The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

Fair play to the Brechin supporters for acknowledging that the folk that run your club are a fucking embarrassment.

The Brechin board could really have prevented this whole mess by possibly not being utterly incompetent for the entirety of the last four years I suppose.

It takes a lot to get me supporting either Brora or Kelty but I hope one of them roasts Brechin in this play-off and they go down where they deserve to be.

Good luck after that. Hopefully you guys can flush the crap from your board room and make a go of it in the Highland League and get a fair crack at making it back into the SPFL at some point.

There's every chance Brechin can win the HL title should they go down.  They won't have the money of Cove and Brora to compete with.  Fraserburgh are decent but I don't see why Brechin couldn't attract (or keep) players to have a chance.

Edit - If Brora go up of course.

Edited by TheScarf

13 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I genuinely feel sorry for all Brechin fans but your club is now an ongoing embarrasment and needs to be emptied.

You can come back stronger but the refusal to take medicine here is a hard watch.

It was becoming harder and harder to try and defend the club as they lurch from one crisis to the next , but this latest stunt is incredibly indefensible and will damage the club long term if not kill them completely. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Why don't the HL and LL put forward the teams who won the 19/20 HL and LL then?

Kelty and Brora won those as well. Brora were 17 points clear (having played three more games, mind) and Kelty were six points clear having played one extra game, with both leagues being five or six games away from completion.

I like Brechin, lovely wee town, great ground, I even want them to remain in the SPFL, and lord knows my own team has seen it’s own relegation stitch ups over the last year or two but this isn’t one of them. If this is the way they want to act, then get down. The Highland and Lowland have nominated teams who were denied the title and the opportunity to get promoted last year and were coincidentally top of the table when everything shut down. The leagues showed solidarity and put them forward because it was the right thing. Brechin will complete their season and can easily play the play offs, they have nothing to hide behind. If they can’t beat Kelty or Brora, they don’t deserve to be there.

5 minutes ago, VillanoXIV said:

Kelty and Brora won those as well. Brora were 17 points clear (having played three more games, mind) and Kelty were six points clear having played one extra game, with both leagues being five or six games away from completion.

I like Brechin, lovely wee town, great ground, I even want them to remain in the SPFL, and lord knows my own team has seen it’s own relegation stitch ups over the last year or two but this isn’t one of them. If this is the way they want to act, then get down. The Highland and Lowland have nominated teams who were denied the title and the opportunity to get promoted last year and were coincidentally top of the table when everything shut down. The leagues showed solidarity and put them forward because it was the right thing. Brechin will complete their season and can easily play the play offs, they have nothing to hide behind. If they can’t beat Kelty or Brora, they don’t deserve to be there.

This sums up my feelings on the matter.

I really like Brechin City - for a long time they were the byword for modest, part-time success, an upward-looking Second Division/League 1 club with good players, good managers and one of the best grounds in the country - and I really do not want to see them drop out of the SPFL but I've lost all sympathy for them after this news. At one point, I thought the club were an unfair lightening rod for the SPFL's indecision, but they've done themselves no favours here. No wonder their supporters are exasperated with the board. Four years of awful decision-making, and now this.

I can, to some degree, see some questions about Kelty Hearts' and especially Brora Rangers' legitimacy as champions but come on, where's the self-respect? Trying something, anything to avoid competing in the play-offs, including proposing league reconstruction and the inclusion of colt teams is pathetic. I'm very sorry to see it's come to this. I hope the proposals are rejected and the play-offs take place.

Do Brechin seriously believe that anyone other than Kelty or Brora would have prevailed over a full season anyway?

I thought the whole hyper-prawn-sandwich league would be the biggest football minter of the week, but this is right up there....

23 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I can, to some degree, see some questions about Kelty Hearts' and especially Brora Rangers' legitimacy as champions but come on, where's the self-respect? Trying something, anything to avoid competing in the play-offs, including proposing league reconstruction and the inclusion of colt teams is pathetic. I'm very sorry to see it's come to this. I hope the proposals are rejected and the play-offs take place.

This is it. If they made the point that neither Brora nor Kelty are legitimate champions and shouldn't be in a play-off with club 42, it would of course, be entirely self-serving and you can disagree or agree with that but it's a reasonable point. Brechin are basically saying that Kelty and Brora should be promoted though. Just that Brechin shouldn't be relegated. Whatever anyone thinks of the way the HL and LL was called, what everyone outside the Glebe Park board room can agree on is that Brechin deserve to be in a relegation play-off.

If Brechin get relegated to the Highland League it wouldn't be the end of the world as far as I can see? The Brechin board seem to think it will be for some reason. It give you a couple of years to rebuild, reduce your wage bill, get rid of deadwood and likely have a few more local and younger players plus you would likely win most weeks then if not next year but within 3 years be battling for promotion again. Your supporters would be enjoying going to games again to see a winning team in the Highland League. The supporters that enjoy away games and missed out last 18 months will have many potential top tier away trips up north if they wanted to follow Brechin. A bit of long term vision by your board is desperately needed instead of doing everything to stop relegation play offs or reconstruct league.

Sorry for the Brechin fans, but I hope you don't beat us tonight and end up catching us.

Purely for the away trips, I think I would prefer being in the Highland League rather than the Lowland League, but obviously not long term and the club would struggle with the extra cost/ travel. 

17 minutes ago, Shannon said:

If Brechin get relegated to the Highland League it wouldn't be the end of the world as far as I can see? The Brechin board seem to think it will be for some reason. It give you a couple of years to rebuild, reduce your wage bill, get rid of deadwood and likely have a few more local and younger players plus you would likely win most weeks then if not next year but within 3 years be battling for promotion again. Your supporters would be enjoying going to games again to see a winning team in the Highland League. The supporters that enjoy away games and missed out last 18 months will have many potential top tier away trips up north if they wanted to follow Brechin. A bit of long term vision by your board is desperately needed instead of doing everything to stop relegation play offs or reconstruct league.

Exactly. Hopefully with the full introduction of the pyramid system underneath, the HL will only strengthen over the next few of years and a few of the bigger Tayside / Aberdeenshire juniors being promoted will mean clubs like Brechin won't be isolated as the only 'southern' club.

This is a real clutching at staws job now. We are now a bigger laughing stock and us brechin fans are more than happy to take our play off place as that is where we are and what we deserve. The board have ruined our club and are now alienating themselves from the fans. We have always had a great raport with away fans and they have always had good words about their visits to the glebe....now we are gonna be public enemy no1 with everyone, and at what cost. This is a shambles, I am so fucking pissed off how far this has been allowed to go. Hang your heads in shame committee, this could and probably will be irreparable.

I was there when The Shire and Berwick were relegated, and I don't think either made as much fucking noise about the reality of being relegated as Brechin have done about the possibility of it. 

If they act any more small time we're going to have to start calling them Brechin Town, amiright?

To be honest, its really embarrassing what Brechin have been getting up to and that's just on today.

It seems the Brechin board expect their team to finish up club 42 and trying their upmost to avoid the playoffs in everyway except on the park.
For footballs sake, there has to be a club 42 and who says the club 42 will lose the playoff when hey are actually match fit and both playoff contenders are not.
All the moaning of legitimacy of making SPFL2 bigger or adding in the colts teams or stating Brora and Kelty have no right to be champions.  All Brechin had to do was to vote to get the league relegation from SPFL2 opened up and that will give Brechin a bigger chance of getting back, if they do finish last and then lose the playoff.
The pyramid is here to stay and I don't like the playoff relegation from the SPFL2 but thought there was no complaint as there was only a small number of teams who were strong but with the pyramid developing underneath the Highland League and the Lowland League there are now too many stronger team coming up for the years to come so hopefully a bottleneck will cease and straight forward Promotion / regulation to and from the SPFL2 will be an every year occurrence.

To add, whoever goes down in the next few years from the SPFL2, I don't think its a bad thing, it just mean the relegated clubs have to take stock of what they have and what they need and then just start form scratch and build themselves up to reach the SPFL2 or even higher

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread