The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

Enjoyed the game tonight.

I've seen Brechin on and off as they circled the SPFL drain in the last couple of seasons. That's the hardest I've ever seen a Brechin side work. You can see immediately what Gary Wood brings to the team at centre half (presumably he'll be showing up a but further forward too once the squad fills out) and Kieran Inglis also did really well on the right of the defence. It must be odd for Paton to be reduced to the ranks as a player but you can see he's determined to make up for last season. He had a really good game in centre mid alongside the young Ukrainian, Max. Cox went off injured (think just a precaution) but what a nightmare he is for defenders when in the mood. Great touch, a low centre of gravity, tremendous work-rate and desire. Still, to my surprise, an absolute bull terrier of a forward and great to see him on a football pitch again.

I think about half of Alloa's team were second stringers and they had most of the ball in the first half, clattering the bar from a free kick. I have also no idea how the ball stayed out the Brechin net midway through the first half when they looked as though the couldn't miss from inside the Brechin six yard box, but it went begging.

Scott came on for the injured Cox early in the second half. Alloa had already had a warning when the young forward hit a shot scudding low past the left hand post from an angle, but they didn't heed it. A quick interchange of seemingly innocuous passes suddenly saw the young man sprinting clear between Alloa's two centre halves. He rifled a great shot from about fifteen yards out into the roof of the Alloa net.

Wee Barry was apparently seething and in a bad mood even before kick off and he began to ring the changes. Unfortunately for Alloa, one of them was Connor Sammon. Sammon had two great chances- blazing over in a one on one situation and then from a similar position hitting his effort straight at Jack Wills in goal. Alloa just couldn't find a way through the Brechin defence who rode their luck a little in the last ten minuites but probably just about deserved their win.

Coach Kirk had some convincing to do when he took this job but I like the way his side are developing- a determined, hard working team who pass the ball really well. You can tell a few of the boys have just met but give them a few weeks and good luck with injuries /suspensions and this team should be really strong in this season's Highland League. Brechin are still a bit light numbers wise and I guess will be looking at signing four or five more for a squad. But I think they have a lot to look forward to at Glebe Park this season.

As for Alloa, I know this is a diddy cup and 60-70% of the teams see it as a series of competitive pre-season friendlies...but defeats to Cowdenbeath and Brechin aren't a great start for Barry Ferguson. He'll brush this off though and I think once he's had time to settle in and work out his best team Alloa should have a good season ahead. No one will remember this result if Alloa finish the season in the top four. They are a big, strong team just lacking a final ball and a bit of composure.

Was fantastic to be back at a game - I was last at a Highland League match in the brief window of opportunity last November. Really has whetted the appetitie for tomorrow night's game against Dundee at Links Park- the first time I'll have been there since March 2020.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

Pretty good synopsis from neutral eyes. Looking forward to Saturday

Enjoyed the game tonight.
I've seen Brechin on and off as they circled the SPFL drain in the last couple of seasons. That's the hardest I've ever seen a Brechin side work. You can see immediately what Gary Wood brings to the team at centre half (presumably he'll be showing up a but further forward too once the squad fills out) and Kieran Inglis also did really well on the right of the defence. It must be odd for Paton to be reduced to the ranks as a player but you can see he's determined to make up for last season. He had a really good game in centre mid alongside the young Ukrainian, Max. Cox went off injured (think just a precaution) but what a nightmare he is for defenders when in the mood. Great touch, a low centre of gravity, tremendous work-rate and desire. Still, to my surprise, an absolute bull terrier of a forward and great to see him on a football pitch again.
I think about half of Alloa's team were second stringers and they had most of the ball in the first half, clattering the bar from a free kick. I have also no idea how the ball stayed out the Brechin net midway through the first half when they looked as though the couldn't miss from inside the Brechin six yard box, but it went begging.
Scott came on for the injured Cox early in the second half. Alloa had already had a warning when the young forward hit a shot scudding low past the left hand post from an angle, but they didn't heed it. A quick interchange of seemingly innocuous passes suddenly saw the young man sprinting clear between Alloa's two centre halves. He rifled a great shot from about fifteen yards out into the roof of the Alloa net.
Wee Barry was apparently seething and in a bad mood even before kick off and he began to ring the changes. Unfortunately for Alloa, one of them was Connor Sammon. Sammon had two great chances- blazing over in a one on one situation and then from a similar position hitting his effort straight at Jack Wills in goal. Alloa just couldn't find a way through the Brechin defence who rode their luck a little in the last ten minuites but probably just about deserved their win.
Coach Kirk had some convincing to do when he took this job but I like the way his side are developing- a determined, hard working team who pass the ball really well. You can tell a few of the boys have just met but give them a few weeks and good luck with injuries /suspensions and this team should be really strong in this season's Highland League. Brechin are still a bit light numbers wise and I guess will be looking at signing four or five more for a squad. But I think they have a lot to look forward to at Glebe Park this season.
As for Alloa, I know this is a diddy cup and 60-70% of the teams see it as a series of competitive pre-season friendlies...but defeats to Cowdenbeath and Brechin aren't a great start for Barry Ferguson. He'll brush this off though and I think once he's had time to settle in and work out his best team Alloa should have a good season ahead. No one will remember this result if Alloa finish the season in the top four. They are a big, strong team just lacking a final ball and a bit of composure.
Was fantastic to be back at a game - I was last at a Highland League match in the brief window of opportunity last November. Really has whetted the appetitie for tomorrow night's game against Dundee at Links Park- the first time I'll have been there since March 2020.

Hi Brechin fans!

If you're needing to get caught up on the Highland League and associated competitions, and how things have gone in the past half dozen seasons, you can do so by purchasing one of our diaries on any of the seasons since the pyramid started in 2014/15. Each is full of match reports, news, stats, league tables, and plenty other bits and pieces. All you're missing now is a rake of journeys north during which time you can get your read on!

And to celebrate Brechin arriving in the SHFL, our publishers have given us a discount code worth 10% off the various cover prices. Enter the code CREATOR10 when ordering to take advantage. Click on the links below to order your copy!

As mentioned, all our previous editions remain on sale and can be ordered at the links below...

SHFL Diary 2014/15 - click here!
SHFL Diary 2015/16 - click here!
SHFL Diary 2016/17 - click here!
SHFL Diary 2017/18 - click here!
SHFL Diary 2018/19 - click here!
SHFL Diary 2019/20 - click here!

The 2020/21 edition will be out once the season finishes, and with the last game scheduled for Wednesday, it shouldn't be much longer!

All prices have been dropped, so if you're missing a couple now's the time to complete - or start - your collection!

If anyone has any questions about the upcoming edition, any of the older ones, the ordering process, or anything else, please ask.

Happy reading!

The SHFL Diary Team

Any chance we will have more than 3 subs tomorrow ? What's happened to the right back we got on loan from hearts ? Injured? Or cup tied ? Really need a sub goalie if wills gets injured were screwed  think this is the first season in a while I'm actually looking forward to the start of it. Mon City!

Edited by Rossco8326

Well that was a rather enjoyable football experience.  A thoroughly deserved win in a game that City pretty much dominated from start to finish.  Can't get overly excited considering that Turra  lost to Fraserburgh 13-1 last season and finished 14th in season 19/20, but certainly a great start to the season.   :)

46 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Well that was a rather enjoyable football experience.  A thoroughly deserved win in a game that City pretty much dominated from start to finish.  Can't get overly excited considering that Turra  lost to Fraserburgh 13-1 last season and finished 14th in season 19/20, but certainly a great start to the season.   :)

Gotta agree there, good start to the season we played some great stuff in the first half sending off really knocked us off our perch 2nd half I think we need a few more decent additions in for the bigger tests to come.

Edited by Citytillidie

Well that was a rather enjoyable football experience.  A thoroughly deserved win in a game that City pretty much dominated from start to finish.  Can't get overly excited considering that Turra  lost to Fraserburgh 13-1 last season and finished 14th in season 19/20, but certainly a great start to the season.   [emoji4]

Looked as though there is still loads to come.

Thought the whole team put in a good performance without even getting out of second gear.

13 minutes ago, Citytillidie said:

sending off really knocked us off our perch 2nd half

Had to watch it online at home and I evidently completely missed this  :lol::ph34r:    (must have been whilst I was getting that beer in the 54th min)

That's what you get with no commentary (although you could hear half of Levein's murmurings). 

0de3b6485e8669ae4483c127fa23a1ef.png

Edited by Hedgecutter

I took in this game and thought Brechin looked good, early days though as Turriff are an awful side but I’d still be very happy if I were a Brechin fan.

Scott, Wood, Bain were all very good and Paton as well in the second half. Impressed with Kucheriavyi too. Felt the sending off was very harsh when the ref let worse things go without punishment or even a foul. I was also surprised the Turriff left back wasn’t hooked, got nowhere near Scott all afternoon.

The sending off did take away some of Brechin’s momentum but it was never in doubt as you were miles ahead of Turriff. Like someone else said, a few more additions will be great ahead of your bigger tests.

Yep Turriff were better organised than they have been for a couple of seasons and made Brechin work hard for the win. Brechin will have to be patient at home and absorb some rough treatment. That was Gary Wood's fate this afternoon- the neddy wee boy wearing 5 for Turriff very lucky to stay on the park after stamping on the prone forward at the beginning of the second half. Meanwhile Brechin had a man ordered off for two something-and-nothing challenges. The standard of refereeing was absolutely appalling, I have to say. I wouldn't have that guy in charge of a BB match. Totally out of his depth and got so many big decisions wrong.

Brechin certainly scored three very good goals and were the superior team. They had to manage the game after the ordering off after an hour and did that very well indeed. I think the team is shaping up to be built around "Davo" and the partnership between Paton and Kucheriavyi in the middle of the park which is very promising indeed. Paton worked so hard all afternoon and although Max is slight he can hold his own when the physical stuff is being dished out. With Cox presumably absent injured, Garry Wood soldiered on up front and held the ball up really well. He was pretty unlucky not to have got on the scoresheet. The referee was the only man in the stadium not to see him being blatantly hauled to the ground in the area late on in the match.

Young Scott looks a player and got a lot of joy down the Brechin right. Brechin have still a lot of gelling to do- some players are not quite on the same wavelength yet and there was a frustrating lack of a final ball, or wrong decision in the box, at times. But that will come with game time and players getting used to one another.

Lovely hot day and I got a bit sunburnt. Brechin couldn't really have asked for a better start but much bigger tests than this lie ahead.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman