The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

The committee are not doing this in my name. I have followed this club through 65 years and have seen some bad times but this has taken us to our lowest ebb. This is no longer the club I know and is our most embarrassing day.

Please don’t take it personally when I say “beat Kelty or Brora or get the f**k down”.

As Pep put it so well today, sporting success and reward should be decided on the pitch. If you can’t play well enough over the course of the agreed season to avoid the playoffs or to win them then you don’t belong in League Two.

Your chairman is a total embarrassment and I say that advisedly.

Feel sorry for the Brechin support as I can’t imagine many (if any), back the action of their board today. I hope they let them know that, after all what’s the point in staying up if the cost is your support turning their back on you.

I vividly remember the first time I went to Glebe Park, it was against Dunfermline near the end of their Championship season. I had a great day, I had some pints with Brechin fans before and after the game and some good chats, they were really sound guys. They told me already back then that their board was useless and change at the top was desperately needed to avoid a freefall. Unfortunately for them, they were spot on.

For these guys I genuinely feel sorry and I wouldn't just wish Brechin to go down. But their board's behaviour has embarrassed that club. If they finish bottom, they should go down in my opinion (I want to see automatic relegation), but with the rules as they are they should face a play-off, it's only right. It could actually help their club in the long term, they can have a proper clear-out, hopefully also at the top. The HL will strengthen, but chances to win it will definitely be higher than for clubs dropping in the LL. I can see Brechin getting back at some point.

7 minutes ago, cityloon said:

See the stuff about adding more teams for a couple of seasons in a row, I assume that’s just so there’s no relegation fears for a few seasons yet? Surely if you thought 16 teams was the best way to have the league set up, you’d just propose changing to that?

An absolute brass neck that they’re proposing to not only save themselves this season, but preempting being utter dross for a few seasons yet.

Shame for the fans and that, but I really, really hope Brechin get relegated. Being willing to allow colt teams and completely f**k lower league football forever just so you don’t get relegated for a few seasons is unforgivable.

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Brechin are basically saying that Kelty and Brora should be promoted though. Just that Brechin shouldn't be relegated. Whatever anyone thinks of the way the HL and LL was called, what everyone outside the Glebe Park board room can agree on is that Brechin deserve to be in a relegation play-off.

Be some laugh if the SPFL said "aye ok Brechin, we'll expand to 12 and promote Kelty and Brora, but now you've got to play off against East Kilbride or Fraserburgh"

I’d actually be embarrassed to chat to rival fans before/ during games after this.

Usually they are pretty complimentary about the club but you can imagine now all the shit the Brechin fans will get if we manage to wangle our way out of relegation (again). It’s indefensible.

So sad for the genuine fans of Brechin. This has to be the most embarrassing unsubtle action of any football club ever. Makes Sevco and wee Budgie almost look honest. They must be stopped and the small minded despots in charge of Brechin removed without trace. What a bunch of arseholes. The same will go for any SPFL 2 club who gives them support. Have the guts to go for the play off and let the best team win.

16 minutes ago, Brechin City FC said:

image.png.49462e786c6e4332eb60e9659c5760cd.png

if that part is true then it’s not just Brechin fans who should be embarrassed.

I'm sure the clubs are humouring Ken when he phones round "Sure, sure Ken. Aye, of course Brechin don't deserve to be punished because of the pandemic."

These jokers have picked up 22 points in 44 games. That is fewer points than every other single L2 team amassed in the curtailed 2019/20 season. Put another way, at the point 2019/20 was called, Brechin were 7 points behind Albion Rovers. Brechin could have played their whole 17 games from this season, with no other club being awarded points and still not caught up with Albion Rovers.

CLUB STATEMENT - By BCFC Management Committee

The Club are disappointed but not surprised to hear that our letter to the SPFL board, which was copied to all League 1 and 2 member clubs has been shared, in part, by various media outlets and feel that this statement is necessary to confirm our position. 

Today, 30 minutes ahead of a crucial SPFL League match, we sit bottom of the SPFL pyramid, we are currently Club 42, just as we were at the curtailed end of season 2019/20. We have been the worst performing team in League 2 for 44 games, there is nothing unfair about that, we have lost points on the pitch against teams living and playing through similar conditions as ours and are currently in our rightful place in the league. We will continue to fight to improve that position over the next five games, starting tonight. 

We also put on record our support for the pyramid structure. The teams entering the play-offs from the Highland and Lowland Leagues, who meet the required standards in terms of playing criteria and facilities, are helping drive improvement in the SPFL and they deserve to be given the opportunity to progress and improve our game.  

However, this season, just like last season, is not normal by any means for the SPFL or indeed the Highland and Lowland leagues. 

In our letter to the SPFL we reconfirmed our position that we felt it unfair to hold the play-offs in these unprecedented times and explained our supporting arguments for this view, a number of these arguments are based on SFA and SPFL laws and competition rules. 

The most pressing complaint is not one of laws or legitimacy, it is about a level playing field for both sides in any play-off, we strongly believe that any Relegation playoff games this season will be fundamentally unfair on Club 42. 

Club 42 will have been affected by injuries, suspensions, lack of recovery time and fatigue – these are part-time players, and most of these part-time players have full-time jobs which requires enormous amounts of travel to fulfil their footballing and work responsibilities. 

That club will have played 13 league games in a period of 59 days, many of the games having been concentrated into periods of three or four games in seven days. 

The winners of the Highland versus Lowland League playoff will have played two games in the same period and will not be affected to nearly the same extent by any of these issues (injuries, suspensions, lack of recovery time or fatigue). 

We believe that league reconstruction is the fairest outcome for Club 42, the Lowland League and Highland League and it is true that we proposed to the SPFL board and our member clubs that as an alternative to a relegation play-off both Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers be invited to join an expanded SPFL League 2 from next season, so they are not unfairly punished by our position on the legitimacy of the play-offs this season. 

In summary we believe in the play-offs, we believe that any team that plays a full league season and finished bottom of the pyramid should play off against the winner of the Highland or Lowland league team who has also played a full league season under similar conditions. Season 2020/21 is not that season.

In any case as Hertz showed last season any court case is doomed. In a voluntary members association, there is no recourse to challenge the decisions of the members.

As said above League Two clubs may be making sympathetic noises but doubt Brechin's gutless whingeing will find many sympathetic ears further up the pyramid.

A humiliating take on the prospect of a relegation play-off, quite frankly.

1 minute ago, Nick_BCFC said:

CLUB STATEMENT - By BCFC Management Committee

The Club are disappointed but not surprised to hear that our letter to the SPFL board, which was copied to all League 1 and 2 member clubs has been shared, in part, by various media outlets and feel that this statement is necessary to confirm our position. 

Today, 30 minutes ahead of a crucial SPFL League match, we sit bottom of the SPFL pyramid, we are currently Club 42, just as we were at the curtailed end of season 2019/20. We have been the worst performing team in League 2 for 44 games, there is nothing unfair about that, we have lost points on the pitch against teams living and playing through similar conditions as ours and are currently in our rightful place in the league. We will continue to fight to improve that position over the next five games, starting tonight. 

We also put on record our support for the pyramid structure. The teams entering the play-offs from the Highland and Lowland Leagues, who meet the required standards in terms of playing criteria and facilities, are helping drive improvement in the SPFL and they deserve to be given the opportunity to progress and improve our game.  

However, this season, just like last season, is not normal by any means for the SPFL or indeed the Highland and Lowland leagues. 

In our letter to the SPFL we reconfirmed our position that we felt it unfair to hold the play-offs in these unprecedented times and explained our supporting arguments for this view, a number of these arguments are based on SFA and SPFL laws and competition rules. 

The most pressing complaint is not one of laws or legitimacy, it is about a level playing field for both sides in any play-off, we strongly believe that any Relegation playoff games this season will be fundamentally unfair on Club 42. 

Club 42 will have been affected by injuries, suspensions, lack of recovery time and fatigue – these are part-time players, and most of these part-time players have full-time jobs which requires enormous amounts of travel to fulfil their footballing and work responsibilities. 

That club will have played 13 league games in a period of 59 days, many of the games having been concentrated into periods of three or four games in seven days. 

The winners of the Highland versus Lowland League playoff will have played two games in the same period and will not be affected to nearly the same extent by any of these issues (injuries, suspensions, lack of recovery time or fatigue). 

We believe that league reconstruction is the fairest outcome for Club 42, the Lowland League and Highland League and it is true that we proposed to the SPFL board and our member clubs that as an alternative to a relegation play-off both Kelty Hearts and Brora Rangers be invited to join an expanded SPFL League 2 from next season, so they are not unfairly punished by our position on the legitimacy of the play-offs this season. 

In summary we believe in the play-offs, we believe that any team that plays a full league season and finished bottom of the pyramid should play off against the winner of the Highland or Lowland league team who has also played a full league season under similar conditions. Season 2020/21 is not that season.

Don't understand why they have bothered releasing that. Just confirming everything that was reported.

Shitebags