The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

8 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Yes, two of them being much bigger town clubs in Pars and Raith..........and there seems to be a disproportionate amount of Fifers that I encounter that support a club based in Govan - which is strange given its east coast location.

I'm really not sure what your point even is now. Kirkcaldy and Dunfermline have populations that you'd reasonably expect to accommodate Championship clubs, which they do. Methil/Leven/Buckhaven has a population roughly similar to plenty of other L1 clubs. Cowdenbeath and Kelty are amongst the smallest towns with clubs in the SPFL and North Fife isn't really in the catchment of any of these clubs.

I doubt Fife has more OF fans per head than any other area of Scotland. They're everywhere.

More people in Fife live in towns not represented by SPFL clubs than towns that are.

Edited by Gordon EF

On the topic of population, it's a bit pointless

As Glasgow has a population of 610,000 and only has 4 SPFL clubs meaning that there's 152,500 people per league club. Whilst East Dunbartonshire has a population of 110,000 and has no SPFL clubs.

There's very little correlation between population and number of clubs in league football.

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

A West Germany - Austria type arrangement?

No, there was no collusion. Thistle went a goal down early doors and only equalised near the end.

On 23/05/2021 at 19:38, San Starko Rover said:

I’d like to see the LL relegate 3 teams to allow the EoS WoS and SoS champions to all move up. To me that’s the point of a pyramid that teams find their level.

What if the bottom three don't fall neatly into the EoS, WoS and SoS? They might all be for example EoS catchment meaning at least four relegations from EoS Premier and similar in the lower EoS divisions. Is that fair?

Edited by rockson

1 hour ago, Sir Richard said:

Ken Ferguson gave up his position on the league board to give his upmost attention to the situation the club was in.

So wtf did he actually do? 

Make no mistake he is the main reason that our club is finished. 

I await his resignation.

I'm not really surprised you missed this completely https://www.brechincity.com/bcfc/p/n/2432

Whilst Grant Johnson and Kevin Mackie will continue, the rest of the committee will make way at the EGM allowing Dave Taylor, Clark Renilson, Murray Lindsay and Blair Davidson to be co-opted. Those of the current committee who can, will continue to assist the Club through this transition.

The resignations have effectively occured already.

On the topic of population, it's a bit pointless

As Glasgow has a population of 610,000 and only has 4 SPFL clubs meaning that there's 152,500 people per league club. Whilst East Dunbartonshire has a population of 110,000 and has no SPFL clubs.

There's very little correlation between population and number of clubs in league football.

There is but it’s more based around the size of population of the town not the area, lots of people from Perth will identify with St Johnstone but that doesn’t mean people in Perthshire will. Most full time clubs come from towns with larger populations. The only large towns that doesn’t have SPFL teams are new towns like East Kilbride and Glenrothes. If people live near a team they’re more likely to identify with it.

1 hour ago, Sir Richard said:

Ken Ferguson gave up his position on the league board to give his upmost attention to the situation the club was in.

So wtf did he actually do? 

Make no mistake he is the main reason that our club is finished. 

I await his resignation.

59 minutes ago, Citytillidie said:

Don’t think he will be a well liked man around the city anymore....

With all due respect folks and I fully appreciate the only emotions on show today will be that of anger and frustration. 

However, without guys of the calibre of Ken Ferguson at your club since I believe the early 1990's, would Brechin City FC have survived this long, or indeed still be here?

Please do not turn on your own, regroup, take stock and rebuild stronger. I think you'll find the club's door is always open for input, even if not of the financial kind available to Central Belt ex junior clubs .

All the very best for next season. 

5 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

This could happen to any part-time team in the league and possibly even some full-time ones too. We could easily be in that position within 5 years. Brechin and Cowdenbeath before them were recent championship sides playing way above us, yet a 3 or 4 bad years and look what can happen... and believe me, I’ve been a fan long enough to have seen us have way more than 3 or 4 bad seasons in a row in the past.

I suspect that there'll be a fair few fans of other league clubs reading this thread, quietly thinking "f***, this could genuinely be us within the next decade".

Given the gradual improvements in the LL especially, it's more likely than not that other so-called established SPFL clubs will also fall through the trapdoor.

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I suspect that there'll be a fair few fans of other league clubs reading this thread, quietly thinking "f***, this could genuinely be us within the next decade".

Given the gradual improvements in the LL especially, it's more likely than not that other so-called established SPFL clubs will also fall through the trapdoor.

tenor.gif

You would think that the easiest way back for clubs would be to have automatic relegation/promotion between tier 5 and 6.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Brora, now undoubtedly seething at seeing Brechin top of the league from the first second of the season.  It's already all our's to lose.

The Broch are 'Fr' of course, a whole 8 places behind their southern overlords.

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

Brora were secretly relieved Banks O'Dee never accepted the invite to the HL imo.

The Highland League needs a strong Aberlour Villa

6 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

There is but it’s more based around the size of population of the town not the area, lots of people from Perth will identify with St Johnston but that doesn’t mean people in Perthshire will. Most full time clubs come from towns with larger populations. The only large towns that doesn’t have SPFL teams are new towns like East Kilbride and Glenrothes. If people live near a team they’re more likely to identify with it.

Except they actually do (even before they turned into a trophy machine).  Not the greatest example there.  Similarly,  the West Fife villages are awash with Pars fans despite them not living in Dunfermline.  There's even plenty of Pars fans in Kelty come to think of it.

If you were to consider population base as being important though, then it was only a matter of time until today came along seeing as Brechin is smaller than Buckie, Fraserburgh, Forres, Inverurie and Nairn to name a few.  

Except they actually do (even before they turned into a trophy machine).  Not the greatest example there.  Similarly,  the West Fife villages are awash with Pars fans despite them not living in Dunfermline.  There's even plenty of Pars fans in Kelty come to think of it.
If you were to consider population base as being important though, then it was only a matter of time until today came along seeing as Brechin is smaller than Buckie, Fraserburgh, Forres, Inverurie and Nairn to name a few.  

They do and they don’t, the closer you are to the team the more fans you’ll pick up was my point. While Pars will pick up fans in West Fife it’ll be easier to attract fans with in easy travelling distance of EEP the harder it is to get to EEP the less attractive it is to support the Pars.

Feel for the Brechin fans, it's not fun being Club 42 and dread to think how shite things seem tonight after going down the trap. Despite the whole Angus rivalry stuff, always enjoyed the hedge trips.

Both are tricky, but Highland League probably a better bet for escaping out of if you can regroup quickly. Any whisky connoisseurs are in for a right good time of it next term too, I s'pose. GL.

Can you explain how they were supposed to promote somebody from tier 6 when all three leagues went nil and void??
The LL initially was supposed to be null and void too. Might have changed the decision in tier 6 if a promotion spot into the LL was up for grabs.

They could also have taken applications to join the LL which they have done in the past and just done with the Old Firm Colts.

9 minutes ago, Scorge said:

Any whisky connoisseurs are in for a right good time of it next term too, I s'pose. GL.

Despite being next door to Glencadam, Glebe Park won't be the ground closest to a distillery.  :wacko:

(I can only presume that Rothes' Mackessack Park and the Caperdonich are closer)

Edited by Hedgecutter

12 minutes ago, Scorge said:

Despite the whole Angus rivalry stuff....

Only just realised that all of the four Angus clubs will be in different leagues next season, so not a single Angus derby.  :o

6 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

The LL initially was supposed to be null and void too. Might have changed the decision in tier 6 if a promotion spot into the LL was up for grabs.

They could also have taken applications to join the LL which they have done in the past and just done with the Old Firm Colts.

Yes, but it didn’t?? The tier 6 leagues missed an open goal by one of them not declaring a champion, they would have gone up unchallenged.

The Colts thing is only for one year, so their is no application process, and no need for one.

12 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Your posts are detached from reality. The LL would've went null and void if they were able to put Kelty forward to the play-off, but they couldn't so they went PPG. The promotion spot has always been up for grabs and the tier 6 leagues knew this - the LL would just increase the league to 18 like they did last year.

Applications were only taken when there were spaces available. It's obviously that unless your name is Celtic or Rangers and have £25k there's not a chance of getting into the league other than by promotion/relegation.

Edited by Ginaro