The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

Dundee is never in the Highlands

Berwick isn’t in Scotland yet played in the SPFL and SFL
Heart of Midlothian aren’t in Midlothian
Clyde are nowhere near the river Clyde.

It’s just a name for the North feeder of the Pyramid if we only included actual Highland teams there wouldn’t be many teams in it.

1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:

Berwick also made the League Cup semi final against Rangers in 1963.

Cowdenbeath and Arbroath got there in 1959, Hamilton & QoS in 1960, Morton reached the final in 1964, the way the tournament was structured meant it wasn't unusual for a second division side to reach the semis, East Fife won it while in the second division.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Half the clubs are about an hour away from them.

Half of them?  Try two.

Then it's 5 clubs within 1.5 hrs, 8 clubs within 2* hrs (the latter being the same time it takes to get to Glasgow)...

Edited by Hedgecutter

11 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

As things stand, Brechiners will (marginally) travel fewer miles to get to grounds in the HL than they would in the LL, and that's with one more team to play in the HL (1743, n=17 vs 1783, n=16).  In all likelihood, it all comes down to this preference to tap into a larger pool of players, which those without red-tinted specs can see as being an unfair advantage over others in the region.  If there was a bigger pool to the  north then they'd be crying for the HL.

To play Devil's advocate though, although You bring up the D&G example, it takes ~1.5 hrs longer to drive to Wick from Brechin than a trip from Brechin to Dalbeattie.  It's also marginally quicker to drive from Brechin to Berwick than it is from Brechin to Inverness.   Also, as the crow flies, Glebe Park to Harlaw Park (closest HL ground to Brechin) is only 250 metres  shorter than Glebe Park to New Bayview (not LL, I know, but it's the nearest senior club in that catchment). 

Basically, it's very border line, but in our heart of hearts we know that HL is the right place for it really given the substantial imbalance in north v south senior team numbers already.

The Cemetery End toilets at Glebe Park were nothing but a beech leaf-filled concrete trough running into a drain.  That said, we recently upgraded it to a steel urinal which now runs down into a leaf-filled trough running into a drain.    The Trinity Road Stand toilets are considerably more civilised though (in that it has plumbing).

i know about this, and it's not you i'm aiming this at but others who perhaps use it to justify their preference,  Scotland being the way it is , the roads are heavily biased towards big population centres, which favours the central belt, & south . the majority of your drive from Brechin to Dalbeatie or Berwcik will be on motorway or dual carriageway where as the drive to Wick or Inverness will not.  i know that sounds like a reason to put angus in the south but then with the reasons of balance taken into account, angus is in the northern half of scotland, if there are any long journeys to be taken to play in a regional league, they should be in the north 

15 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Cowdenbeath and Arbroath got there in 1959, Hamilton & QoS in 1960, Morton reached the final in 1964, the way the tournament was structured meant it wasn't unusaul for a second division side to reach the semis, East Fife won it while in the second division.

In 1970 the League cup semifinalists were Rangers, Celtic, Dumbarton and Cowdenbeath. The draw was of course done in secret.

5 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I know this twerp is a PT fan, but the Jambos have outdone themselves with their TakE YoUr MEdiCiNE!!11!!one!! chat over the last 24 hours.

Simpletons.

I don't think you do know this twerp of a PT fan! 

This twerp of a PT fan was a fan who was hoping (and supporting) your team would make the Play-off games and join us in the Championship!  Go to your Falkirk thread and check! 

The fact I have an issue with the SPFL treatment of the demoted teams and yet 'spared' *Brechin might be in conflict with your views but that's just tough! 

The SPFLs treatment of these 4 clubs was contradictory and Brechin were given different and favourable treatment! As I said I have sympathy for the fans and the players but not for the organisation called Brechin Football Club. I can accept you might view this as inconsistent. 

As far as I am concerned there is an element of justice in this relegation! 

Oh and BTW I actually live not too far away from Glebe Park and have heard all the local gossip etc! 

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

with the reasons of balance taken into account, angus is in the northern half of scotland

This is the crux of it imo, although it needs a bit of common sense.  As an extreme hypothetical example, if you were to split a list of teams organised by order of latitude 50/50, and it happened to coincide with the Forth-Clyde canal, then forcing a Stenny to travel to Moray & Aberdeenshire every second weekend instead of Edinburgh / Glasgow would be an obscene proposal.  However, in Brechin's case where it's so borderline (with less travel for the board / most fans on the HL side) and we want to avoid a huge geographical split as much as possible, HL seems like the most practical choice here. 

I reckon a large part of this is about the connotations of the name 'Highland League' and the area historically involved.  If it were to be called the Northern and Southern leagues, and you asked folk from Angus if they considered themselves to be northern Scotland or southern Scotland, then I think you'd have an answer fairly quickly.

Eta: Just spliced the HL & LL wiki maps together for illustrative entertainment:

image.png.b0898b6b5df911db6cb1b7a5141879ab.png

Edited by Hedgecutter

7 minutes ago, Exiledjag said:

This twerp of a PT fan was a fan who was hoping (and supporting) your team would make the Play-off games and join us in the Championship!  Go to your Falkirk thread and check! 

The fact I have an issue with the SPFL treatment of the demoted teams and yet 'spared' *Brechin might be in conflict with your views but that's just tough! 

The SPFLs treatment of these 4 clubs was contradictory and Brechin were given different and favourable treatment! As I said I have sympathy for the fans and the players but not for the organisation called Brechin Football Club. I can accept you might view this as inconsistent. 

Oh and BTW I actually live not too far away from Glebe Park and have heard all the local gossip etc! 

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

There were no play offs last season. Bottom of SPFL 2 is a play off spot, not a relegation spot. But you know that amyway.

Brechin were given different treatment as they were in a different situation, as has already been explained and wilfully ignored.

6 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

You might want to consider how Brechin (or QotS, Edinburgh City, or any of the other playoff-bound teams) were supposed to play said playoff when all sport was cancelled due to the pandemic, then try posting that again.

I actually did think about the above and especially for the clubs like Falkirk Ayr, Inverness and the other  clubs who were denied the opportunity of promotion, unlike Cove, Raith and Dundee Utd.  The reality though was that these clubs were demoted or their survival threatened. 

So for me and I acknowledge they were treated unfairly they were not treated "as unfairly" and Am I not correct in saying these clubs actually voted for  this shambolic approach! 

You might like to think about that! 

9 minutes ago, Exiledjag said:

I have sympathy for the fans and the players but not for the organisation called Brechin Football Club.

I can accept you might view this as inconsistent

JubilantImpishBirdofparadise-max-1mb.gif

4 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Mate, you're a Big Mac away from an embolism, calm the f**k down.

Thank you Zen Archer. 

I am calm now. 

There is much more I could say about this matter but given your encouragement this is my final word. 

Thanks again. 

27 minutes ago, Exiledjag said:

Hooooooooboy.

Thank you for your kind wishes in our doomed campaign but this... this is a nonsense.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Also, as the crow flies, Glebe Park to Harlaw Park (closest HL ground to Brechin) is only 250 metres  shorter than Glebe Park to New Bayview (not LL, I know, but it's the nearest senior club in that catchment). 

St Andrew’s United and Newburgh would like a word...

4 minutes ago, Exiledjag said:

There is much more I could say about this matter but given your encouragement this is my final word. 

Shame.  Following the 'Well eventually we got out of League 1, and now where are you Brechin Football Club (sic), going to the Highland League, and where are we?  Going to the Championship, for being a top team' , we just needed 'and now we move onto liars...' for the full set.

image.png.c882b0f9a9fef30f8723fd0ab3ce4b9f.png

1 hour ago, Tutankhamen said:

Dundee is never in the Highlands

Neither is Inverurie, Fraserburgh, Pitmedden, Huntly, Turriff, Keith, Lossiemouth, Banff or Buckie; Nairn and Forres shouldn't be considered Highland and Rothes is marginal; and Wick is in Highland Council but it's not in the Highlands.

The only Highland teams in the Highland League are Fort William, Clach, Strathspey and Brora.

Highland and Lowland are just better names than North and South.

34 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Neither is Inverurie, Fraserburgh, Pitmedden, Huntly, Turriff, Keith, Lossiemouth, Banff or Buckie; Nairn and Forres shouldn't be considered Highland and Rothes is marginal; and Wick is in Highland Council but it's not in the Highlands.

The only Highland teams in the Highland League are Fort William, Clach, Strathspey and Brora.

tenor.gif

Eta: I agree btw.  ;)

Edited by Hedgecutter

All of the teams above are quite clearly in the Highlands. Anything north of the boundary fault and shaded on the map is Highland.

P915410.thumb.png.6157781a45d275c2fa59457527ddadde.png

Any destination that requires using the northbound Queen Street tunnel is teuchterdom. 

15 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

tenor.gif

Wick's in Caithness, Brora is in Easter Ross. I know a lot of people (most?) include Caithness in the Highlands but geographically, linguistically and historically it's more like Orkney.