The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

18 minutes ago, superbigal said:

In the olden days when I played for the Vale, we used to look forward to the green final on a Saturday night. It was decent for the highland league.
Not sure if any Saturday night sporting papers have survived.
Sporting Post in Dundee long gone.

The Green Final was a great read, used to get quite annoyed if I missed it.

Don't know if any of them are left, every major town had their own Saturday evening football paper.

Ireland's Saturday Night* was quite good, haven't seen it in years, not that I've gone looking for it.

*ETA: Stopped publication in 2008, it appears. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland's_Saturday_Night

Edited by Jacksgranda

49 minutes ago, a_n_d_o said:

It's not that far, under 2 hours away. I'd imagine bus will be back about 7pm and only left early so folk could get a good few pints in and enjoy their day out.

If I go i'll be driving up, although looks like it'd be by myself at the minute

Aye the Aberdeen bypass will get you from Brechin to Dyce in no time. Would you go the Oldmeldrum>Turiff>Banff road after that?

19 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye the Aberdeen bypass will get you from Brechin to Dyce in no time. Would you go the Oldmeldrum>Turiff>Banff road after that?

Sounds about right, would keep me away from Inverurie (my work colleagues always say nightmare for traffic there on a Saturday). Queue getting stuck behind a tractor...

3 minutes ago, a_n_d_o said:

Sounds about right, would keep me away from Inverurie (my work colleagues always say nightmare for traffic there on a Saturday). Queue getting stuck behind a tractor...

Aye the back roads would be fairly quiet.  It's pretty rural there.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Long day, home about 9 pmish?

I can get from Brechin to Newmachar in about an hour in my works van up the new bypass. It's about 35 miles from there to Banff so 2 hours  total is reasonable. 

Most of our journeys this season  are 2- to 2and a half hours max . Obviously Wick , Brora , Clach and Nairn are a bit longer and might require overnight stays ( to take full advantage of the hospitality ) but Inverurie and Formartine will be shorter. 

The dual carriageway runs out a mile or three short of Harlaw Park, irritatingly. 

The distances aren't that bad barring a couple of games, but after however many years of making use of things like motorways, the A947 to Banff and Turriff and the routes to Grantown and Fort might come as a bit of a surprise. 

20 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I can get from Brechin to Newmachar in about an hour in my works van up the new bypass. It's about 35 miles from there to Banff so 2 hours  total is reasonable. 

Most of our journeys this season  are 2- to 2and a half hours max . Obviously Wick , Brora , Clach and Nairn are a bit longer and might require overnight stays ( to take full advantage of the hospitality ) but Inverurie and Formartine will be shorter. 

Apart from clubs on the Inverness - Aberdeen train route (there are quite a few), I usually drive and stop overnight. The football's just an excuse to drink in another pub really. :lol:

On 03/08/2021 at 15:43, Jimmy Shaker said:

The Press and Journal is by far the best printed source on a Monday, and in midweek, but their midweek output can occasionally be nowt but bits ripped from Twitter and reassembled into a report. They're still trying to work out how to monetise their involvement, and how to maintain an interest without Cove, but seem to be giving it a good go again this season.

So much for that. The Monday edition of the Press and Journal doesn't appear to have come with a league table or top scorers list. Michty. 

38 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

So much for that. The Monday edition of the Press and Journal doesn't appear to have come with a league table or top scorers list. Michty. 

This is Wednesday. Does it take two days for the Monday papers to reach Lossie?

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

This is Wednesday. Does it take two days for the Monday papers to reach Lossie?

1 - f**k knows, I live in Inverurie.

2 - I buy it on Monday and read it later in the week to find the errors once I've gotten everything done elsewhere myself. 

37 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

1 - f**k knows, I live in Inverurie.

2 - I buy it on Monday and read it later in the week to find the errors once I've gotten everything done elsewhere myself. 

:lol:

18 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Yep Buckie will be in the hunt.....

Worrying for Brechin,first decent team they play from the HL and it's a defeat albeit after Extra Time.

Fraserburgh are my faves for the title,with Buckie and Brechin not far behind.

I was thinking that, their first non-jobber team and are beaten at home by 2.