Queen's Park 2019/20

A lot of the younger boys can definitely play at this level and we know we have one of the best keepers in the league in Wullie Muir and one of the best players in the league in Galt.

My real worry isn't necessarily about the ability of the squad, but it's about if we get into a bad run of results, will we be mentally strong enough to dig in and get out of it at the other side? I'd be much more comfortable if we managed to get in a couple of experienced campaigners to talk the younger lads through the game and dish out educational bollockings when required. These guys wouldn't need to be world beaters by any means, just streetwise at this level. 

As Vimto90 has said, Aissa is not a “big striker”.

He did well during pre-season at Stirling and came off the bench to score in a game against Hearts and there was a fair amount of expectation about him but it just didn’t happen for him.

He kicked the season off being back up and on the bench, but made little impact when he came on, then dropped out of the picture completely. Some people say he was never really given a chance, others thought he simply wasn’t up to it, with how poor the team was performed during his time, I suspect that really was the case. Don’t know how many times he actually played, but in a whole season it must only had been a handful of times.

Wish him well at Queens Park, maybe he’ll be one of those players that drops down and comes back stronger.

56 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I think we have the makings of a decent squad with the ability to play some attractive football. I agree that an experienced head could make all the difference to challenge higher up the league. All is not lost.

I don't think we can challenge at the business end, but I do think a couple of old heads could keep us out of trouble. When you tally up the aggregate number of senior league starts in our starting XI, I doubt the total will amount to much.

A mid-table season, kept out of danger, would be a good return. These young guys will make mistakes and will likely struggle for consistency. It's usually under 40 points to be safe, but we'd want to get to 40 to make absolutely sure. Average of ten points per quarter. Think a solid start is important because things could easily get away from us if it goes the other way. 

Pre-season jitters are now the new norm. In our situation, we have a lot of unknowns and a big trap door at the end of the season. Couple of early wins would do a lot for everyone at the club. 

Surprised young grant has come back. He was so.out of the picture in the 2nd half of the season. I suppose he has a bit more experience now and hopefully learned from his errors. 

Quite happy there has been a clear out of guys like Gerry, jambo and gow. To me these guys did not help our young players at all. Gibby is a player all young guys respect I think.

Agree with everyone else we need a couple of mid to late 20s players to support our younger side if things get tough 

Would love to see big mcgeever back. Released by brechin anyone any idea were he is playing this year.

There are 100s of free agents but with our status still amateur we will be there last point of call . Waiting to see if more money available anywhere including juniors.

I read that Euan East is listed on the PFA availability list. Did he walk or let go? Skillful player but but his off-the-ball game needs a bit of work. Wouldn't be the first to come back after the season starts.

http://pfascotland.co.uk/Membership-Benefits/player-availability-list/

Couple of maybes in amongst all this...especially in defence. Very difficult finding an auld heid who just wants to play for playing's sake. Jambo wanted a bit of cash because he's got a new son but he won't get more than £40-50 at Stenny. McGeever trialling for Morton apparently. He and Wullie were a strong force. But it's the nature of a competitive player to always try and do better and Ryan's plenty of time to keep trying at Pro level before he has to fall back to QP. Hope I'm wrong. Maybe Galty will have a word🤴🏻 

3 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Quite happy there has been a clear out of guys like Gerry, jambo and gow. To me these guys did not help our young players at all.

Were they cleared out or did they just choose to leave?

Agree with you on Gow, completely disagree with you on Gerry, who I thought did a great job and let's not forget that during the season he was diagnosed with diabetes ( well he actually played most of the season feeling like shite before it was eventually diagnosed) Jambo was played out of position most of the time by Roberts due to the injury situation at the back and then picked up an injury himself.   

I'll only be happy if we have replaced them with better players

Edited by Mick1867

1 hour ago, bobthespider said:

Is today not supposed to be when we let the fans know what new players we have signed.

Think so bobthespider.  The SAFA foms state this, hence why it's always been July. So, now it's July.

All player registrations and this agreement will automatically be cancelled on the 30 June each season. (from the SAFA Player Agreement Form)

http://www.scottishamateurfa.co.uk/static_page/id/safasyfaagreement

We're one of only two in Scotland not on the SPFL list so far. 

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

4 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I read that Euan East is listed on the PFA availability list. Did he walk or let go? Skillful player but but his off-the-ball game needs a bit of work. Wouldn't be the first to come back after the season starts.

http://pfascotland.co.uk/Membership-Benefits/player-availability-list/

Couple of maybes in amongst all this...especially in defence. Very difficult finding an auld heid who just wants to play for playing's sake. Jambo wanted a bit of cash because he's got a new son but he won't get more than £40-50 at Stenny. McGeever trialling for Morton apparently. He and Wullie were a strong force. But it's the nature of a competitive player to always try and do better and Ryan's plenty of time to keep trying at Pro level before he has to fall back to QP. Hope I'm wrong. Maybe Galty will have a word🤴🏻 

It would be illegal to pay anybody that as it would be way below the minimum wage.

3 hours ago, bobthespider said:

Is today not supposed to be when we let the fans know what new players we have signed.

The guys that volunteer to do the club website and social media are probably working on it at the moment

2 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

£25 an hour. Thinks are looking bright in Cowdenbeath.

Lot more to it than that. You have to take into account training , traveling to away games etc all are classed as working hours.

21 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Couple of centre halfs from largs. Young forward from Morton Purdew.

Another centre mid. Big forward from Kilsyth. 

The name Luke Main has appeared on the OS...a midfielder. Assuming that's our lad from the reserves? If it's the guy I'm thinking of down at Berwick he looked quite handy...and competitive.