The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

I think that would be a step too far at the moment.
Right now I would be asking League 2 clubs to expand to a 12-team division to accommodate Brechin, Kelty, and Brora who have been unfortunate victims of circumstance to find themselves in the present situation. 
I would therefore be asking only League 2 clubs to divide their prize money into 12 rather than 10.
They could recoup some of the money from the additional home game of a 12-team division operating as per the Premiership model. They would also gain by having a lower probability of relegation in a 12-team division than in the current 10-team division, if the pyramid playoffs remain unchanged and so only the bottom team participates (Club 44, as it would become).
I think asking any other divisions to make changes to their composition or prize money, at this stage, risks a house of cards type scenario.
I'm for more relegation and promotion between the SPFL and non league, but I see the first step being to sort out today's issue. Other changes may grow organically from there.
How are Brechin any different to the team that finishes 9th in the Championship or league 1? If you give Brechin a get out of jail free card then those teams will demand the same.

There is no guarantee of an extra home game if following the premiership. It will range between 17 to 19 rather than the current guaranteed 18. 1 extra home game wouldn't make up for the loss in prize money anyway.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...whose first club as a player and manager was Cowdenbeath who are not out of the woods yet.

You mean the Cowdenbeath he now hates because they helped relegate his beloved Hearts?  Did you not hear him and Donald Findlay on the radio during the Hearts fiasco?

20 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Brechin are at it BUT I do think if it had been a team other than Brora I'm not sure a champion would have been declared without some teams even playing a game.

No, they are obliged to as per the original press release. 

10 hours ago, SecretCEO said:

Right now I would be asking League 2 clubs to expand to a 12-team division to accommodate Brechin, Kelty, and Brora who have been unfortunate victims of circumstance to find themselves in the present situation. 

I would therefore be asking only League 2 clubs to divide their prize money into 12 rather than 10.

They could recoup some of the money from the additional home game of a 12-team division operating as per the Premiership model. They would also gain by having a lower probability of relegation in a 12-team division than in the current 10-team division, if the pyramid playoffs remain unchanged and so only the bottom team participates (Club 44, as it would become).

I think asking any other divisions to make changes to their composition or prize money, at this stage, risks a house of cards type scenario.

I'm for more relegation and promotion between the SPFL and non league, but I see the first step being to sort out today's issue. Other changes may grow organically from there.

Brechin are not victims of any circumstances and are not unfortunate to be, yet again, bottom of League 2.

They've been consistently terrible for years now. They should play the play off games.

10 hours ago, SecretCEO said:

I think this idea is starting to grow on me. Might take about a week (depending on results beforehand) for me to be fully convinced though 🙂.

Craig Levein on Sportsound saying there is no way Brechin should be punished this season by being "thrown out" of the SPFL.[emoji3] Also saying if the SPFL QC decides that  the Highland and Lowland leagues decisions to declare Brora and Kelty champions was wrong then there shouldn't be any playoff.
Obviously it would be a complete joke for either of these chancers to go up .

Great result tonight btw brechin [emoji123]

Yes, but you’re asking for the vote of SPFL clubs who wouldn’t vote a very similar proposal through last season when Thistle and Falkirk were ‘unfortunate victims of circumstance.’

I don’t mind the idea but I can’t see it happening.

57 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Great result for City last night, but it's too late surely?

We take on Annan at the weekend....a nice 0-0 to ensure Annan are safe and to all but guarantee our safety.

12 minutes ago, Hauftimedraw said:
17 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:
We take on Annan at the weekend....a nice 0-0 to ensure Annan are safe and to all but guarantee our safety.

Sounds good to me. Handshakes all round?

n2k95pWz1arDJGhhszYgLV7ojo0=.gif

4 hours ago, Hauftimedraw said:
4 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Sounds good to me. Handshakes all round?

This is what Donald Findlay was talking about with his "sporting integrity" comments

4 hours ago, andrew21 said:

Nae surprise to hear Donald Findlay backing Brechin City. An odious man steeped in bigotry.  Cowdenbeath going to be backing Brechin on this. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56910145

Aye, cause there are clear links between bigotry and views on the pyramid system. 

I would like to add that the timing of his (wrongly) questioning the plays offs integrity and us losing to Brechin are not at all linked, honest...

31 minutes ago, andrew21 said:

Quote from April 2020 taken from post on FitbaNorth

"Had it not been for the problems brought about by the pandemic, we wouldn't be talking about reconstruction just now. Cowdenbeath on three occasions have been in play-offs and I don't remember anybody talking about reconstruction then to save us from the consequences of the play-offs. Reconstruction should be part of a long process taking at least a year, looking at all aspects of the game and coming up with a complete package. What we seem to be talking about now is some kind of quick fix and I don't think that will serve the game well in the short term let alone the long term. Let nobody pretend that this somehow is in the wider interests of the game, because to say that there should be no winners and no losers is quite simply wrong....In the game we play there are always going to be winners and losers, that's why we play the game."
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foo ... r-21955321

Where does anything in the BBC article today contradict that.?  Don't recall the article saying anything about reconstruction. 

I think his point is that sporting integrity is in question when a team has been declared champions after 3 games when some teams haven't even played a single game.