The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

Not quite Queensberry Rules, this, is it?

Like taking an AK-47 up to the moors on August 12th.

Akin to the scene in that monsters & mammaries caper on TV that everyone raved about. The one where the wisecracking vertically challenged lad opted for trial by combat. All and sundry were queuing up to butcher the bonsai-sized blighter. To even things up, he was allowed to nominate a champion.  The flouncing peroxide one from that limp-wristed, lipsynching, 90s crooning duo played the common guttersnipe who volunteered to act as champion for the person of restricted growth.  He proceeded to improbably slice Ser Shinysword in half.

How many ruddy seasons did Higginbottom and Scobbie play in the Premiership? What's Austin allegedly being paid for dropping down from Caley Jags? £800 a week? Jamieson, Tidser, Easton. All been in the Championship of late. Most of the others are "only" playing a couple of divisions too low.

Brechin should be allowed to borrow, say, Craig Sibbald, Mitch Megginson, Aaron Muirhead, Neil Parry, Dom Thomas and a few League One journeyman to level things up. At least players who get paid similar amounts to Kelty's blow-ins.

Would Josh Taylor be motivated if he could fight flyweights for the same £££ as he gets in his own division? I doubt it. (Unless they were gay prods, obviously)

Beating other insolvently trading clubs in the Lowland League is a worthy achievement. Beating Brechin is a "fish in a barrel" job. I don't see what Scottish football gains from it.

Edited by FortescueFotheringhamSmyth
Typo

5 hours ago, FortescueFotheringhamSmyth said:

Akin to the scene in that monsters & mammaries caper on TV that everyone raved about. The one where the wisecracking vertically challenged lad opted for trial by combat. All and sundry were queuing up to butcher the bonsai-sized blighter. To even things up, he was allowed to nominate a champion.  The flouncing peroxide one from that limp-wristed, lipsynching, 90s crooning duo played the common guttersnipe who volunteered to act as champion for the person of restricted growth.  He proceeded to improbably slice Ser Shinysword in half.

How many ruddy seasons did Higginbottom and Scobbie play in the Premiership? What's Austin allegedly being paid for dropping down from Caley Jags? £800 a week? Jamieson, Tidser, Easton. All been in the Championship of late. Most of the others are "only" playing a couple of divisions too low.

Brechin should be allowed to borrow, say, Craig Sibbald, Mitch Megginson, Aaron Muirhead, Neil Parry, Dom Thomas and a few League One journeyman to level things up. At least players who get paid similar amounts to Kelty's blow-ins.

Would Josh Taylor be motivated if he could fight flyweights for the same £££ as he gets in his own division? I doubt it. (Unless they were gay prods, obviously)

Beating other insolvently trading clubs in the Lowland League is a worthy achievement. Beating Brechin is a "fish in a barrel" job. I don't see what Scottish football gains from it.

Who did Easton play for in the Championship?

6 hours ago, FortescueFotheringhamSmyth said:

Dry yer eyes gassy......

Good luck to Brechin this week.  Was chatting to a work colleague about some of the good trips I've had to Brechin:

• Brechin 5 v 7 Cowdenbeath.  Still the most surreal match I've ever attended
  • Brechin 0 v 3 Cowdenbeath.  Promotion to the Championship for the first time in my time supporting the club
  • Brechin 0 v 1 Cowdenbeath.  Random Scottish Cup replay where Dougie Hill scored the winner for us.  

All the best against Kelty - I fear you haven't a hope in hell so I'll be praying for a miracle!

7 hours ago, FortescueFotheringhamSmyth said:

Absolute drivel! Scottish football moves a club down a level that's more than deserving of it and an ambitious club up a level that's more than deserving of it. £800 pound a week! Deluded....🙈

It seems the world is backing Kelty and the press seem to be wetting themselves and the prospect of Ferguson being back in the SPFL.

I struggle to come up with a counter argument other than Kelty believing the hype about just turning up or Brechin players realising they need to battle.

Who knows but its a funny old game......

It seems the world is backing Kelty and the press seem to be wetting themselves and the prospect of Ferguson being back in the SPFL.
I struggle to come up with a counter argument other than Kelty believing the hype about just turning up or Brechin players realising they need to battle.
Who knows but its a funny old game......

Brechin have much more support than you think.

43 minutes ago, Big Dougie said:

I think Brechin will surprise a few, they really aren’t as bad as people are making out.

Yeah. Brechin aren't that bad. Nowhere near as bad as the Berwick team when they went down and Brechin have improved recently.

If they have a fit squad to choose from then it should be close. 

It'll be interesting to see what the tactics are tonight. Will Kelty go for it to try and get an advantage from the home leg? Will Brechin go for it? Or, will Brechin sit back and try to stifle Kelty and look to win it at home?

35 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Correct. Hope their keeper is good at saving penalties, some of the Kelty players aren’t very good at staying upright.

A man that speaks the truth

2 minutes ago, PELE said:

Yeah. Brechin aren't that bad. Nowhere near as bad as the Berwick team when they went down and Brechin have improved recently.

If they have a fit squad to choose from then it should be close. 

It'll be interesting to see what the tactics are tonight. Will Kelty go for it to try and get an advantage from the home leg? Will Brechin go for it? Or, will Brechin sit back and try to stifle Kelty and look to win it at home?

Kelty will take a bit of confidence from the BetFred cup win earlier on in the season, however I think it will go the wire in the second leg.

Edited by Big Dougie

2 hours ago, leomessi1984 said:

Absolute drivel! Scottish football moves a club down a level that's more than deserving of it and an ambitious club up a level that's more than deserving of it. £800 pound a week! Deluded....🙈

When you say ambitious, do you mean spending money at an unsustainable level? Kelty are the poor man's Gretna.

2 minutes ago, Big Dougie said:

Kelty will take a bit of confidence from the BetFred cup win earlier on in the season, however I think it will go the wire in the second leg.

Yeah. The hardest part for Kelty will be trying not to get too carried away and thinking that they just need to turn up. I am sure their management will have stressed this, but it is not always that easy.

Brechin should offer more of a challenge this time.

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Please tell me this is on the box tonight?  A very intriguing tie imo.

It’s on Kelty TV, not sure how much it costs though.