The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

19 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Last year when this was all going on did Brechin want to go the Lowland league if they got put out?

They did.

A vote was required at the Lowland AGM to change the rules in order to allow this. Safe to say it didn’t pass after what transpired.

Dead in the water now with the incoming Midland League at Tier 6 underneath the HL anyway.

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

The worst kind of shite from Reid. Follows on from his sulking earlier in the season about the prospect of having to get up early to get to Brora.

He is a mouthpiece who really talks nothing but absolute drivel

6 hours ago, Marten said:

If we get promoted next season I'd be looking forward to Brechin v Lochee United. :) 

Was gonna say I'm looking forward to Brechin City vs Downfield, but we've just appointed Lewis Toshney, so I'll get back to you on that in a few years. 😆

9 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

Wont Brechin have the choice of Lowland league?

Some clubs that are currently in Scottish league two have to realise they are sitting way above their level at the moment.

I'm sure all clubs in the lower leagues realise where they stand. The issue is finance. If you don't have a Sugar Daddy then it's down to who is the worst. Clubs in league 2 with small fan bases don't need to be told where their level is. So in summary, yes they realise.

1 hour ago, Sparticus said:

Some clubs that are currently in Scottish league two have to realise they are sitting way above their level at the moment.

No.

There is a line of latitude specified and they are North of it.

51 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Is there any indication when the proposal made to the SPFL will get accepted or rejected? Will all clubs get a vote?

The HL/LL first leg was meant to be this weekend and the season ends in less than 2 weeks so I'm thinking imminently for the decision.

It is a SPFL board decision, so clubs won’t have a say.

13 hours ago, Sparticus said:

12 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

No.

There is a line of latitude specified and they are North of it.

Are you replying to the first sentence, or the second sentence?

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo

Curious that the routes out of SPFL League Two for the clubs concerned, and where relegated teams might end up, still cause questions after seven years. 

Almost like no-one pays any attention to this until it's too late, because they think it won't ever affect them. Which would explain explain the hole Brechin find themselves in, at least. 

2 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the spfl decided to accept both Kelty and Brora, extending spfl2 for next season only - just to use the no relegation situation, thus avoiding possible legal actions etc. Just hoping next season goes properly,giving the spfl board time to get organised.

Agree although would they be coming in as full spfl member clubs?, and by inviting both clubs to join and leaving Brechin in L2 no one is likely to legally challenge the legitimacy of either club as champion. If that happens would be interesting to see how they propose to get back to the normal number of clubs next season. Ie would it be 2 automatically down with no possible promotion from the LL/HL, or 2 down and 3rd bottom goes into the usual pyramid playoff with the LL/HL winner. And any proposal like that runs the risk that those 2 or possibly 3 clubs who go down next season may not include Kelty or Brora and be 3 current established SPFL clubs.

Edited by morley

34 minutes ago, morley said:

Agree, and by inviting both clubs to join and leaving Brechin in L2 no one is likely to legally challenge the legitimacy of either club as champion.

Can also see "will also give the smallest SPFL clubs more fixtures and associated gate money to recoup some losses from 2020/21 and soften the recent financial blow" spin to such a situation.

Unless it turns into a 22 game season of course, in which case it'll be "we don't want to potentially overstretch ourselves if there's another lockdown".

You would need to change the prize money on offer in league 2 to accommodate two new clubs. Currently 10th in league 2 receives 40k. That would cause the most issues, I would think.

Increasing the size of league 2 isn't a bad idea, imo, but it shouldn't just be done to save Brechin nor should it be rushed through. Giving there was no agreement on reconstruction last year then its difficult to see how it would get voted through this time. The Old Firm would no doubt won't their Colts involved too.

16 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

You would need to change the prize money on offer in league 2 to accommodate two new clubs. Currently 10th in league 2 receives 40k. That would cause the most issues, I would think.

Increasing the size of league 2 isn't a bad idea, imo, but it shouldn't just be done to save Brechin nor should it be rushed through. Giving there was no agreement on reconstruction last year then its difficult to see how it would get voted through this time. The Old Firm would no doubt won't their Colts involved too.

That is why I wonder if they may be invited in but not as full spfl members for season 1, so dont get the same prize money/voting rights. Then if the club remains in the spfl for season 2 they become full members. I don't believe the spfl would have to consult with the LL/HL/SFA to make a change like that. Someone cleverer than me may say that is already the case. Plus its less of an issue if the proposal is to only expand by 2 extra clubs for 1 season anyway.

Edited by morley