The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

52 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Only just realised that all of the four Angus clubs will be in different leagues next season, so not a single Angus derby.  :o

Sorry to see Brechin drop out but when there were all 4 in the L1 a few years ago I did get fed up travelling to Angus especially when Arbroath thumped us. by 7. I was at Brechin the night of the 8.50 pm delayed game when Brechin easily beat us despite most of their team just arriving!  I will miss the hedge but wish you well in recovering.

4 minutes ago, Big Dougie said:

That’s what has been reported, so can only base an opinion on that.

Are you incapable of rationale thought?  It’s reported that Colts teams in the diddy cup have been a resounding success.  You need to believe less of what you read in the media and apply your own thought about how things will pan out.

16 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Aye. it's far too simplistic to look at it from a Fife-wide level. You'd imagine plenty places in North Fife will have more Dundee/Dundee Utd supporters than supporters of Fife clubs as well.

Aye, you're right. NE Fife folk gravitate to the Dundee clubs.

24 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Quite the opposite. You need a group of individuals with a commitment to the cause and a decent breadth of skill set. 

Which is why St Johnstone are in the top flight and why Stirling have spent half their existence in the bottom league.

They have to leave after one season, what tier 6 club would enter on that basis???
You relegate additional teams to get back to 16.

As others have pointed, the Old Firm haven't been trying to get their Colts in the league setup for years just to accept a 1 year deal. On the podcast George Fraser said it would be up to the Old Firm what happens at the end of the year. Given how easy it was for the Old Firm to buy the votes required I've no doubt they would be able to do so for a second year onward.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Are you incapable of rationale thought?  It’s reported that Colts teams in the diddy cup have been a resounding success.  You need to believe less of what you read in the media and apply your own thought about how things will pan out.

Why does my opinion matter to you? You have made up your mind what is happening so anything I say will be irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, Big Dougie said:

Why does my opinion matter to you? You have made up your mind what is happening so anything I say will be irrelevant.

When did I say it did.  Just so you’re clear it doesn’t because you’re obviously a moron.

IMG_8755.thumb.jpg.5f624eb7aa988b8e4e676a9a301996bb.jpgIMG_8756.thumb.jpg.be4c05490aa9c58bb177861a75a4ce53.jpg

Some absolute Treks regardless what league you boys end up in now with relegation.
It's not unlikely for some Tayside teams to come up in the next few years. That would vastly reduce travel for Brechin City.

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

When did I say it did.  Just so you’re clear it doesn’t because you’re obviously a moron.

I only thought you were a bit off the scale, but thank you for confirming it.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Very sorry to see a cracking wee club go down. As others have said no room for error now in League 2. The prospect of the Highland League is a really uninspiring prospect for a club like Brechin. Hope you can re-group and fight your way back at the first time of asking - the longer it goes the harder it becomes. Most people want to see a football meritocracy from a competitive standpoint but when you see smashing clubs like Brechin and Berwick with great histories falling out of the league it is hard not to really feel for them.

I don't understand that negativity at all. Keith are a cracking wee club. Forres are a cracking wee club. Inverurie Locos are a cracking wee club. There's nothing "smashing" about Brechin and Berwick that isn't also true about Wick and Spartans - or in the next tier down, Cumnock and Banks O'Dee. Would you really argue Brechin and Berwick have greater histories than Auchinleck Talbot? When did either of them play at Hampden in front of 69,000?

This is just another relegation. It comes with a bigger hit to finances and prestige than some, but a club like Brechin will easily be viable and competitive in the Highland League. It's a new set of opponents and a lot more variety. They should try to seize the opportunities it brings.

We're used to seeing clubs like Brechin in the league and we come to think of it as where they belong. It's just familiarity.

1 hour ago, rockson said:

What if the bottom three don't fall neatly into the EoS, WoS and SoS? They might all be for example EoS cartchment meaning at least four relegations from EoS Premier and similar in the lower EoS divisions. Is that fair?

Yes.

43 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

They are not there on merit at all. When the lowland league was formed they cobbled together a load of shite to bulk up the old EoS sides that joined it. No attempt was made to bring in sides like Linlithgow, Bo’ness etc instead they got newly formed glorified boys clubs like Cumbernauld colts, edusport academy, bsc Glasgow and parachuted them straight in at tier 5. 

This isn't true at all. The Juniors rejected the pyramid, they mocked it. Some clubs were interested but they insisted that they would only move if the whole grade moved together. They would never have joined if it hadn't been for Kelty deciding to go it alone, and then others following.

And FWIW, Rangers started out as a boys club. Every club in the country started somewhere. Arguably Cumbernauld Colts are move woven into the local community than Clyde are, given the huge number of kids and parents involved in their male and female age-grade set-ups. If those new clubs are able to put a better team on the park than established clubs then it's up to the established clubs to raise their game.

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

Regarding the Central Fife area where Kelty is only one mile from the outskirts of Cowdenbeath, Kelty's promotion to the league is likely to impact on them as many folk in Kelty who would watch Cowdenbeath will now watch their "new" local league team. Cowdenbeath's crowds are as low as 200 these days already.

Yes, of course there are OF supporters, but Kelty and Cowdenbeath have a fair number of Dunfermline and Hearts fans too, with the odd Raith supporter. Just up the road in Kinross and Milnathort you're starting to enter St Johnstone territory. A district which should easily support a decent league club has too many mixed loyalties, and I think Kelty could be one too many for Cowdenbeath..

I’m sure most football supporters from Kelty already support Kelty Hearts anyway or get on the old firm buses going to see the ugly sisters. We have far more things to worry about than a few people from Kelty not coming to Cowden games. In the short term  it will actually boost our pathetic home gates due to the local derby, at least until Kelty get promoted or if we are relegated. 

Edited by Only coo in the village

22 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I don't understand that negativity at all. Keith are a cracking wee club. Forres are a cracking wee club. Inverurie Locos are a cracking wee club. There's nothing "smashing" about Brechin and Berwick that isn't also true about Wick and Spartans - or in the next tier down, Cumnock and Banks O'Dee. Would you really argue Brechin and Berwick have greater histories than Auchinleck Talbot? When did either of them play at Hampden in front of 69,000?

This is just another relegation. It comes with a bigger hit to finances and prestige than some, but a club like Brechin will easily be viable and competitive in the Highland League. It's a new set of opponents and a lot more variety. They should try to seize the opportunities it brings.

We're used to seeing clubs like Brechin in the league and we come to think of it as where they belong. It's just familiarity.

Yes.

This isn't true at all. The Juniors rejected the pyramid, they mocked it. Some clubs were interested but they insisted that they would only move if the whole grade moved together. They would never have joined if it hadn't been for Kelty deciding to go it alone, and then others following.

And FWIW, Rangers started out as a boys club. Every club in the country started somewhere. Arguably Cumbernauld Colts are move woven into the local community than Clyde are, given the huge number of kids and parents involved in their male and female age-grade set-ups. If those new clubs are able to put a better team on the park than established clubs then it's up to the established clubs to raise their game.

Don't know the attendance but Brechin were in the League Cup semi Final at Hampden against Rangers in 1957.

57 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Regarding the Central Fife area where Kelty is only one mile from the outskirts of Cowdenbeath, Kelty's promotion to the league is likely to impact on them as many folk in Kelty who would watch Cowdenbeath will now watch their "new" local league team. Cowdenbeath's crowds are as low as 200 these days already.

Yes, of course there are OF supporters, but Kelty and Cowdenbeath have a fair number of Dunfermline and Hearts fans too, with the odd Raith supporter. Just up the road in Kinross and Milnathort you're starting to enter St Johnstone territory. A district which should easily support a decent league club has too many mixed loyalties, and I think Kelty could be one too many for Cowdenbeath..

Central fife is obviously going to have a squeeze on growing new fans now.  But kelty already has their own support which is only likely to grow.   I’d think the area will have more fans overall watching spfl live football now than 2019. Yes there might be some soft Cowdenbeath fans(or more accurately interested  neutrals) who stop going to Central Park and instead go to central, park. You now have a close rivalry. I’d be quite surprised if the total through the gates in the first full unrestricted fans between the 2 clubs will be less than 2019 .  

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

There was clearly 2 spaces available in the LL for next season and they have chosen to fill that with the two Old Firm Colt teams rather than from any of the clubs in tier 6.

There are no spaces available in the LL currently. They are changing the rules at the upcoming AGM only to allow the OF Colts in. At no point are two spaces going to be available for anyone else.

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

They are not there on merit at all. When the lowland league was formed they cobbled together a load of shite to bulk up the old EoS sides that joined it. No attempt was made to bring in sides like Linlithgow, Bo’ness etc instead they got newly formed glorified boys clubs like Cumbernauld colts, edusport academy, bsc Glasgow and parachuted them straight in at tier 5. 

Edusport Academy are there on merit, they literally won a tier 6 league and got promoted. The other two joined to bring the numbers up to 16 as the Juniors either didn't want to join or didn't have the facilities/licence to be able to join. 

Edited by Ginaro

1 hour ago, Clyde01 said:

Clubs like Clydebank showed interest but stayed junior for whatever reason. That left a vacuum that EK, Cumbernauld Colts, BSC filled. If Talbot and others had wanted in they would have got in.