The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

All the talk of integrity seems to be about Brora playing 3 games. I assume if Brora were to step aside Brechin supporters would be happy to play the playoff against Kelty? 

If club 42 is allowed to question every decision at tier 5 there will never be a playoff. If one Highland League club plays a match then goes bust does that invalidate the entire season in tier 5? You know one club would claim it did. 

BOTH LIVI & RANGERS 2012 NEW CO SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUT IN THE LOWEST TIER AS A COMPLETELY NEW CLUB & NOT PARCHUTED LIKE LIVI INTO TEIR 4. BUT THEN SFA/SFL/SPFL NEVER DO THINGS THE PROPER WAY ! IS THE LOSS OF LEAGUE VOTING RIGHTS AFTER MULTIPLE BOTTOM FINISHES IN TIER 4 STILL ON THE SPFL LAW BOOKS ?

All the talk of integrity seems to be about Brora playing 3 games. I assume if Brora were to step aside Brechin supporters would be happy to play the playoff against Kelty? 

Brechin supporters are happy to play whoever in a playoff and have accepted this. The letter and statement released by the club last week did not represent the opinion of the supporters, or in fact some of the BCFC committee I’m told.

We’ve been dreadful for two years in this league regardless of the number matches played so if we have to play a playoff, then so be it. We’ve had ample opportunity to sort things out but dreadful decisions and recruitment has cost us time and time again.

Brechin supporters are happy to play whoever in a playoff and have accepted this. The letter and statement released by the club last week did not represent the opinion of the supporters, or in fact some of the BCFC committee I’m told.

We’ve been dreadful for two years in this league regardless of the number matches played so if we have to play a playoff, then so be it. We’ve had ample opportunity to sort things out but dreadful decisions and recruitment has cost us time and time again.
I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make, if any, but did the Brechin supporters club contact fans to get their opinions and then pass this on to the club?

6 hours ago, MAC THE KNIFE said:

BOTH LIVI & RANGERS 2012 NEW CO SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUT IN THE LOWEST TIER AS A COMPLETELY NEW CLUB & NOT PARCHUTED LIKE LIVI INTO TEIR 4. BUT THEN SFA/SFL/SPFL NEVER DO THINGS THE PROPER WAY ! IS THE LOSS OF LEAGUE VOTING RIGHTS AFTER MULTIPLE BOTTOM FINISHES IN TIER 4 STILL ON THE SPFL LAW BOOKS ?

They were placed in the lowest tier, as there was no pyramid in those days.

10 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

What single club  are you referring to? There have been many complaints against the system over the last two seasons by many clubs. 

That's why I stated any single club. 

17 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I assumed it was when they had their second financial unpleasantness and got papped down to tier 4.

Aye they were, deservedly, punted down to the bottom league that time.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Neither were 'placed' anywhere. Both had to apply for the vacant league spot.

Neither of them applied for a vacant league spot. Livingston never left the SFL and were simply demoted. Rangers were elected into the SFL without any application process.

Donald Findlay was the chairman of Cowdenbeath when they won back-to-back League 2 play-offs against East Kilbride and Cove Rangers. His club "took their medicine", as it were, but won on both occasions.

What on earth are you talking about? As Francesc says, Cowden  have twice in recent seasons faced dropping out of the SPFL on two occasions   involving two match playoffs against East Kilbride (which finished in a penalty shoot out) and against Cove ( who threw their toys out of the pram when they finished up as losers with eight men). The Blue Brazil have also won other playoffs over the recent seasons - Hamilton 1  Cowdenbeath 3  and  Dunfermline 0  Cowdenbeath 3  spring to mind. Donald Findlay was right last year when he indicated that Hearts Covid relegation was indeed unfortunate and unfair but not lllegal.  The Brechin  approach may be crass but should be properly examined. The HL authorities in particular need to justify their decision.
Oh and Donald was born in Cowdenbeath

Fair points. Not accurate for me to say “he has enjoyed a relegation-less league” when they’ve been in two relegation play-offs. What bothers me though is that he’s questioned sporting integrity and the treatment of Brechin here - he’s got it all wrong. Brechin are the ones who are in the wrong and I think it’s really poor that Donald is defending them. If it’s a question of sporting integrity then he should really be questioning Brechin’s antics like the rest of us are. What makes it worse is that Brechin aren’t even guaranteed relegation (which they should be, and anyone else who finishes bottom from now on IMO) but they have a second chance which is geared in their favour - they might not even go down. The whole saga has been a needless shambles. Still no decision made about what’s going to happen and it’s ridiculous in the first place that a decision had to be even made, they straight up should have told the Brechin board to STFU and play the games.

59 minutes ago, B.C.F.C. - ANGUS No 1 said:

"Famous hedge or not, Brechin have no divine right to stay in senior football."

Turning junior, are they?

2 hours ago, Aidan said:
2 hours ago, gm_1982 said:

I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make, if any, but did the Brechin supporters club contact fans to get their opinions and then pass this on to the club?

I emailed the chairman before the statement was released, didn't have an isue with them asking legitimate questions (however long shots they were) but my main concern was rumours of proposed reconstruction inlcuding future inclusion for the colts (no mention of this in the statement). This issue was raised a few years ago at an AGM where it was pretty much unanimously voted down, so to even contemplate allowing the door to be opened for reserve sides without consulting the supporters (season ticket holders are also effectively the shareholders) is entirely unacceptable. Not had a reply yet...

9 hours ago, MAC THE KNIFE said:

Always find it funny when numpties say that Rangers/Sevco should've gone into the Lowland League, forgetting of course that it didn't exist in 2012.

3 minutes ago, andrew21 said:

Even after that the Lowland league wasn't part of a pyramid for the first couple of seasons, mainly because the pyramid didn't actually exist. 

Err no, only in the inaugural season of 13/14 was there no play-off, after that the LL was connected to the SPFL above and EOS/SOS below.

Edited by Ginaro