The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but f**k knows how you didn't get heavily beaten every week.  I mean I'm going by your games against The Caley. we played you 5 games in league and cup and won. 4-0, 4-0, 3-0, 4-0, and 3-2. We were utter shite that season and finished 5th.  

Your squad was blatantly mid-table League One at the absolute best.  But in the games against us, you looked HL/LL standard. We had harder games in our friendlies against Brora and Nairn.

Considering we sneaked into the 4th play off place the season before the championship , having lost more games than we won ..........I cannot disagree.  Winning the play offs was fantastic , especially beating Yogi Hughes' Raith in the semi final , but not strengthening that squad was the biggest mistake our committee made.  The losing mentality just poured through the club after that and  many desperately strange decisions followed in our downward spiral. Promotion proved our downfall but possibly it was fate  ..........telling us that the running of the club had to change drastically .  Pity it took another 3 years for the committee to get the message. 

The Caley games apart we actually competed really well for the first half of the season but the more we lost , the more the heads went down in the second half of the season. 

4 hours ago, big al said:

Aberdeen are top every summer, that doesn’t make them champions if games don’t get played. 

Seeing as they dodged relegation simply because Brockville was a tip, nothing should come as a surprise.  A global pandemic and resultant national lockdown doesn't seem quite as bad in comparison.

35 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Kelty and Brora got permission to start contact training ( I assume that means playing bounce games ) last week or the week before . They certainly won't be going into the play offs unprepared . 

Who they going to play bounce games against, themselves each other? As you well know training is absolutely nothing like match fitness or game rythem.

Who they going to play bounce games against, themselves each other? As you well know training is absolutely nothing like match fitness or game rythem.

Plenty of SPFL clubs will be needing their fringe players to get a run out with no reserve league.

40 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Seeing as they dodged relegation simply because Brockville was a tip, nothing should come as a surprise.  A global pandemic and resultant national lockdown doesn't seem quite as bad in comparison.

A bit like Brechin City's recent situation, it wasn't automatic relegation but a relegation play-off that Aberdeen avoided.

1 hour ago, andrew21 said:

I seem to remember after their win against Hearts one of the Brora Rangers  players was quoted as saying something along thee lines of "we did that with a few training session and a bounce game."

Yeah played Buckie Thistle who they were allowed to play as Buckie were still in Scottish Cup and had permission to train.

6 hours ago, big al said:

See when the day comes that the biggest no marks in the entire SPFL end up bottom of L2, everyone will be sniggering at you. 
Have your team even ever won a league trophy? 

Alan full of the drink because his team won a game.

Fair play mate.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The state of Brockville only prevented a play off.

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

Alan full of the drink because his team won a game.

Fair play mate.

Alan? Who’s that?

Full of drink? rarely touch alcohol if that’s what you are referring to?

I presume the missing answer is ‘no, Stenny have never won a league trophy, you are correct Al, we are the diddiest of the diddies’.

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Even in that infamous Championship season, half of our league games involved a single goal margin.  Obviously you'd prefer that to being pumped every week, but the constant 'close but no cigar' thing can be psychologically draining.

Can't say I agree with that.  Even when we were already relegated, Dods refused to take the handbrake off.  In my opinion it's the worst football we've played over the last 4 seasons.

3 minutes ago, Brechin City FC said:

Can't say I agree with that.  Even when we were already relegated, Dods refused to take the handbrake off.  In my opinion it's the worst football we've played over the last 4 seasons.

As was said , the first half of the season we were very competitive . That first match at Tannadice was soul destroying as we dominated for large parts of the match only to be denied late on by a Scott McDonald toepoke. 

The last third of the season when the heads went down was pretty woeful right enough. 

59 minutes ago, big al said:

Alan? Who’s that?

Full of drink? rarely touch alcohol if that’s what you are referring to?

I presume the missing answer is ‘no, Stenny have never won a league trophy, you are correct Al, we are the diddiest of the diddies’.

Wasting your time with that one. Just ignore.

39 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Every team in SPL2 will be battling relegation at some time.

I would take that a stage further and say every part time side in the country  could face this if they take their eye off the ball.Stirling,Cowden and Brechin have all been in the championship in the last decade with Dumbarton fighting to stay in league 1.It doesn,t take long for a good side to be dismantled.The sides from the LL and HL are well financed  with the bigger junior sides on the way also.Lets face it the Shire and Berwick are not showing any signs of getting back.