Jump to content

The Brechin City Thread


Hedgecutter

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Long day, home about 9 pmish?

It's not that far, under 2 hours away. I'd imagine bus will be back about 7pm and only left early so folk could get a good few pints in and enjoy their day out.

If I go i'll be driving up, although looks like it'd be by myself at the minute

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Highland League doesn't have a decent website because for nearly twenty years a procession of interested amateurs and club enthusiasts have done most of their work for them for free. 
Even though the league (and several cup competitions) have been sponsored by local papers, getting the correct information about games is a nightmare, with myself having to correct the entire press corp about Mitch Megginson's goal tally one season, and then again with the top scorers in the 2019/20 season. 
The post-season books about the league are a valuable source of details, but the SHFL itself remains uninterested. 
In the olden days when I played for the Vale, we used to look forward to the green final on a Saturday night. It was decent for the highland league.
Not sure if any Saturday night sporting papers have survived.
Sporting Post in Dundee long gone.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, superbigal said:

In the olden days when I played for the Vale, we used to look forward to the green final on a Saturday night. It was decent for the highland league.
Not sure if any Saturday night sporting papers have survived.
Sporting Post in Dundee long gone.

The Green Final was a great read, used to get quite annoyed if I missed it.

Don't know if any of them are left, every major town had their own Saturday evening football paper.

Ireland's Saturday Night* was quite good, haven't seen it in years, not that I've gone looking for it.

*ETA: Stopped publication in 2008, it appears. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland's_Saturday_Night

Edited by Jacksgranda
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, a_n_d_o said:

It's not that far, under 2 hours away. I'd imagine bus will be back about 7pm and only left early so folk could get a good few pints in and enjoy their day out.

If I go i'll be driving up, although looks like it'd be by myself at the minute

Aye the Aberdeen bypass will get you from Brechin to Dyce in no time. Would you go the Oldmeldrum>Turiff>Banff road after that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye the Aberdeen bypass will get you from Brechin to Dyce in no time. Would you go the Oldmeldrum>Turiff>Banff road after that?

Sounds about right, would keep me away from Inverurie (my work colleagues always say nightmare for traffic there on a Saturday). Queue getting stuck behind a tractor...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, a_n_d_o said:

Sounds about right, would keep me away from Inverurie (my work colleagues always say nightmare for traffic there on a Saturday). Queue getting stuck behind a tractor...

Aye the back roads would be fairly quiet.  It's pretty rural there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Long day, home about 9 pmish?

I can get from Brechin to Newmachar in about an hour in my works van up the new bypass. It's about 35 miles from there to Banff so 2 hours  total is reasonable. 

Most of our journeys this season  are 2- to 2and a half hours max . Obviously Wick , Brora , Clach and Nairn are a bit longer and might require overnight stays ( to take full advantage of the hospitality ) but Inverurie and Formartine will be shorter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The dual carriageway runs out a mile or three short of Harlaw Park, irritatingly. 

The distances aren't that bad barring a couple of games, but after however many years of making use of things like motorways, the A947 to Banff and Turriff and the routes to Grantown and Fort might come as a bit of a surprise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I can get from Brechin to Newmachar in about an hour in my works van up the new bypass. It's about 35 miles from there to Banff so 2 hours  total is reasonable. 

Most of our journeys this season  are 2- to 2and a half hours max . Obviously Wick , Brora , Clach and Nairn are a bit longer and might require overnight stays ( to take full advantage of the hospitality ) but Inverurie and Formartine will be shorter. 

Apart from clubs on the Inverness - Aberdeen train route (there are quite a few), I usually drive and stop overnight. The football's just an excuse to drink in another pub really. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/08/2021 at 15:43, Jimmy Shaker said:

The Press and Journal is by far the best printed source on a Monday, and in midweek, but their midweek output can occasionally be nowt but bits ripped from Twitter and reassembled into a report. They're still trying to work out how to monetise their involvement, and how to maintain an interest without Cove, but seem to be giving it a good go again this season.

So much for that. The Monday edition of the Press and Journal doesn't appear to have come with a league table or top scorers list. Michty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

So much for that. The Monday edition of the Press and Journal doesn't appear to have come with a league table or top scorers list. Michty. 

This is Wednesday. Does it take two days for the Monday papers to reach Lossie?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

This is Wednesday. Does it take two days for the Monday papers to reach Lossie?

1 - f**k knows, I live in Inverurie.

2 - I buy it on Monday and read it later in the week to find the errors once I've gotten everything done elsewhere myself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

1 - f**k knows, I live in Inverurie.

2 - I buy it on Monday and read it later in the week to find the errors once I've gotten everything done elsewhere myself. 

:lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...