The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

Just now, Sir Richard said:

I have it on good authority that there is genuine anger among some of the Brechin board and resignations are very likely.

I feel sorry for the genuinely good people who work tirelessly every day for the club, who are having their names dragged through the mud. If this is the direction the club are heading, then I’ll have to reconsider my season ticket next season. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Richard said:

I have it on good authority that there is genuine anger among some of the Brechin board and resignations are very likely.

How many are on the board at the minute?

I wonder if they actually had a vote on whether to go down this route or one or two people just dictated to the rest that it was happening.

3 hours ago, David W said:

They are leaving a 42 team set-up of which they are a member, and part of that membership is to be a guaranteed part of the league cup, part of the financial distribution system etc. That doesn't extend below L2. There's clearly a difference between relegating from L1 to L2 compared to L2 to LL/HL, that's why there is a parachute payment.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be automatic relegation. It's not simply a case of it being a straightforward pyramid though; it would be under one umbrella if that was the case.

Still not sure what your point is. Like the SPFL, the lower you finish the lower your prize money. If you get relegated out of the SPFL then of course you're not going to get the same benefits. Suppose in years to come this will improve as bigger clubs move up to the LL and the non-league cup for the Lowland area becomes a big deal.

Even if the entire thing was under one umbrella you're still going to get less money the further you go down the pyramid.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

There's every chance Brechin can win the HL title should they go down.  They won't have the money of Cove and Brora to compete with.  Fraserburgh are decent but I don't see why Brechin couldn't attract (or keep) players to have a chance.

Edit - If Brora go up of course.

I would say if they don't go up immediately then they'll be like East Stirlingshire and slip closer to mid-table. Their last two games against HL opposition were against mid-table Buckie in 17/18 (Championship season), 3-2 and 1-2, which shows the level they might be at.

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I can, to some degree, see some questions about Kelty Hearts' and especially Brora Rangers' legitimacy as champions but come on, where's the self-respect? Trying something, anything to avoid competing in the play-offs, including proposing league reconstruction and the inclusion of colt teams is pathetic. I'm very sorry to see it's come to this. I hope the proposals are rejected and the play-offs take place.

Let's be honest though - when you're club 42 and have already been beaten 2-0 to Kelty and lost 3-2 to tier 6 Linlithgow Rose at home in the cups, then you need to try everything possible as self-respect will inevitably lead to losing the play-off.

As for Brechin complaining about the number of games - what about Kelty whose last game was on 9th January so would have played just 3 games in 119 days come the play-off final first leg? Or Brora with 5 games in the same period.

Firstly, constitutionally the HFL were obliged to declare a champion. 

Secondly, I feel sorry for the fans here as they clearly don't agree with the action of the board.

If they are moaning about too many games and injuries then they should start resting players now. If they lose tonight they will be 11 points adrift with 12 points left to play for.  They could give their players 3 weeks off from now until the playoff if they want. They have 4 meaningless games that they can use however they like to prepare. 

Edited by Antony

1 hour ago, Brechin City FC said:

We agreed to complete the season. Did we do this on the basis that there wouldn’t be playoffs? Ive never been ashamed to be a Brechin fan until today. What happened to the community club we were supposed to be 10 years ago?

Ken Ferguson took over the reins

1 hour ago, Nick_BCFC said:

CLUB STATEMENT - By BCFC Management Committee

The Club are disappointed but not surprised to hear that our letter to the SPFL board, which was copied to all League 1 and 2 member clubs has been shared, in part, by various media outlets and feel that this statement is necessary to confirm our position. 

Today, 30 minutes ahead of a crucial SPFL League match, we sit bottom of the SPFL pyramid, we are currently Club 42, just as we were at the curtailed end of season 2019/20. We have been the worst performing team in League 2 for 44 games, there is nothing unfair about that, we have lost points on the pitch against teams living and playing through similar conditions as ours and are currently in our rightful place in the league. We will continue to fight to improve that position over the next five games, starting tonight. 

We also put on record our support for the pyramid structure. The teams entering the play-offs from the Highland and Lowland Leagues, who meet the required standards in terms of playing criteria and facilities, are helping drive improvement in the SPFL and they deserve to be given the opportunity to progress and improve our game.  

However, this season, just like last season, is not normal by any means for the SPFL or indeed the Highland and Lowland leagues. 

In our letter to the SPFL we reconfirmed our position that we felt it unfair to hold the play-offs in these unprecedented times and explained our supporting arguments for this view, a number of these arguments are based on SFA and SPFL laws and competition rules. 

The most pressing complaint is not one of laws or legitimacy, it is about a level playing field for both sides in any play-off, we strongly believe that any Relegation playoff games this season will be fundamentally unfair on Club 42. 

Club 42 will have been affected by injuries, suspensions, lack of recovery time and fatigue – these are part-time players, and most of these part-time players have full-time jobs which requires enormous amounts of travel to fulfil their footballing and work responsibilities. 

That club will have played 13 league games in a period of 59 days, many of the games having been concentrated into periods of three or four games in seven days. 

The winners of the Highland versus Lowland League playoff will have played two games in the same period and will not be affected to nearly the same extent by any of these issues (injuries, suspensions, lack of recovery time or fatigue). 

We believe that league reconstruction is the fairest outcome for Club 42, the Lowland League and Highland League and it is true that we proposed to the SPFL board and our member clubs that as an alternative to a relegation play-off both Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers be invited to join an expanded SPFL League 2 from next season, so they are not unfairly punished by our position on the legitimacy of the play-offs this season. 

In summary we believe in the play-offs, we believe that any team that plays a full league season and finished bottom of the pyramid should play off against the winner of the Highland or Lowland league team who has also played a full league season under similar conditions. Season 2020/21 is not that season.

Did Brechin not vote for the extra games from 18 -22 to allow their new manager and signings time to bed in. It’s laughable they are now talking about fatigue etc. They will have a big advantage in terms of fitness over Kelty/Brora.

28 minutes ago, Antony said:

If they are moaning about too many games and injuries then they should start resting players now. If they lose tonight they will be 11 points adrift with 12 points left to play for.  They could give their players 3 weeks off from now until the playoff if they want. They have 4 meaningless games that they can use however they like to prepare. 

You've obviously not seen the back up players. 

Premier League clubs have played more games than the Championship and Championship more than League 1 but just want to cancel the League 2 playoff. Its no advantage to Brora or Kelty to have played just 2 recent games before the final against T42. Just beat them on the pitch and stay up.

I wish other supporters would back off. They are only telling us what we already feel.

I am sick and tired of the whole thing and echo ever other Brechin supporter, we should take our medicine and get on with what comes on the football field.

It is embarrassing and desperate, I am sick of it.

Where ever we are playing I will still be there but this whole situation has sickened me.

That is utterly embarrassing for you guys as fans. No one wants to go down but to try and deny Kelty and Brora a shot at going up after they were robbed of it last season is utterly tragic behavior by your board. Regardless of the outcome of the playoffs you need to get your board emptied after that behavior on top of how they’ve run your club the last few seasons.

1 minute ago, San Starko Rover said:

That is utterly embarrassing for you guys as fans. No one wants to go down but to try and deny Kelty and Brora a shot at going up after they were robbed of it last season is utterly tragic behavior by your board. Regardless of the outcome of the playoffs you need to get your board emptied after that behavior on top of how they’ve run your club the last few seasons.

Yes they should be emptied but the difficulty has always been, who will take it on?

Also what are the SPFL saying about the whole thing, they had previously said they were looking into some factors pertaining to the playoff and as yet have still not named a date.