The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

8 minutes ago, Brechin City FC said:

And on Monday they are going to vote to take that power away from the supporters also for the sake of a couple of quid investment.

What is going on at Brechin. Almost everyone wanted them to win their games against Kelty, now they are turning folk against.

They are digging a bigger and bigger hole.

Just now, Best Team in Angus said:

Is it not the season ticket holders that vote for this to happen or not

It's been presented in a way that makes it only look as if it's a positive.  Most folk that are voting (myself included) don't know enough information about it.

If the current proposal goes through then it would only take a couple of wealthy people to decide they want to profit off the club and propose the sale of the ground and there's not an awful lot the fans could do to stop it.

1 minute ago, Brechin City FC said:

It's been presented in a way that makes it only look as if it's a positive.  Most folk that are voting (myself included) don't know enough information about it.

If the current proposal goes through then it would only take a couple of wealthy people to decide they want to profit off the club and propose the sale of the ground and there's not an awful lot the fans could do to stop it.

My understanding is that the set up of the shareholding & heads of agreement cannot let this happen, but everyone is quite free to ask questions and if  you do not agree or do not fully understand  then vote no to remain as current setup, in my opinion a no vote would probably be the end of the club. 

1 minute ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Not as simplistic as that. 

It was overwhelmingly decided that the outdated system we were working with had to change to be able to compete financially with the new money coming into the game from clubs below. 

The supporters still have the chance to have a say in the club by becoming shareholders. 

If you think the general fan is going be able to afford enough shares to have much of a say in the club I think you are mistaken.  I imagine the majority of the shares will be taken up by a handful of people up to the 25% limit (I think that was what was quoted? correct me if I'm wrong) and it would then only take 2-3 of them to decide they want to profit from the club.

It's an unlikely scenario but it's a lot more likely than our current set-up.

There is no need for the club to try and compete financially with these clubs - I feel we are going to be at the level we are at for the long haul, investment or no investment.  I'd rather not risk the future of the club for a wee bit of investment that is likely to be wasted.  The reported offer to lowland league clubs yesterday is a prime example.

2 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

My understanding is that the set up of the shareholding & heads of agreement cannot let this happen, but everyone is quite free to ask questions and if  you do not agree or do not fully understand  then vote no to remain as current setup, in my opinion a no vote would probably be the end of the club. 

In what way would it be the 'end of the club'?  Are we not able to live within our means and only spend what we have?  We may not be competing at the heady heights of League One or Two in Scotland but the club would continue to exist.

Edit to add: I had emailed to ask a question a while back but didn't receive a response.  I know of others who have asked questions and havenot had their questions answered properly.

In the update we received a while back, it stated that if we were to be relegated, the incorporation would be called off.  That position has clearly changed since then despite saying that it would be near impossible to attract investors. 

Edited by Brechin City FC

2 minutes ago, Brechin City FC said:

That is not the case at all. There are stipulations in place regarding bulk buying of the shares to ensure that this scenario doesn't happen. 

All season ticket holders have had the chance to seek more information as stated in the initial notification . 

The supporters club are in an ideal position to ensure a comfortable supporter representation . 

7 minutes ago, Brechin City FC said:

If you think the general fan is going be able to afford enough shares to have much of a say in the club I think you are mistaken.  I imagine the majority of the shares will be taken up by a handful of people up to the 25% limit (I think that was what was quoted? correct me if I'm wrong) and it would then only take 2-3 of them to decide they want to profit from the club.

It's an unlikely scenario but it's a lot more likely than our current set-up.

There is no need for the club to try and compete financially with these clubs - I feel we are going to be at the level we are at for the long haul, investment or no investment.  I'd rather not risk the future of the club for a wee bit of investment that is likely to be wasted.  The reported offer to lowland league clubs yesterday is a prime example.

This is possibly the attitude that got us into this mess in the first place. 

5 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

That is not the case at all. There are stipulations in place regarding bulk buying of the shares to ensure that this scenario doesn't happen. 

All season ticket holders have had the chance to seek more information as stated in the initial notification . 

The supporters club are in an ideal position to ensure a comfortable supporter representation . 

Selling the ground would require a special meeting, and this in company
law would require a 75% majority.
Also no one individual will be allowed to own more than 25% of the
shares.

It would take 3 people to vote this through. 

Just now, Brechin City FC said:

Selling the ground would require a special meeting, and this in company
law would require a 75% majority.
Also no one individual will be allowed to own more than 25% of the
shares.

It would take 3 people to vote this through. 

No it wouldn't. 

Just now, theoriginalhedge said:

This is possibly the attitude that got us into this mess in the first place. 

It absolutely is not.  The reason we had to cut our cloth in the championship is because we had overspent our means and were in a financially bad situation.

Just now, Brechin City FC said:

In what way would it be the 'end of the club'?  Are we not able to live within our means and only spend what we have?  We may not be competing at the heady heights of League One or Two in Scotland but the club would continue to exist.

There will still be a requirement for money where will that come from, no money will come from SPFL living off the gates / hospitality / sponsorship will not be enough, how many times do you think people will keep giving donations especially the way the club has been run the last few years. I personally think incorporation is the only way forward, I for one will donate no more money to the club under the current setup, but the final decision will be down to the season ticketholders should be a lively EGM

5 minutes ago, Brechin City FC said:

If it wouldn't, can you please explain further?  I'd be delighted to be proven wrong and as mentioned before the questions I had asked haven't been responded to.

I might be wrong , but having 25% shareholding does not equate to a guaranteed 25% voting right . 

12 minutes ago, Brechin City FC said:

It absolutely is not.  The reason we had to cut our cloth in the championship is because we had overspent our means and were in a financially bad situation.

Through that season we were fortunate to get drawn against Celtic in the cup.  That basically cleared our debt yet we still didn't try to consolidate our position in league 1 the following season and went from one calamity to the next. 

I personally would prefer to try something different. 

11 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Through that season we were fortunate to get drawn against Celtic in the cup.  That basically cleared our debt yet we still didn't try to consolidate our position in league 1 the following season and went from one calamity to the next. 

I personally would prefer to try something different. 

Dods should have been sacked at the end of the Championship season; Smith and Wilson should have been sacked earlier than they were; Paton was clearly not experienced enough to keep us up - decisions like these are what caused us to plummet down the leagues, and ultimately decisions like these will have to be made whether we are incorporated or not.  I fail to see what would be different?

Edited by Brechin City FC

29 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I might be wrong , but having 25% shareholding does not equate to a guaranteed 25% voting right . 

You are wrong. Read section 51.2 of the proposed Articles of Association. 

It is worrying that such a basic concept of the incorporation is missed. The vast majority of supporters who will be voting will not understand the implications of what they are actually voting for as you have shown.

7 minutes ago, Brechin City FC said:

Dods should have been sacked at the end of the Championship season; Smith and Wilson should have been sacked earlier than they were; Paton was clearly not experienced enough to keep us up - decisions like these are what caused us to plummet down the leagues, and ultimately decisions like these will have to be made whether we are incorporated or not.  I fail to see what would be different?

Getting rid of key players and backroom staff at vital times in our decline were part of the cause.  This was down to the managers at the time being given free reign without question .  

I would hope the difference now is the realisation that managers would not be rewarded financially for failure and their contracts be performance based .....................the financial benefits coming from success. 

So who do we think has made the managerial shortlist so far, or is even available? The media seem to think that McKinnon is on his way back (never realised he had left QP 😕) and multiple P&B posters seem to have thrown Kevin Tindal's name around as an idea.

It wouldn't surprise me if the club has been so Central Belt focussed that they don't have a clue where to start looking for players further north (possibly a reason for being desperate for the LL).  Cue a FB post saying 'NE players wanted' to accompany the 'managerial vacancy' one.

Edited by Hedgecutter

15 minutes ago, City Slicker1906 said:

You are wrong. Read section 51.2 of the proposed Articles of Association. 

It is worrying that such a basic concept of the incorporation is missed. The vast majority of supporters who will be voting will not understand the implications of what they are actually voting for as you have shown.

I stand corrected. 

This is where the supporters club have to step up to the mark to ensure they remain a prominent investor. 

Also I would hope most of the investors have Brechin City at heart and not the assets. 

1 minute ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I stand corrected. 

This is where the supporters club have to step up to the mark to ensure they remain a prominent investor. 

Also I would hope most of the investors have Brechin City at heart and not the assets. 

And this is the problem I have with the whole thing.  There can be no guarantees that is the case.