The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

I don't recall any of the three non-league outfits clamouring for that change while they were in the tent pissing out of it, so why should it be changed on their account now?
Clubs might decide that it's in their rational, long-term interest to open things up but that's an entirely different reason to do so than trying to help clubs who tried to keep it bolted shut altogether. 

Doesn’t matter if it helps them or not League Champions should be promoted at every level if they meet the criteria the 0.5 relegation bottleneck is a bigger joke than the Self Preservation League with its 1 relegation spot a few years back.

Quite a decline. Was just up there in 2018 watching us trying to win the championship. Thought Brechin were a well run part time club who although were punching above their weight in the second tier they would be a comfy third tier side for the foreseeable.
Three years later, bam they’re non league.
The set up means once these teams go down it’s hard for them to come back up. I hope they do regroup and somehow win the highland league though, would be a pity for Glebe Park to be lost to the senior set up.

Always felt it was a wee bit of an anomaly that Angus, with less than 100,000 people had four league clubs.

However, Fife now having five hardly improves the geographic scope.

For many years, Brechin were the strongest of the four Angus clubs - well ahead of Montrose, who were half an hour from suffering the same fate three years back. Just shows how things can turn, and it will be so difficult to get back, particularly with all the former junior clubs joining the “pyramid”, which surely will be expanded to allow more fluidity in years to come (it’s in current league clubs’ interest to vote for that surely as they could be next).

The saddest thing for a place like Brechin is that in many ways, having a league side puts your town on the map - as at least James Alexander Gordon or the likes is reading your name out once a week - and you’re appearing on fixed odds coupons etc

8 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Oh Jim.

Alongside his support of the Alba party this really does show him up for the cupid stunt that he really is. 

25 minutes ago, Binos said:

For you, I dug the original out. It was taken at 4.51pm on the 19th January 2019.

I travelled up really early, had a wander and then watched Auchinleck Talbot beat Ayr at lunchtime in a pub. After the game I stayed in a B&B and the next day took a bit of a drive, visiting places I've never been before like Dunnet Head, Strathnaver and, the highlight, Forsinaird, before heading down the road. Now that's got to be better than Albion Rovers away.

IMG_20190120_113406036.jpg

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

Quite a decline. Was just up there in 2018 watching us trying to win the championship. Thought Brechin were a well run part time club who although were punching above their weight in the second tier they would be a comfy third tier side for the foreseeable.
The set up means once these teams go down it’s hard for them to come back up. I hope they do regroup and somehow win the highland league though, would be a pity for Glebe Park to be lost to the senior set up.

Lex,the SHFL is in the senior set up......

Always felt it was a wee bit of an anomaly that Angus, with less than 100,000 people had four league clubs.

You’re not wrong but Fife has a slightly bigger population than Angus with over 370,000 people, i suspect it won’t have 5 clubs for long and at least one will drop down probably Cowdenbeath or Kelty.

6 minutes ago, Lex said:

It isn't...

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

For you, I dug the original out. It was taken at 4.51pm on the 19th January 2019.

I travelled up really early, had a wander and then watched Auchinleck Talbot beat Ayr at lunchtime in a pub. After the game I stayed in a B&B and the next day took a bit of a drive, visiting places I've never been before like Dunnet Head, Strathnaver and, the highlight, Forsinaird, before heading down the road. Now that's got to be better than Albion Rovers away.

IMG_20190120_113406036.jpg

Might get a bit more shit off the wife by the time you get home though!!

14 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Doesn’t matter if it helps them or not League Champions should be promoted at every level if they meet the criteria the 0.5 relegation bottleneck is a bigger joke than the Self Preservation League with its 1 relegation spot a few years back.

The architects of that self-preservation were the likes of Berwick and Brechin who have had to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the league with all sorts of antics and blubbering about the injustice of it all on the way.

I disagree that the champions of a regional league deserve promotion to the national professional setup. Make it 1.5 spots and have them play-off for promotion and then the loser against 9th. 

Edited by vikingTON

8 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

For many years, Brechin were the strongest of the four Angus clubs - well ahead of Montrose, who were half an hour from suffering the same fate three years back. Just shows how things can turn, and it will be so difficult to get back, particularly with all the former junior clubs joining the “pyramid”, which surely will be expanded to allow more fluidity in years to come (it’s in current league clubs’ interest to vote for that surely as they could be next).

The saddest thing for a place like Brechin is that in many ways, having a league side puts your town on the map - as at least James Alexander Gordon or the likes is reading your name out once a week - and you’re appearing on fixed odds coupons etc

Disagree entirely, even though Fife has a popolution of just under 500k. Not a good analogy. 

The architects of that self-preservation were the likes of Berwick and Brechin who have had to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the league with all sorts of antics and blubbering about the injustice of it all on the way.
I disagree that the champions of a regional league deserve promotion to the national professional setup. Make it 1.5 leagues and have them play-off for promotion and the loser against 9th. 

It’s certainly better than 0.5 which is wrong and yes it was done by the L2 clubs to try and pull up the trapdoor. Personally I don’t think 9th or 11th in Prem deserve a play off spot and it should be 2 down in each League but I get your point about Regional Leagues.