The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

8 hours ago, mo83 said:

We have signed a Brazilian from Rothes....Any info?

8 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

He was at Elgin before. Didn’t do a whole lot at Rothes, but the whole club didn’t really bother with the first half of the current season so it’s hard to say what you’re getting. 

Spent 2019-20 at ICT before heading off to Portugal, rumours of a fallout with Robertson about the Portuguese club approaching him or his family or whatever. Was quite popular with the fans due to his pace and looking very busy but only got 3 mins of league time in addition to appearances in Challenge Cup and NoS Cup.

55 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

How have Brechin fans found the Highland League experience so far? What's been better and worse than the SPFL leagues?

When we first went down there was a massive feeling of dread .   The club was in freefall and we just never knew what to expect.  Thankfully the new regime seem to have steadied  the ship and the rebuild is in full flow.   The supporters have really bought into it as they realise how important  a successful club can be to the community. I think the majority have really enjoyed it . Home crowds are up . New places  to visit , friendly folk (on the whole) and just an overall good experience and day out.  I can't recall any of the grounds or towns we've visited as being unpleasant or dreading going back to.  Some of the places are a bit quirky but most have a bit of character. 

One huge plus is only playing teams twice in a season. I think that could be the way forward for the lower leagues in the spfl  . Bigger leagues , less familiarity and less chance of getting bored or pissed off with certain places.  

Not many negatives other than having a few more extra games to get into the good rounds of the Scottish cup and having to finish in the top 2 to get into the league cup . 

Basically it has been a breath of fresh air and given us the chance to rebuild the whole club  . Thankfully the turnaround  has been almost instant thanks to some good recruitment in management and players. The winning feeling has returned and the fans are travelling in numbers again. The feelgood factor is evident all round the club and hopefully our return to the SPFL is not too far away. ................although there will be a touch of sadness if or when we do return. The Highland League has certainly been an enjoyable part of our club's history in my humble opinion at least. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

16 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

When we first went down there was a massive feeling of dread .   The club was in freefall and we just never knew what to expect.  Thankfully the new regime seem to have steadied  the ship and the rebuild is in full flow.   The supporters have really bought into it as they realise how important  a successful club can be to the community. I think the majority have really enjoyed it . Home crowds are up . New places  to visit , friendly folk (on the whole) and just an overall good experience and day out.  I can't recall any of the grounds or towns we've visited as being unpleasant or dreading going back to.  Some of the places are a bit quirky but most have a bit of character. 

One huge plus is only playing teams twice in a season. I think that could be the way forward for the lower leagues in the spfl  . Bigger leagues , less familiarity and less chance of getting bored or pissed off with certain places.  

Not many negatives other than having a few more extra games to get into the good rounds of the Scottish cup and having to finish in the top 2 to get into the league cup . 

Basically it has been a breath of fresh air and given us the chance to rebuild the whole club  . Thankfully the turnaround  has been almost instant thanks to some good recruitment in management and players. The winning feeling has returned and the fans are travelling in numbers again. The feelgood factor is evident all round the club and hopefully our return to the SPFL is not too far away. ................although there will be a touch of sadness if or when we do return. The Highland League has certainly been an enjoyable part of our club's history in my humble opinion at least. 

I agree with the points highlighted above. Whilst it has been very refreshing to see the team winning most weeks, some of the games have not been that competitive. From a financial viewpoint (and as highlighted in our recent AGM), we must get back into the SPFL as soon as possible. The traveling costs are enormous for a start! The new directors that have come onto the board are all experienced in their field and a welcome addition. Further investment will be required going forward as the club is keen on putting a plastic pitch down.  All in all the HL has been so far a very positive experience but we need to finish the job off and Buckie will no doubt have something to say about that.    

20 hours ago, Kev8122 said:

The traveling costs are enormous for a start!

I have my doubts about this with half the opposition being in or around Aberdeenshire. One trip a year to Wick won't break the bank.

Edited by welshbairn

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I have my doubts about this with half the opposition being in or around Aberdeenshire. One trip a year to Wick won't break the bank.

I think that was aimed at the club expenses . We still have some players from the central belt . The logistics are quite complex. 

Our supporters travel is on par with the spfl. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

59 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Parks bus is used, we generally get the same bus that Celtic or Rangers use as they have a kitchen, the players get fed on bus as getting to somewhere in time for a feed was, logistically not working out. There is also a caterer on board, which also has costs. It all adds up. Assume we were in SPFL most travelling would be done with players driving to games as mostly in central belt. You can see quite quickly how the traveling in the Highland league adds up.

We also, likely paying over the odds to get players to come to the Highland League, a bit of a hard sell with all that traveling, something that might not be so necessary when traveling is removed.

Whilst our support is up most of the HL clubs do not bring much support, if any. Again in SPFL there is generally a bus load or so.

You can quickly see how costs mount up or not as the case might be.

1 hour ago, Cold Feet said:

Parks bus is used, we generally get the same bus that Celtic or Rangers use as they have a kitchen, the players get fed on bus as getting to somewhere in time for a feed was, logistically not working out. There is also a caterer on board, which also has costs. It all adds up. Assume we were in SPFL most travelling would be done with players driving to games as mostly in central belt. You can see quite quickly how the traveling in the Highland league adds up.

We also, likely paying over the odds to get players to come to the Highland League, a bit of a hard sell with all that traveling, something that might not be so necessary when traveling is removed.

Whilst our support is up most of the HL clubs do not bring much support, if any. Again in SPFL there is generally a bus load or so.

You can quickly see how costs mount up or not as the case might be. 

I thought you had switched to recruiting more locally, if not I can see how costs would mount up. If you stay in the Highland League much longer you might need to cut down on the old firm style luxury coach with private chef though. :P  You're the only club in the league who feel the need to hire security guards too, thankfully when they searched my bag they didn't spot the hip flask in my jacket pocket. :lol:

Edited by welshbairn

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I thought you had switched to recruiting more locally, if not I can see how costs would mount up. If you stay in the Highland League much longer you might need to cut down on the old firm style luxury coach with private chef though. :P  You're the only club in the league who feel the need to hire security guards too, thankfully when they searched my bag they didn't spot the hip flask in my jacket pocket. :lol:

You seem to have a rather  blaaze and somewhat simplistic approach to how you think a club should be run . 

Putting it as simply as I can , if our club has any ambition at all of returning to the SPFL we need to hit the ground running. The reason our club landed in the Highland League was partly through a lack of forward planning and  thinking that things will somehow change for the better. We continued  changing managers , changing players and throwing good money after bad on a failing model . Thankfully the new regime realised what needed to be done.

If we want to seriously compete with clubs with more ambition and money entering the league we need to be ready for the battle.  The bus is a neccessity for us at the moment as was explained.  Our player recruitment has gone from virtually 100% central belt to probably around a 50% split with the local lads. This will also work well in the SPFL.  The stewards ?  Yes we may be  the only club in the HL who have them but as I said before, if we have any ambition to return to the SPFL it is better to have a working model in place as this is a licencing criteria for these leagues. (well done for outfoxing them though . You are one smart dude😎 :lol:)

If you haven't realised by now. Our club has ambition and a forward plan . We can't just rely on the what if scenario as before. 

5 minutes ago, citydiehard said:

Well dropped points today giving Buckie the edge now.Watch the slippery slope now.

As soon as I noticed the last post was by citydiehard I knew City hadn't won...