The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

10 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Always felt it was a wee bit of an anomaly that Angus, with less than 100,000 people had four league clubs.

It's not even relevant anymore

For instance Stirling has a bigger population than Perth

It's just about how much cash your owner has and how much they're willing to put into the club

Well done Kelty.  Hope you spend wisely . You will need it.

I was going to have a rant about how we were battling the system today and all the negatives we were hearing coming from the BBC's  so called experts .  But nah. 

Our demise wasnt based on these two games unfortunately .  The guys gave their all today but basically the quality obviously  wasn't there. 

Well we can’t say this ain’t been coming no complaints it is a deserved relegation.Massive changes needed at our club top to bottom be interesting to see who we can recruit for next season. Anyone else think patons managerial career is over before it started, getting a club relegated in your first job can’t look good on the CV....

6 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

They weren’t in the Scottish League for 114 years

He literally just googled Brechin City and looked at the date of formation... FFS, there's a section labelled 'Joining the League'.

And that wasn't even what got me mad initially, it was the bringing up of the fucking Lowland League again. I forget being a sports journalist in Scotland just means not paying attention to anything and just saying what you think should happen.

It's not even relevant anymore
For instance Stirling has a bigger population than Perth
It's just about how much cash your owner has and how much they're willing to put into the club

No it doesn’t

Perth is about 10,000 more than Stirling, they’re also the only team in the area where as you’ve got several clubs around you to dilute the fan base of neighbouring towns and villages.

11 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

It’s certainly better than 0.5 which is wrong and yes it was done by the L2 clubs to try and pull up the trapdoor. Personally I don’t think 9th or 11th in Prem deserve a play off spot and it should be 2 down in each League but I get your point about Regional Leagues.

No it wasn’t done by L2 clubs - the SFA proposed it when it worked to create the Lowland League and the pyramid.  L2 clubs weren’t consulted on the details 

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

The architects of that self-preservation were the likes of Berwick and Brechin who have had to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the league with all sorts of antics and blubbering about the injustice of it all on the way.

I disagree that the champions of a regional league deserve promotion to the national professional setup. Make it 1.5 spots and have them play-off for promotion and then the loser against 9th. 

That is exactly what it should be. Provides more opportunities for strong sides in the HL/LL to get promoted, however both play-off stages would still provide quality control to ensure no weaker winners of one of the HL/LL go up.

On the face of it clubs obviously wouldn't want it, but there may be an increasing number who are getting twitchy knowing that one bad summer of recruitment and they could be down with very little chance of ever getting back up. Although it would increase the chances of them being relegated they may feel the increased movement up and down between the leagues may be a saviour for them in the future.

23 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Always felt it was a wee bit of an anomaly that Angus, with less than 100,000 people had four league clubs.

However, Fife now having five hardly improves the geographic scope.

For many years, Brechin were the strongest of the four Angus clubs - well ahead of Montrose, who were half an hour from suffering the same fate three years back. Just shows how things can turn, and it will be so difficult to get back, particularly with all the former junior clubs joining the “pyramid”, which surely will be expanded to allow more fluidity in years to come (it’s in current league clubs’ interest to vote for that surely as they could be next).

The saddest thing for a place like Brechin is that in many ways, having a league side puts your town on the map - as at least James Alexander Gordon or the likes is reading your name out once a week - and you’re appearing on fixed odds coupons etc

Why? Nobody thinks of themselves as being from a council area. 4 individual towns. The Angus shit is annoying. We’re close but so are plenty of other clubs. 

31 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Unless they’re moving Glebe Park to south of the Tay they need to go to the Highland League. Brechin will just have to change how they recruit players and on the last few years the current model is hardly a rousing success.

Hopefully we'll end up developing players in the local region a lot more.  Must admit that I've always found it a bit odd (one might even say 'empty') to be supporting a team full of Central Belters who'd possibly never venture into Tayside if it wasn't to play at Glebe Park once a fortnight.  That's an argument best placed in a separate thread though.

The current geographical division shows that the current squad would be a HL side made up entirely of LL area players, which doesn't really sit right imo.  Others will disagree of course, but it all depends on what you see the purpose of a local club to be. 

The club is definitely at a cross-roads here and I've already mentioned in the HL forum the issues where Brechin will need to decide on whether they want to focus on the 'Tayside' or 'Grampian' areas in terms of recruitment.  Logistically, they can't have the best of both worlds.

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Issue is that it'll almost certainly be a completely different squad for logistical reasons.

Oh well, it's been a blast.  Not been bad for a glorified village team, eh.

Yea. Oh, wait a minute, Kelty really IS a village team...

54 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

When you had Mark Wilson as a manager you know the game is up.

Then appointing a striker he brought in on a 3 year deal....Baffling decision that.

Sorry to see you guys go (from a Berwick fan who has suffered the same fate). I’ve had some good afternoon’s out at the Glebe and it was always a pleasant ground to visit.
Realistically anyone in that bottom division is one poor season from suffering the same fate now. There is no margin for error now.
What now for City? Am I right in saying your manager is contracted for a further two seasons and I wouldn’t have thought many players from the central belt will fancy the Highland League.
Would it be not more viable at looking at getting in a manager who knows the Highland League scene and the players in the catchment area?

Hopefully we'll end up developing players in the local region a lot more.  Must admit that I've always found it a bit odd (one might even say 'empty') to be supporting a team full of Central Belters who'd possibly never venture into Tayside if it wasn't to play at Glebe Park once a fortnight.  That's an argument best placed in a separate thread though.
The current geographical division shows that the current squad would be a HL side made up entirely of LL area players, which doesn't really sit right imo.  Others will disagree of course, but it all depends on what you see the purpose of a local club to be. 
The club is definitely at a cross-roads here and I've already mentioned in the HL forum the issues where Brechin will need to decide on whether they want to focus on the 'Tayside' or 'Grampian' areas in terms of recruitment.  Logistically, they can't have the best of both worlds.

Think there’s a few teams who move their training to Glasgow and Edinburgh to try and recruit central belt players as you say most of these players are just mercenaries and wouldn’t come to the town otherwise. Always nice to have a few local lads in the team. Hopefully you get a new model to bring in players from around your area and I guess Dundee / Aberdeen. Won’t be easy to recover but you were in Tier 2 recently as were Cowdenbeath so the potential is there. Best of luck to you guys next season at worst you’ll get some good away days and play some new teams and if you’re good enough you’ll make your way back up. Never been to Glebe so I hope we play you in the future whether it’s league or cup.

All the best to you guys, have a few drinks tonight and drown your sorrows. I certainly did after you deservedly relegated us a few seasons back.