Queen's Park 2019/20

Especially Amateur smaller clubs.

Debate starts here.

BB football has gone, ditto schools football and decent amateur clubs are a dying breed. Funding for youth development at smaller SPFL clubs is being significantly reduced. Less to distract the kids from stealing your hub caps. If the SFA have any responsibility for football as a social sport (and they do), they're making a right arse of it.

Still, we can rely on the big Glasgow clubs to continue to churn out international standard Scots players. 

On 12/06/2019 at 16:29, spider1867 said:

Well folks pre season training  starts on Monday. Will be a meet and greet the way things are going.  Heard another couple have left. Just awaiting confirmation. I believe one could be Ruth. 

Signed for Aberdeen

2 hours ago, Ally said:

Signed for Aberdeen

I'll wish him well as he did his bit for us when he got a chance. Sadly, this has all the hallmarks of a predatory club hoovering up young prospect, free of charge, for a couple of years in a development squad before he gets sold to Peterhead or Brechin. Hope he finds the Spittal path, but the odds are against him.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I'll wish him well as he did his bit for us when he got a chance. Sadly, this has all the hallmarks of a predatory club hoovering up young prospect, free of charge, for a couple of years in a development squad before he gets sold to Peterhead or Brechin. Hope he finds the Spittal path, but the odds are against him.

Came in to see if there was any chat about Ruth and saw this post. FWIW, Aberdeen paid a fee for Shankland when United did not for Robertson and Conolly. Would not be surprised if that was the case this time as well.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13110430.aberdeen-agree-terms-over-shankland-move/

Came in to see if there was any chat about Ruth and saw this post. FWIW, Aberdeen paid a fee for Shankland when United did not for Robertson and Conolly. Would not be surprised if that was the case this time as well.
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13110430.aberdeen-agree-terms-over-shankland-move/

Robertson himself insisted that United paid a fee; ditto Spittal.

24 minutes ago, spider1867 said:

Hearing Maclean is away as well.  Others considering leaving if right calibre of player not brought in by Mark. 

So we have Gibson, Summers, Mortimer, Magee, Mcgrory, Gow, Moore and Gault left from last year. 

Jeezo that does not sound very promising. Anything on Gerry?

Re Michael Ruth, I think thats a bad move. Aberdeen aren't renowned for bringing  kids through, look at Lawrence Shankland, he wasted three years of his career at Pitoddrie. Ruth might benefit from the full time training but there's a big risk he'll get lost in their youth system, he would get far more out of staying at Hampden for another season and getting 30/40 first team games under his belt. Anyway, hope he proves me wrong.

52 minutes ago, JT1867 said:

Re Michael Ruth, I think thats a bad move. Aberdeen aren't renowned for bringing  kids through, look at Lawrence Shankland, he wasted three years of his career at Pitoddrie. Ruth might benefit from the full time training but there's a big risk he'll get lost in their youth system, he would get far more out of staying at Hampden for another season and getting 30/40 first team games under his belt. Anyway, hope he proves me wrong.

In cases like this could we not ask the player and their new club for a season's loan back?

3 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

In cases like this could we not ask the player and their new club for a season's loan back?

We have no rights to anything, we can ask but they have no obligation to grant anything. 7 years at Queen's and we get nothing just because we can't offer a professional contract.

6 hours ago, JT1867 said:

Completely disagree.

How on earth is he going to develop by playing another season with the same dross as last season?

A great chance for the lad to develop at 1 of the best clubs in Scotland. You mention Shankland, but the reality is Shankland has come out of it all pretty well, yes not with Aberdeen but obviously something has worked that he’s had a great season at Ayr and there’s a few Premiership clubs who would like him in their team.

1 hour ago, The man with no name said:

We have no rights to anything, we can ask but they have no obligation to grant anything. 7 years at Queen's and we get nothing just because we can't offer a professional contract.

I am fully aware of this which is why I used the word ask. Don't ask don't get.

1 hour ago, big al said:

Completely disagree.

How on earth is he going to develop by playing another season with the same dross as last season?

A great chance for the lad to develop at 1 of the best clubs in Scotland. You mention Shankland, but the reality is Shankland has come out of it all pretty well, yes not with Aberdeen but obviously something has worked that he’s had a great season at Ayr and there’s a few Premiership clubs who would like him in their team.

Totally agree. People forget the work the physios will do, the sports scientists, the coaching staff. They will give him every chance to succeed and make him an athlete. I believe players should play as many first team games as possible but going to a full time club helps progression. 

11 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

I am fully aware of this which is why I used the word ask. Don't ask don't get.

He didn't set the heather on fire when he was in the first team. If we were looking at taking a loan player then I would be looking for someone with more experience and you know will do the job.