Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Less than twelve months out from moving day and the Hampden deal still rumbling on, a number of key players leaving a squad that finished 7th, a debate about our own status as an amateur club, and a trapdoor below us with teams starting to find serious money to fund their push for league status.

These are the choppiest waters we've been in for some time and this season is even more crucial than most for our future as a club. It is vitally important that we get into our new home with league status in place and have a proper crack at things. Relegation, especially with the Hampden comfort blanket going, would be a disaster. 

Last season had some great moments, but when you scratch the surface, the need for improvement is glaringly obvious. Of our eleven wins, seven of them came against two of the worst sides to grace league football in a number of years. Obviously, a lot of the younger guys will have had the benefit of a season under their belts, but we'll need to bring in guys better than the likes of Roberts, Hart, McKernon etc. if we're going to aim higher. That's a tough ask. 

There will be a whole rake of teams in the league, probably six or seven, thinking "we'll be alright." The reality is that one of us won't be. We have to make sure it's not us. Obviously, I'd love a tilt at the playoffs but that'd take almost perfect recruitment. If someone offered me the dull nothingness of not being involved at either end, I'd bite their hand off right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, an86 said:

Less than twelve months out from moving day and the Hampden deal still rumbling on, a number of key players leaving a squad that finished 7th, a debate about our own status as an amateur club, and a trapdoor below us with teams starting to find serious money to fund their push for league status.

These are the choppiest waters we've been in for some time and this season is even more crucial than most for our future as a club. It is vitally important that we get into our new home with league status in place and have a proper crack at things. Relegation, especially with the Hampden comfort blanket going, would be a disaster. 

Last season had some great moments, but when you scratch the surface, the need for improvement is glaringly obvious. Of our eleven wins, seven of them came against two of the worst sides to grace league football in a number of years. Obviously, a lot of the younger guys will have had the benefit of a season under their belts, but we'll need to bring in guys better than the likes of Roberts, Hart, McKernon etc. if we're going to aim higher. That's a tough ask. 

There will be a whole rake of teams in the league, probably six or seven, thinking "we'll be alright." The reality is that one of us won't be. We have to make sure it's not us. Obviously, I'd love a tilt at the playoffs but that'd take almost perfect recruitment. If someone offered me the dull nothingness of not being involved at either end, I'd bite their hand off right now. 

Excuse my ignorance, Is it Lesser Hampden that'll be your new home? Enjoyed the novelty of seeing Sons playing QP at the national stadium a few times, but I'd imagine that a smaller ground & crowd nearer the pitch would be better all round.

Sounds like a good move?

Obviously a lot of history & emotional ties with Hampden of course.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Excuse my ignorance, Is it Lesser Hampden that'll be your new home? Enjoyed the novelty of seeing Sons playing QP at the national stadium a few times, but I'd imagine that a smaller ground & crowd nearer the pitch would be better all round.

Sounds like a good move?

Obviously a lot of history & emotional ties with Hampden of course.

 

 

It is, aye. However, there's i's to be dotted and t's crossed. Virtually impossible to have the stadium ready for 2020 when the lease runs out. Also a question of whether the SFA want a building site on their doorstep when the Euros start. 

The sensible scenario would be to allow an extension to remain at Hampden into 2020/21, which would quite clearly benefit both parties. No building site, the use of Lesser for events at the Euros and QP playing on home soil. 

The SFA have been an absolute disgrace throughout the process, so I fully expect a building site during the Euros and us to be playing at Airdrie while Hampden lies empty during the building work.

This is one of the reasons it's crucial to stay in the League. I think we lost a few regulars when we spent a year at Airdrie for the Commonwealth Games. I shudder to think what a year away from home in the Lowland League would do to us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, an86 said:

It is, aye. However, there's i's to be dotted and t's crossed. Virtually impossible to have the stadium ready for 2020 when the lease runs out. Also a question of whether the SFA want a building site on their doorstep when the Euros start. 

The sensible scenario would be to allow an extension to remain at Hampden into 2020/21, which would quite clearly benefit both parties. No building site, the use of Lesser for events at the Euros and QP playing on home soil. 

The SFA have been an absolute disgrace throughout the process, so I fully expect a building site during the Euros and us to be playing at Airdrie while Hampden lies empty during the building work.

This is one of the reasons it's crucial to stay in the League. I think we lost a few regulars when we spent a year at Airdrie for the Commonwealth Games. I shudder to think what a year away from home in the Lowland League would do to us. 

Aye, extending your stay at Hampden would seem sensible regarding the SFA tits. I recall us playing at Cliftonhill *shudder* between leaving Boghead and moving to The Rock, think we won 1 match in about 4 months.

Sounds like a good move for QP when it actually happens though & might entice a few more fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Aye, extending your stay at Hampden would seem sensible regarding the SFA tits. I recall us playing at Cliftonhill *shudder* between leaving Boghead and moving to The Rock, think we won 1 match in about 4 months.

Sounds like a good move for QP when it actually happens though & might entice a few more fans.

It's sink or swim time for us. The club, as we know it, is not sustainable in its current form given the changes that are coming. If we don't adapt, we'll be in serious trouble.

I realise my posts have a sense of doom, but these next couple of years are crucial as to what Queen's Park FC is going to look like in the longer term. If we stay in the league and get it right, there's absolutely no reason why we can't build something. It's very much hold the breath time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, an86 said:

It's sink or swim time for us. The club, as we know it, is not sustainable in its current form given the changes that are coming. If we don't adapt, we'll be in serious trouble.

I realise my posts have a sense of doom, but these next couple of years are crucial as to what Queen's Park FC is going to look like in the longer term. If we stay in the league and get it right, there's absolutely no reason why we can't build something. It's very much hold the breath time. 

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sat down to watch the Junior Cup final yesterday to watch Largs Nicky Jamieson who is widely reported as joining us next season. I think they even said that in the commentary yesterday but as it is in Gaelic all I understood was Jamieson and Queen's Park! Anyway, in the first 5 minutes Jamieson failed to track his man at a corner and Auchinleck scored. Here's hoping that was a very rare lapse of concentration!

Edited by The man with no name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The man with no name said:

Sat down to watch the Junior Cup final yesterday to watch Largs Nicky Jamieson who is widely reported as joining us next season. I think they even said that in the commentary yesterday but as it is in Gaelic all I understood was Jamieson and Queen's Park! Anyway, in the first 5 minutes Jamieson failed to track his man at a corner and Auchinleck scored. Here's hoping that was a very rare lapse of concentration!

He'll be quite at home then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Throwing a couple of possibilities out there. The need for experience is quite obvious. A couple of ex players with bags of it are available in Jamie Longworth and Mark Ferry. Neither with particularly high stock at the moment. Longworth struggling for starts at EK last season and Ferry not getting much of a kick at Stenny. 

Obviously, we couldn't possibly expect them to hit the heights of their previous spells, but they know the club, have bags of experience and we know they have the right attitude. Absolutely no risk involved. Would hope we'd at least ask the question of both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, an86 said:

Throwing a couple of possibilities out there. The need for experience is quite obvious. A couple of ex players with bags of it are available in Jamie Longworth and Mark Ferry. Neither with particularly high stock at the moment. Longworth struggling for starts at EK last season and Ferry not getting much of a kick at Stenny. 

Obviously, we couldn't possibly expect them to hit the heights of their previous spells, but they know the club, have bags of experience and we know they have the right attitude. Absolutely no risk involved. Would hope we'd at least ask the question of both. 

Mark Ferry captained the Warriors last season and featured in more than 30 games.

He'll do a fine job sitting in front of the back four and keeping things ticking over - he rarely wastes a pass - but he's pretty immobile and would most definitely need legs in alongside him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Mark Ferry captained the Warriors last season and featured in more than 30 games.

He'll do a fine job sitting in front of the back four and keeping things ticking over - he rarely wastes a pass - but he's pretty immobile and would most definitely need legs in alongside him.

I got my information from Wikipedia. That'll teach me! Also turns out that I was reading stats from the wrong season as well. In that case, it'd be even better if we could get him in. We need some guys who know the level because I suspect it could be a bit of a struggle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched EK 3 times last season, Longwortj played a full 90 minutes in 2 of them and was subbed with 10-15 minutes to go in the last one, and my honest opinion is that he is a shadow of the player who was able to play at this level a few years back.

I was a big fan of his when he was at Queens but he didn’t appear to be that guy anymore.

Surprised that Stenny released Ferry. I didn’t managed to get along to Ochilview last season (travelled a bit more with my Stirling free Saturday’s) however I thought he looked good for them the season previous, and played the ‘battler in the middle of the park’ role well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jamie Longworth is gubbed. He was mediocre during his season at Stenhousemuir in 2017/18 and it wasn't a surprise to see him dropping into the Lowland League with East Kilbride at the end of the year. "A brilliant signing!" quipped the marks after he pitched up at K-Park but they obviously hadn't seen him over the last few seasons - slow, lacking in confidence and with a wild first touch.

He's supposed to be a smashing guy away from the park so I feel bad bodying him but he's miles off it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Longworth was never fast but his positional sense was outstanding and that gave him time on the ball. He didn't seem to roll on from what he did for us; I'd be taking a look at him anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Betfred... Hamilton away on Sat 13; Thistle at home on Tues 16; no game on Sat 20; Airdrie away on Wed 24; Clyde home on Sun 28.

Last one on a Sunday - TV???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I take it the Clyde fans have done a flit? 
Deported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Betfred... Hamilton away on Sat 13; Thistle at home on Tues 16; no game on Sat 20; Airdrie away on Wed 24; Clyde home on Sun 28.

Last one on a Sunday - TV???

Apparently we're playing our home games at Airdrie and Airdrie are at home on the Saturday.

Just when I thought the group couldn't be less appealing.  3 games at Airdrie.

Edited by Chester Desmond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Apparently we're playing our home games at Airdrie and Airdrie are at home on the Saturday.
Just when I thought the group couldn't be less appealing.  3 games at Airdrie.
Away tae feck! Airdrie????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hampden Diehard said:
5 minutes ago, Chester Desmond said:
Apparently we're playing our home games at Airdrie and Airdrie are at home on the Saturday.
Just when I thought the group couldn't be less appealing.  3 games at Airdrie.

Away tae feck! Airdrie????

https://spfl.co.uk/news/betfred-cup-group-stage-fixtures-45802

* Queen's Park are playing their home games at the Penny Cars Stadium, Airdrie, because of pitch works at Hampden Park

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...