The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

10 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

Why would Brechin want to go to the Lowland? The Highland will be much easier to win. What am I missing?

they get all their players from the Central Belt. They think Central Belt players won't sign for a HL club. The central belt players they've been signing have been pish for years. Far better trying to hoover up the best non-SPFL talent from Angus and Tayside.

21 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Edusport Academy are there on merit, they literally won a tier 6 league and got promoted. The other two joined to bring the numbers up to 16 as the Juniors either didn't want to join or didn't have the facilities/licence to be able to join. 

Arguably they're all there on merit because relegation has previously existed and all current LL teams didn't get relegated. Clearly a lot of current LL clubs didn't enter the LL 'on merit', which goes for for every single club in the HL also. At least half the LL are going to get flushed out over the coming years. Clubs with double digit supports and no sugar daddies won't last long.

13 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

they get all their players from the Central Belt. They think Central Belt players won't sign for a HL club. The central belt players they've been signing have been pish for years. Far better trying to hoover up the best non-SPFL talent from Angus and Tayside.

The challenge there is paying the Tayside-based players enough to make it worth their while travelling 100+ miles every second weekend to places they heard of 10 years ago in the long-lost Highland League roundup.  I suspect a lot will just think "nah, f*** that", but if we keep a decent enough core support then it might just be possible to bribe them.

eta: actually, no, they'll be too young to remember the Highland League roundup.  Needs brought back imo.

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

The challenge there is paying the Tayside-based players enough to make it worth their while travelling 100+ miles every second weekend to places they heard of 10 years ago in the long-lost Highland League roundup.  I suspect a lot will just think "nah, f*** that", but if we keep a decent enough core support then it might just be possible to bribe them.

True. There's no doubt Brechin are a bit unlucky with their circumstances. I think you'd face a similar problem in the LL though maybe not to the same extent. Until the centre of gravity of the HL shifts towards Dundee with some ex-East Juniors moving up, they'll be in a sticky situation.

Feel sorry for the fans of Brechin. Been a hard few years for them and they were excellent when we went up in numbers close to the end of the Championship winning season. Been a horror show for them recently and I guess there is no safety margin with ambitious clubs in the other leagues. 

10 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

eta: actually, no, they'll be too young to remember the Highland League roundup.  Needs brought back imo.

What's the chances of Michael Paton staying?

If he is to go Kevin Tindal would know the Highland league pretty well,played and managed up their be a good boy to get in.

2 minutes ago, mo83 said:

If he is to go Kevin Tindal would know the Highland league pretty well,played and managed up their be a good boy to get in.

Think he’s got another two years left on his contract, personally I don’t think he is the man to rebuild us definitely need somone else in next season 

So why not sign players north of Dundee? Train in Aberdeen? Appreciate it is not as simple as that but they will be an attractive proposition to players from the north east.

1 minute ago, mo83 said:

Next to none I would imagine, not unless they keep training around Grangemouth in the slim hope they can recruit 15 sadomasochistic players with a fetish for long drives and overtaking tractors / horseboxes.

34 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

So why not sign players north of Dundee? Train in Aberdeen? Appreciate it is not as simple as that but they will be an attractive proposition to players from the north east.

This is indeed a strong alternative and would pretty much put us alongside the other Aberdeenshire/Moray HL sides.  There's a car park on the edge of Aberdeen which often has Buckie, Keith and Turriff minibuses parked side by side, reflecting where they get their players from.

Thing with that is that we're then just competing with these teams (plus Locos, Fraserburgh, Formartine etc) over the same pool of players, and as such we'd need to be straight into poaching mode.

That would also effectively rule out recruitment from Dundee / Forfar / Arbroath who realistically won't travel to Aberdeen for midweek training.   However, I'd like to think that with a retained support we could out-finance the aforementioned HL clubs.  That combined with the relative ease of access from Aberdeen.

Of course, this is a fundamental issue that needs addressed asap if we are to have any chance of assembling a decent squad over the summer.  Nobody's going to commit to a club who's training "might be in Dundee, but might be in Aberdeen"

Edited by Hedgecutter

6 hours ago, mo83 said:

Then appointing a striker he brought in on a 3 year deal....Baffling decision that.

And that 3 year contract was based on one win against a very poor Albion Rovers side. A monumental mistake in the course of a huge season.

1 minute ago, Vodka Vic said:

And that 3 year contract was based on one win against a very poor Albion Rovers side. A monumental mistake in the course of a huge season.

Some might say that after sacking mark Wilson that the next guy to come in could be the most important managerial appointment we’ve made.....and we appointed a striker with no previous managerial experience based on a win at a struggling Albion rovers side 😬Definitely a prime example of the shocking decision making that has got us to where we are today 

1 hour ago, Citytillidie said:

Think he’s got another two years left on his contract, personally I don’t think he is the man to rebuild us definitely need somone else in next season 

You'd imagine that somebody with some decent knowledge of the lower league setup north of the Tay is essential for the role.  I'm not convinced that his stint at Pittodrie would have given much exposure, and any club contacts from the time will probably have long left.

10 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

They are not there on merit at all. When the lowland league was formed they cobbled together a load of shite to bulk up the old EoS sides that joined it. No attempt was made to bring in sides like Linlithgow, Bo’ness etc instead they got newly formed glorified boys clubs like Cumbernauld colts, edusport academy, bsc Glasgow and parachuted them straight in at tier 5. 

Thats total dugshit mate. They did but we were to entrenched in the Grade at the time to be bothered with the pyramid

26 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Thats total dugshit mate. They did but we were to entrenched...

Highly debatable. There were a number of junior clubs that had expressed an interest (Clydebank are the obvious example) but the LL unfolded very quickly in a way that made it very difficult to sell at a general meeting.

I have absolutely no sympathy for Brechin City FC. While the SPFL saw fit to demote Hearts, Partick & Stranraer lwith a quarter of the season still to play the same body refused to offer up Brechin for the Pyramid Play-off because "the season had not been completed" ! 

A total contradiction!  But of course the Brechin Chairman was a member of the SPFL Board at the time! Smacks of a conflict of interest and SPFL cronies gathering round to save Brechin. Well this season your SPFL cronies couldn't help you and you got what you deserved. I have sympathy for fans and players but not for the institution known as Brechin City FC.  Enjoy the HL and may your stay be a long one! 

I have absolutely no sympathy for Brechin City FC. While the SPFL saw fit to demote Hearts, Partick & Stranraer lwith a quarter of the season still to play the same body refused to offer up Brechin for the Pyramid Play-off because "the season had not been completed" ! 

You might want to consider how Brechin (or QotS, Edinburgh City, or any of the other playoff-bound teams) were supposed to play said playoff when all sport was cancelled due to the pandemic, then try posting that again.

34 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Highly debatable. There were a number of junior clubs that had expressed an interest (Clydebank are the obvious example) but the LL unfolded very quickly in a way that made it very difficult to sell at a general meeting.

It was enough time for the others. While we fucked about in the grade.