The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

12 hours ago, Brechin City FC said:

It was one win against the other worst team in the league by all accounts.  I don't see why we had to kneejerk into an appointment so quickly - could we not have waited until after this weekend to see how we get on?

Sorry but up till last Saturday we were by far the worst team in the league so that argument fails at the first sentence. 

19 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A 3 year deal for a guy who has been in charge of one single game is wild. Paton was one of the most unmotivated, lazy b*****ds I’ve had the displeasure of watching play for us so god knows how he will fare as a gaffer. I hope for Brechin’s sake he turns out good.

George Graham had a reputation for being economical with the effort as a player, not to mention being a bit bolshy - turned out completely different as a manager, strict disciplanarian.

I don't think anybody's expecting City to feature in this season's promotion play offs, "all" they have to do is finish ninth, everyone with City's best interests at heart would take that this season in the hope of further progress next season, no?

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't think anybody's expecting City to feature in this season's promotion play offs, "all" they have to do is finish ninth, everyone with City's best interests at heart would take that this season in the hope of further progress next season, no?

I tend to disagree. I think this season should be about trying to get as far away from that trapdoor as possible. 

25 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I tend to disagree. I think this season should be about trying to get as far away from that trapdoor as possible. 

I'm not saying City should aim for ninth - obviously the further from the bottom the better - but after the last few seasons, ninth would do, then get going upwards.

28 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm not saying City should aim for ninth - obviously the further from the bottom the better - but after the last few seasons, ninth would do, then get going upwards.

I think the get going upwards part has already been addressed in managing to win a league game and get off the foot of the table. 😉

That winning mentality can't be allowed to stop and  with the positivity within the club itself just now I don't think it will be allowed to stop. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Should've seen from our example that it's maybe not a great move to hire a manager after one interim game.

Bring ing on another striker the one that's on hasnt had any service for 69 mins very poor back to the bottom we go

Should've seen from our example that it's maybe not a great move to hire a manager after one interim game.

... against the second worst team in the league (who have annoyingly just scored two very late goals to beat Annan)

44 minutes ago, MonTheHedge said:

Well done to the board, 3 years of this

Away min. Obvious changes to be made but nothing can be done till January.  Just have to try and make the best of this squad at the moment. There are  obviously  some good players there but too many passengers not up for the fight .  First half we were right in it up to the sending off . Second half , everyone just lost belief . 

17 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Is it possible that Michael might just have shown the leadership qualities , preparation and organisational skills that have been missing for the past 3 years ?

Sometimes these people do come along and surprise everyone. This could turn out to be one of those times. 

I seem to remember similar comments being made about Michael O'Neill. 😉

Maybe he has, but would it not have been prudent to at least give it a couple of weeks to see if that really was the case? 

Similar comments may have been said about Michael O'Neill but we were in a far stronger position then than we were now.  O'Neill took about 6-8 months to get going, we don't have that luxury any more.

I'm not saying Paton isn't going to turn out to be a good appointment, just that it's impossible to tell after one game.  Going by today's performance I'd say not much has changed.  Even prior to the red card we created next to nothing and the defence still looked awful.

8 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Sorry but up till last Saturday we were by far the worst team in the league so that argument fails at the first sentence. 

If you read the post you would have noticed I said 'other' worst team in the league.  We can't play ourselves unfortunately.

12 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Away min. Obvious changes to be made but nothing can be done till January.  Just have to try and make the best of this squad at the moment. There are  obviously  some good players there but too many passengers not up for the fight .  First half we were right in it up to the sending off . Second half , everyone just lost belief . 

If nothing can be done until January why kneejerk into appointing a manager after one game?  it's not like Paton was going anywhere else if he didn't get the job, he was under contract to us as a player!

So which miracle working experienced manager do we think was going turn a sows lug into a silk purse in two games

Not any available managers tbf, but the decision to give a 3 year deal is one that rules out a number of options for a considerable period of time.
I don't think it's the appointment that's pissed most folk off considering where we are and the options available, it's the 'all-in' length of contract given. There's been quite a lot written on this thread recently highlighting how sacking managers can be expensive and leave us up shit creek if things go tits up, and then we go and do this. Today's pumping has he thinking 'meh' out of apathy, but just this committee decision has made me pretty angry tbh.