The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

Our worst performance of the season by a long way. 
We all thought Locos were a decent team who simply wanted to win more than we did.  
As you say on this showing Brechin certainly need to up their game if they want to move up a league.  Locos might be there or there abouts but judging on what we have seen this season I would say Locos are a better team than the Broch. 
Jeanfield Swifts must be world beaters then.

9 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Genuine question: are you guys enjoying life in the old HL?

I suppose it's still all pretty novel. 

I’m enjoying it more than I thought I would. Crowds have been good, we’ve been winning games and have generally done  pretty well barring a couple of setbacks.

A lot of that is just down to just being able to be back at games I suppose. The last few seasons have been pretty miserable as well . It makes a change to watch them winning. Good things are happening off the park and there is a general positive feel about the club which there hasn’t been for a while.

15 hours ago, superbigal said:
On 07/10/2021 at 10:47, theoriginalhedge said:
Our worst performance of the season by a long way. 
We all thought Locos were a decent team who simply wanted to win more than we did.  
As you say on this showing Brechin certainly need to up their game if they want to move up a league.  Locos might be there or there abouts but judging on what we have seen this season I would say Locos are a better team than the Broch. 

Jeanfield Swifts must be world beaters then.

As I said by what we have seen.

Our game against the Broch was a bit scrappy. Locos on Wednesday looked like a decent well organised side who were not as one dimensional. 

Half enjoyed the game today but no team work . Lucky to win . Could do with someone putting their foot on the ball and taking control  , all too hurried. Cox needs to be less aggressive in challenges. Yes it's a league below what he is used to but should use his experience . Davidson passes back to the keeper more than passing forward , tries to stroll the game. A few times Huntly could have scored.

Full marks to the friendliness of the club , the bar and the steak pies.

Perhaps the supporters could be a bit more vocal .

• 2 weeks later...

That half has been the most pathetic Brechin performance I've seen in a long, long time.  Haddington looking the more threatening team, us being unable to keep the ball on the pitch even when dribbling towards goal, a calamitous defensive f*** up between Cruickshank & Macintosh (I think?) to effectively gift them a goal (good finish though, credit where it's due), etc etc.  

Hopefully a re-run of last weekend where we were guff 1st half but picked up to get the win in the 2nd.

Edited by Hedgecutter

On 23/10/2021 at 15:47, Hedgecutter said:

Hopefully a re-run of last weekend where we were guff 1st half but picked up to get the win in the 2nd.

... and so it turned out to be.  Delightful little one-touch flick from Wade for a 91st min winner*.

Bring on the draw.  :thumsup2 

*or so I thought at the time.  Match report says an OG (certainly feasible, and the defender's reaction in the goal would make sense)

Edited by Hedgecutter

24 minutes ago, MonTheHedge said:

Darvel will be a properly tough game. 

Don't know much about them, although based on whatever thread I was reading the other day, they appear to have had a bit of cash thrown at them (some didn't see the 'shock result' against Stranraer as being too much of a shock).  If that's the case, one might put us as underdogs? :unsure2:

Eta: quick check suggests a return for Ross Caldwell along with recognisable names like Jordan Kirkpatrick, Ian McShane & Andy Stirling.

Edited by Hedgecutter

15 hours ago, City_slicker1906 said:

Just watched the Haddington goal again. Just sums up our weakness.
We never play a sympathetic ball to help out fellow teammates or we wait until an opposing player is right on top until they react.
This improved in the second half but thought we were very lucky as I didn’t fancy our chances in a replay.

The goal came from our corner and the inability to put in a decent cross.  It's all good and well working short corners but when the cross eventually goes in it has to get over the first defender. 

When the ball was cleared by Haddington our two defenders had all the time in the world  , but again a sloppy pass into the middle of the park and as you say , bad positioning to help out put us in bother. All basic stuff really , but these types of mistakes have been costing us goals all season and we don't ever seem to learn from them. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

Crazy game today! Second half City overran Strathspey and had it not been for an incredible series of saves from their keeper it could have been 12. Penalty miss annoying but thankfully not crucial although big chance to close down Fraserburgh goal difference wasted. All credit to Strath who kept trying to the final whistle. Nerves in tatters at 3.05pm.

This habit of having shite starts is worrying and only seems to be getting worse, although we have been consistently saved by improved 2nd half performances (Strathspey, Wick, Haddington etc etc). Although one can say it's good that they don't let their heads drop at HT, it can be somewhat problematic if they develop an attitude that says "oh well, we'll get away with it come 90 mins" as I can't see that working particularly well against better sides.  The BBC will be happy if the Darvel game is anything like today though.