The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

2 minutes ago, Owsley said:

A sad day. Usual idiots will talk about getting did of the bottom feeders, ignoring the ambition they showed getting to the Championship in 2017.  Fear for them.

I'm guessing that's probably what fucked them

reached too far, became very skint, now paying for it

Sad to see it finally happen, but the club has been rotten from the inside for years now. Hopefully with the right funding and management in place, Brechin can rebound and return to the SPFL soon,but there's a lot of fixing needed to make that happen.

4 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

What league are Burghead joining?

The north region juniors should be in the pyramid next season and will probably be known as the Grampian League at that point. Brechin City are now likely to soon be only one more relegation away from a local derby against Brechin Vics. What remains of the east region (all the clubs in this season's east region north) should also be an HL feeder from next season onwards as the Midland League.

Brechin damaged their reputation a bit of late with their clumsy off field attempts to avoid the play-off but I'm sad to see them drop out of the SPFL. Been a really well run and friendly club over the years. Incredible to think what has happened to them since the day they beat us on penalties to go up to the Championship. So many terrible, terrible decisions from them since then to land up in this situation. I hope they manage to re-group in the Highland League and have a good crack at coming back. 

4 minutes ago, mr_malcolm said:

Totally different down there though .

Brechin will find it very hard to attract any players from south of Dundee. The most southern game they will play all season will be in Brechin.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It is indeed. One of the nicest sunsets I've ever seen at a football ground. Technically this was January, but close enough.

Folk on here talking about the Highland League like it's the afterlife. It's a great competition with some strong side, grand old grounds (not a single plastic pitch), only face each other twice a season and a lot of really good away days.

D0SjyM3WsAA_QBv.jpeg

Was that January at midday

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

I'm guessing that's probably what fucked them

reached too far, became very skint, now paying for it

The prize money they earned for finishing bottom of the pile that season, without winning a game, was more than the winners of SPFL1 got. Something went badly wrong at the club back then. 

7 minutes ago, Owsley said:

A sad day. Usual idiots will talk about getting did of the bottom feeders, ignoring the ambition they showed getting to the Championship in 2017.  Fear for them.

They finished mid table in League 1 with a negative goal difference. 30 points behind the leaders and 12 points behind second place.

Only a couple of fluke playoff wins got them promoted.

2 minutes ago, Benidorm said:

Brutal coverage on Radio Scotland. Bad days when only Jim McInally seems to have the slightest idea what hes talking about.

Jim McInally is one of the soundest guys in the game

9 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Have to feel sorry for the fans of Brechin City first and foremost today.

The demise of the club out the league has been coming and was only delayed a year due to the Covid pandemic. When you look at Montrose who took their warning, Brechin have continued to stink the league out again this season and played Russian roulette with their league status. The committee there have a lot to answer for.

But it has to be said being an old club shouldn't and mustn't guarantee league status. Kelty have shown they are a better team than Brechin and deserve their place in the league. Brechin will have to lick their wounds and rebuild. Some decent places to visit in the Highland League and you'll make a lot of new friends.

Basically you need a sugar daddy to survive

A sad day for Brechin City & football in Angus. A massive job lies ahead of whoever is to take the club forward with what should be an almost entirely new squad.

Astonishing that this ground hosted Championship football just 4 years ago. The flaws of Brechin in the last two years were painfully on display. No shortage of effort but very little creativity & virtually no goal threat. Poorly managed on & off the park.

Well done to Kelty Hearts who fully deserved promotion over the two legs. 

I hope Brechin City find a quick way back and with the right manager and a new squad they’ll be challenging. The present team would finish 4th-6th in the HFL. An opportunity to take a flamethrower to the present mess and start again from scratch.

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

They finished mid table in League 1 with a negative goal difference. 30 points behind the leaders and 12 points behind second place.

Only a couple of fluke playoff wins got them promoted.

Yep, that highlighted how fucking stupid the play offs are. It should be 9th v 2nd over 2 legs. 4th going up is a nonsense.

Edited by TheScarf

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

It is indeed. One of the nicest sunsets I've ever seen at a football ground. Technically this was January, but close enough.

Folk on here talking about the Highland League like it's the afterlife. It's a great competition with some strong side, grand old grounds (not a single plastic pitch), only face each other twice a season and a lot of really good away days.

D0SjyM3WsAA_QBv.jpeg

Already seen Brechin up at Wick during the winter in a 4-4 Scottish Cup thriller.

I've personally been to all the HL grounds already and I'd have to say that overall they're better away days than League 1 or 2.  Just a shame that the standard of football won't be to the same level and that we'll be much lower than the Angus rivals, but as I've said for years now:  Saturdays are for good days out ruined by 90 mins of football.