The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

How’s Davo looking?

Just settling in . Looking fairly comfortable without being a stand out.  

Saying that , he seems to be marshalling everything around about him as Paton is doing with the midfield and Wood is doing up front. Quite a solid spine to the team . 

51 minutes ago, kevsmart said:

Noticed this morning that finally the Official Highland League website has finally realised that Turriff only scored once last week.

The official Highland League website needs a boot in the arse. You'll get all the goalscorers, tables, stats on Fitbanorth.com, usually from Saturday evening, but it depends on how much of a weekend I've had.

The Highland League doesn't have a decent website because for nearly twenty years a procession of interested amateurs and club enthusiasts have done most of their work for them for free. 

Even though the league (and several cup competitions) have been sponsored by local papers, getting the correct information about games is a nightmare, with myself having to correct the entire press corp about Mitch Megginson's goal tally one season, and then again with the top scorers in the 2019/20 season. 

The post-season books about the league are a valuable source of details, but the SHFL itself remains uninterested. 

The Highland League doesn't have a decent website because for nearly twenty years a procession of interested amateurs and club enthusiasts have done most of their work for them for free. 
Even though the league (and several cup competitions) have been sponsored by local papers, getting the correct information about games is a nightmare, with myself having to correct the entire press corp about Mitch Megginson's goal tally one season, and then again with the top scorers in the 2019/20 season. 
The post-season books about the league are a valuable source of details, but the SHFL itself remains uninterested. 

That’s crazy really. So what’s the best source of information for results and scorers then on a matchday?

1 hour ago, gm_1982 said:

That’s crazy really. So what’s the best source of information for results and scorers then on a matchday?

Fitbanorth.com is the best outlet on a Saturday. There's postponement updates in the morning, and a match updates thread which is filled in with dazzling accuracy and lightning efficiency if I'm near a computer, or with bare bones accuracy if I'm not at a Lossie game, but the rest of the posters fill it in if the mods are busy. It's usually completed come Saturday evening, along with updated league tables, scorers tables, and other relevant bits unless I'm on the pop somewhere, in which it'll be done Sunday some time. There's a match thread for every game to cover pre- and post-match whining. 

The league site aims to have scores and the table up by 1715hrs every week but... well.

Alternatively, there's Twitter (which most clubs are vaguely handy at), and Facebook, which is more miss than hit. Too many clubs still refer to players by matey nicknames so the outsider has no idea who has scored, or post meaningless pap like 'Goal 1-0' and not saying who scored for whom, or stop updating when the beating gets too heavy. 

Of the 17 clubs outside of Brechin, the ones with actual functioning websites are Wick, Huntly, Nairn, Vale, Rothes, Fraserburgh, Turriff (I think), Buckie (kind of), Brora (kind of). The rest, pth. Good luck finding out anything about them. 

There is also HFLhub.co.uk, which occasionally has scorers added come Saturday evening. 

The Press and Journal is by far the best printed source on a Monday, and in midweek, but their midweek output can occasionally be nowt but bits ripped from Twitter and reassembled into a report. They're still trying to work out how to monetise their involvement, and how to maintain an interest without Cove, but seem to be giving it a good go again this season.

Edited by Jimmy Shaker

25 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

How easy will it be to get into your game at Deveronvale if I were to make the journey? 

Quite easy I would imagine but someone from Deveronvale will know better. Supporters bus going from Brechin

1 hour ago, Cold Feet said:

Quite easy I would imagine but someone from Deveronvale will know better. Supporters bus going from Brechin

That's good.

What time is it leaving at, just as a matter of interest.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Long day, home about 9 pmish?

It's not that far, under 2 hours away. I'd imagine bus will be back about 7pm and only left early so folk could get a good few pints in and enjoy their day out.

If I go i'll be driving up, although looks like it'd be by myself at the minute

In the olden days when I played for the Vale, we used to look forward to the green final on a Saturday night. It was decent for the highland league.
Not sure if any Saturday night sporting papers have survived.
Sporting Post in Dundee long gone.