performance albeit we did look like 11 individuals rather than a team, but that's what the pre-season is there to fix.

It's perhaps disappointing that we have a fairly challenging Betfred group to negotiate.

I thought we played well as a team and from what I saw last night I’m looking forward to the season ahead

Comments on here about the game are very encouraging. Are they all signed or still trialling? If the latter then they could still be talking to others as well. Sooner they are part of a team then they'll play as a team. Trials are all about the indivudual performance. Sounds promising though. 

Really pleasing to read about Davie Crawford. I always wonder about the club's spent energy bringing former players to the main stand for a day and then they're never seen again. Former players always have a kindly word for QP but very few come back to get involved, directly or indirectly. Maybe Ketts has some good loanees based down this way.:whistle

7 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

That'll do me. I'm impressed by your analysis from the social club looking  through a beer glass. 😂

Barred from the club due to the ladies' bingo night so had to settle for the hip flask once again