The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

Just now, GordonS said:

Wick's in Caithness, Brora is in Easter Ross. I know a lot of people (most?) include Caithness in the Highlands but geographically, linguistically and historically it's more like Orkney.

I put my "I agree" edit in a few seconds too late.  I meant it as in the the Wick / Brora thing was just a new element to throw on an already done-to-death argument.   

There's an online debate amongst Caithness People (do they have an actual colllective name?) which generally agrees with 'naw', but even some folk from up that way think they are (from a non-council area view).  I've seen this 'what's the Highlands?' argument run into multiple pages on here on multiple occasions.

As far as i remember although it was a while back i thought the line for the Highlands ran from Fort William to Montrose. Anyway Brechin should maybe consider themselves fortunate that they are at least joining a league with some integrity rather than one that has lost all its credibility  by some of its members being bought for pennies.

Edited by peternapper

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I put my "I agree" edit in a few seconds too late.  I meant it as in the the Wick / Brora thing was just a new element to throw on an already done-to-death argument.   

There's an online debate amongst Caithness People (do they have an actual colllective name?) which generally agrees with 'naw', but even some folk from up that way think they are (from a non-council area view).  I've seen this 'what's the Highlands?' argument run into multiple pages on here on multiple occasions.

I once had a former Labour special adviser lose his shit at me on Twitter because he was adamant that the Central Belt had a strictly geological definition and I said the vast majority of people used a social definition, which is what really matters. Obviously there's a strong correlation - the Central Belt is partly defined by the coal and shale under it.

I know the sensitivities of these debates, I just enjoy prodding them...

16 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Cats?

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

I once had a former Labour special adviser lose his shit at me on Twitter because he was adamant that the Central Belt had a strictly geological definition and I said the vast majority of people used a social definition, which is what really matters. Obviously there's a strong correlation - the Central Belt is partly defined by the coal and shale under it.

^^^Big team found...

Ohh this is fun
What exactly counts as the central belt?
Just the M8 corridor?
M8 plus Falkirk & Stirling ?
What about the south of fife?
The top end of Ayrshire round where most it’s population live?
Is it too much to take in north fife Perth and Dundee? They are only an hour from Edinburgh & Glasgow
Who decides

14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

"the vast majority of people used a social definition, which is what really matters"

- Agreed

"the Central Belt had a strictly geological definition"

- Labour Lies.  There is no geological definition for the Central Belt.  Midland Valley, yes, but that includes Stonehaven which is very obviously not in the 'Central Belt'.  For those that use the Highland Boundary Fault debate for Aberdeen being in the Highlands (then to be consistent) Lochranza must be in the Highlands and Brodick must be in the Lowlands; an argument you can drive a bus through.

Edited by Hedgecutter

17 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Cats?

Cat(t) People is a proper shout.

Wikipedia

The Caith element of the name Caithness comes from the name of a Pictish tribe known as the Cat or Catt people, or Catti (see Kingdom of Cat). The -ness element comes from Old Norse and means "headland". The Norse called the area Katanes ("headland of the Catt people"), and over time this became Caithness

20 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Ohh this is fun
Just the M8 corridor?
Is it too much to take in north fife Perth and Dundee? They are only an hour from Edinburgh & Glasgow
Who decides

Falkirk & Stirling?  Not even up for debate.   Dunfermline?  Clearly Central Belt.   Kilmarnock?  Pushing it.  Ayr?  F*** knows.  Perth/Dundee?  'Ruel Street, bring yer maw' level debate.  Ruel Street?  CB mortgage banker.  Who decides?  Big Aggie.

Edited by Hedgecutter

18 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Ohh this is fun
Just the M8 corridor?
Who decides

Everything between the Highland Boundary Fault and Southern Uplands Fault.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Everything between the Highland Boundary Fault and Southern Uplands Fault.

Brechin & Stonehaven are Central Belt?  :unsure:

That's fighting talk.

42 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

"the Central Belt had a strictly geological definition"

- Labour Lies.  There is no geological definition for the Central Belt.  Midland Valley, yes, but that includes Stonehaven which is very obviously not in the 'Central Belt'.  For those that use the Highland Boundary Fault debate for Aberdeen being in the Highlands (then to be consistent) Lochranza must be in the Highlands and Brodick must be in the Lowlands; an argument you can drive a bus through.

That was exactly his argument.

I know.

Getting this back on topic a little, the thing that makes this ugly for Brechin is that, by quirk of how Tier 5 has come together, there's a big distance between the HL and LL. In time that should change, we might see Lochee, Carnoustie and Banks O'Dee come into the HL and other Angus clubs or Cove may drop down into it. It's difficult to see Fort William surviving in it for long, too. If Brechin do have to spend any time in the HL then at least they should get some company before long.

ETA: I'd expect the LL to get pulled much further west than it is now pretty quickly as WoS teams start coming into it.

Screenshot 2021-05-24 at 17.15.28.png

Edited by GordonS

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

It is next season.

To add fuel to the fire, this is the strip we've been playing in all season, sponsored by the distillery next door to Glebe Park.

El0fgUTX0AQThKF.jpg_large.thumb.jpg.fa3d17b8a1894692350a2e38370cad6a.jpg

Eta: that said, the water for Glencadam gets piped down from a loch just beyond the Angus glens (30 miles away), so it's 'highland' water to produce a highland style.  More about taste style rather than geography of course, but fun fact for the day if nothing else.

Edited by Hedgecutter

10 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

To add fuel to the fire, this is the strip we've been playing in all season, sponsored by the distillery next door to Glebe Park.

El0fgUTX0AQThKF.jpg_large.thumb.jpg.fa3d17b8a1894692350a2e38370cad6a.jpg

Eta: that said, the water for Glencadam gets piped down from a loch just beyond the Angus glens (30 miles away), so it's 'highland' water.  Fun fact for the day.

What do the letters up the top right side mean? :blink:

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

For those that use the Highland Boundary Fault debate for Aberdeen being in the Highlands (then to be consistent) Lochranza must be in the Highlands and Brodick must be in the Lowlands; an argument you can drive a bus through.

Arran has both a Highland (Lochranza) and Lowland (Lagg) distillery on the island.

If you're having some sort of meltdown about an island having more than one area then wait until you find out what Britain is tbh.