The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

18 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Thought you would be going for someone that knows the HL inside out and would shift the recruiting focus to the Aberdeen area. Strange pair of appointments unless there's somebody stepping in to bankroll a central belt based team in a big way to do promotion in a single season given the way most of Levein and Kirk's contacts will be at the upper end of the range in SPFL terms. 

Recipe for disaster that would be, can see them in some serious bother if that's how they want to go.  

56 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Hmmm ? 🤔

Surely it would be best to learn the mistakes from the past and try to recruit young hungry players in the northern areas eager to try and push through the HL into division two as opposed to the recruitment that has shown doesnt work? 

I mean, with all respect intended, you guys havent had much luck with the pool of players from the central belt over the past few seasons. One would assume the better option would be a change of strategy, yes maybe a few seasoned central belt pro's, but tackle the problem of your poor form at the base and work up, dont try and do the same thing over and over when its clearly not worked. 

Just dont think its the better option, but humble pie and all that if proven wrong!

2 hours ago, KeltyDaft said:

Surely it would be best to learn the mistakes from the past and try to recruit young hungry players in the northern areas eager to try and push through the HL into division two as opposed to the recruitment that has shown doesnt work? 

I mean, with all respect intended, you guys havent had much luck with the pool of players from the central belt over the past few seasons. One would assume the better option would be a change of strategy, yes maybe a few seasoned central belt pro's, but tackle the problem of your poor form at the base and work up, dont try and do the same thing over and over when its clearly not worked. 

Just dont think its the better option, but humble pie and all that if proven wrong!

A lot of assumptions being made here already based on ...........................................well nothing really. 

Just have to wait and see what pans out.  A new start all round  new management team , new club structure , new league , new challenges 

I am sure we will rise to the challenge. 

12 hours ago, Brechin City FC said:

I’m not overly excited about this appointment given his lack of experience. Hopefully Levein’s input will help there. His record with Hearts Women wasn’t exactly what you would call decent: 

image.thumb.png.b7c233d0aa1b68acba8aa5856b37ad8c.png

Kirk has a superior record.  2 wins in 21 games whilst Paton only got 2 wins in 22 (or 24 if you include the Kelty games).  There's just no pleasing some people. ;)

13 hours ago, KeltyDaft said:

I mean, with all respect intended, you guys havent had much luck with the pool of players from the central belt over the past few seasons. One would assume the better option would be a change of strategy, yes maybe a few seasoned central belt pro's, but tackle the problem of your poor form at the base and work up, dont try and do the same thing over and over when its clearly not worked

Tbf, it's a system that's worked fairly well if you consider that Brechin had only been in League 2 for two seasons over the past 20 years.  You say that as if central belt recruitment has suddenly been the cause of the downfall despite it clearly having a rather decent track record over the years. 

The main causes of the recent woes have been a losing mentality (that development throughout that Championship season) and failure to get rid of people with it in sufficient time, not where the players were based.  The same thing happened to your Fife neighbours who went from Championship to a pen-shootout away from the LL within the space of 3 or 4 seasons.

However... it was always going to be a risky road to carry on down as soon as the LL-HL boundary got drawn up.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Think Brechin would find it difficult to look north to fill their squad, its a very competitive market competing with HFL sides already established. As a side based in the north east we have been running with two or three players from the local area and a few years ago lost players to the HFL. You have to make it worthwhile for players to commit to travel to games/training otherwise they will find something nearer home possibly at a lower level 

13 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Kirk has a superior record.  2 wins in 21 games whilst Paton only got 2 wins in 22 (or 24 if you include the Kelty games).  There's just no pleasing some people. ;)

Appreciate that it does not look clever and no amount of me saying that Hearts Ladies were a side in transition. There are not may lady players to go round that would create a league with calibre from top to bottom. I would agree that it does not look great but he barely had a year with an already poor side. We have been there before with new managers working with poor squads. There will be no hiding space this time as he and Levien will be signing the squad. Maybe about half dozen of current squad to be kept and build from there.

49 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Has their been any players linked with you lot at all?Big rebuild be interesting to see who comes in.

Apparently Levien and Kirk met yesterday to go over that very thing.

I suspect in the next few days news will reach us.

On 09/06/2021 at 13:03, Cold Feet said:

Appreciate that it does not look clever and no amount of me saying that Hearts Ladies were a side in transition. There are not may lady players to go round that would create a league with calibre from top to bottom. I would agree that it does not look great but he barely had a year with an already poor side. We have been there before with new managers working with poor squads. There will be no hiding space this time as he and Levien will be signing the squad. Maybe about half dozen of current squad to be kept and build from there.

On the flip side, he won the Reserve League Cup when he was in charge of Hearts Reserves and had the (young) team playing very good football.

37 minutes ago, Rossco8326 said:

Silence from the club just now is abit worrying I know things will be happening in the background but would be nice to be updated 

They were visited by the HFL secretary on Friday and given induction into HFL.

13 hours ago, Rossco8326 said:

Silence from the club just now is abit worrying I know things will be happening in the background but would be nice to be updated 

There is absolutely loads going on in the background, the interim committee have only been put together in the last week and have not as yet been able to get together. Manager and Craig Leiven met on Wednesday. Therefore I think there will be an info dump very soon.