Queen's Park 2019/20

18 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Pretty sure that when Boris originally called him a great player he was talking more about his ability, not his overall status in our history . I can't speak for him though.

I am well aware of the difference between being "great" and being "a great" For the record, he's one of the best keepers I've ever seen play for us and any player who plays a major role in one of our promotion winning sides is pretty legendary to me  ( we've only had 6 in our history after all)

It was quite simple (I thought!). Wullie was a great QP player. I didn't think that was a remotely contentious comment.   

Quite what it has to do with Bill Burgess, Alan Irvine etc etc etc ........... I don't know (and don't want to find out). 

2 hours ago, The Spider said:

To put that in perspective Mick, how many seasons is that? I've been a regualr since 1972 so I've seen a lot of good/great Queen's 'keepers over the years, although I've certainly noticed a big drop-off in levels (a bit like strikers they are obviously harder to find nowadays!) in recent years so can understand your statement.

I've seen every keeper since Derek Atkins who is obviously one of the best I've seen, along with Mick Monaghan and David Crawford.   I also though Neil Inglis was great in our 99/2000 championship season, very underrated member of that side imo.  Stevie Ross obviously our best wee keeper :P his best season was undoubtedly 85/86 

Would be unfair to say who I thought was the best out of that lot as some of them played in an era before the pass back law was introduced and there was less emphasis on their kicking abilities and distribution  

Edited by Mick1867

1 minute ago, williebraveheart said:

Personally I don't think Willie Muir held a candle to any of those previously mentioned. 

Fair enough. I'm basing it on the fact that in his first season we finished 2nd and reached the play off final. His second season we won promotion. His third season we finished 6th in League 1 ( at one point 3rd with a few games to go) No way would we have achieved all that without having a "fabulous" goalie, his high quality performances over that period are a fact

The idea that, in our difficult recruitment situation, we could afford to turn up our nose at a goalkeeper of Willie Muir's quality, is just ridiculous.

We simply will not be able to sign a better goalkeeper, for this level, to replace Jordan Hart. Zero chance. Zilch. If he's available, sign him. 

5 minutes ago, an86 said:

The idea that, in our difficult recruitment situation, we could afford to turn up our nose at a goalkeeper of Willie Muir's quality, is just ridiculous.

We simply will not be able to sign a better goalkeeper, for this level, to replace Jordan Hart. Zero chance. Zilch. If he's available, sign him. 

This. Precisely. Ronnie Simpson was the best of them all but he's unavailable. As for Muir's attitude, it's a sorry world that can't allow people to make mistakes and come back a better person.

According to QP Facebook page we will find out signing news tomorrow. Whether this is just players we have re-signed or new players as well I’m not sure but it is described as “great” news. That word again.
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is we can announce those who have re-signed from last season in June, but can't officially annonce signing anyone new until July.

6 minutes ago, Ben Reilly said:
27 minutes ago, Boris the Spider said:
According to QP Facebook page we will find out signing news tomorrow. Whether this is just players we have re-signed or new players as well I’m not sure but it is described as “great” news. That word again.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is we can announce those who have re-signed from last season in June, but can't officially annonce signing anyone new until July.

Possibly but not sure if that applies to new players that are not currently with a club. 

Possibly but not sure if that applies to new players that are not currently with a club. 
Yes to be more specific I don't think we can announce signing anyone who was previously on a professional contract last season (including Junior) until July. Something about having to wait 30 days from the end of a professional contract before being registered as an amateur. Again,I may not have that quite right

I heard through a mutual friend that Adam Cummins' out-of-football work circumstances have changed, and Stranraer have agreed that they will terminate his new contract, on the condition that he signs for a lower-ranked club. As I understand it, Queen's are ahead of a couple of other League Two clubs in securing his signature. He'd make-up a tremendous back three alongside Scott Gibson and your new man from Largs. 

Most people I've discussed it with don't rate Gow and think we should be shot of him. I can see why they say that and for that reason hope he's not in the signings' list ........................yet! I think he's a player who needs to be motivated and would prefer it if we invited him back for pre-season training on a "we'll see how it goes"" basis. I still think there's a player there, but he needs a really good pre-season behind him if we're to see that. Based on last season's performances I'd put the onus on him to show us how much he wants to be part of this season, rather than hand it to him on a plate.

3 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

I heard through a mutual friend that Adam Cummins' out-of-football work circumstances have changed, and Stranraer have agreed that they will terminate his new contract, on the condition that he signs for a lower-ranked club. As I understand it, Queen's are ahead of a couple of other League Two clubs in securing his signature. He'd make-up a tremendous back three alongside Scott Gibson and your new man from Largs. 

Wow that's a shocker - you have a friend :rolleyes:? Seriously though that's great news if true. Maybe you have your uses after all!

45 minutes ago, The man with no name said:

Hazzard still looking at a flat in Battlefield Road. Once he's happy with it, media team good to go!

Damn! Just seen him boarding a plane back to London. Apparently the flat was shored up at the back due to subsidence from historic mining. Just hope the Cummins deal goes through to restore the balance.