The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

16 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Least it was a close run thing tonight guys but unfortunately another step closer to the Lowland League.

Paton has been a smashing appointment. 

To be fair Stenny are absolute horse shite too...6 wins in the league this season?

36 minutes ago, Big Dougie said:

Spill the beans, what do you know? 😀

That Brechin, should they go down, are meant to be bunged in the Highland League as things stand, rather than the Lowland League. That's why "it'll never happen".

Either that or a secret merger with Vics...

12 hours ago, Neilly said:

Least it was a close run thing tonight guys but unfortunately another step closer to the Lowland League.

Even in that infamous Championship season, half of our league games involved a single goal margin.  Obviously you'd prefer that to being pumped every week, but the constant 'close but no cigar' thing can be psychologically draining.

1 hour ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Most teams that are currently in Div 2 and maybe a few others will over the next few years  have their share of "bricking it " 

If both Brora and Kelty keep to their current standard then then in all likelihood it'll be one of Albion Rovers, Cowden or Annan playing LL in a couple of years time.  You could argue that Cowden were lucky in that they only had to face a very average East Kilbride side in their playoff, and even that went all the way to penalties.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Even in that infamous Championship season, half of our league games involved a single goal margin.  Obviously you'd prefer that to being pumped every week, but the constant 'close but no cigar' thing can be psychologically draining.

If both Brora and Kelty keep to their current standard then then in all likelihood it'll be one of Albion Rovers, Cowden or Annan playing LL in a couple of years time.  You could argue that Cowden were lucky in that they only had to face a very average East Kilbride side in their playoff, and even that went all the way to penalties.

“Current standard” ? You know what current means?

19 hours ago, andrew21 said:

First website I came to that gives clubs position week on week. Still confirms they weren't any worse than Brechin considering that Brechin haven't won since October having  picked up two points from last twelve games . One league win in 15 games this season, no wins in last eleven league games last season.

Hey, we'd have bitten a hand off for one win in 36 games a few seasons ago.  However, given that was at 2nd tier level, this current record entirely at 4th tier level (36 games being a normal season of course) is truly horrific.  If we don't pick up the win against Annan then we're at 'game's a bogey' levels.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

You could argue that Cowden were lucky in that they only had to face a very average East Kilbride side in their playoff, and even that went all the way to penalties.

Oh we were very lucky that season.  Even more so the season after v Cove.

The big thing for Brechin is that they need to get some form before hitting the play offs. If they finish last and go into it still with just 1 league win all season then there's little chance.  If they've picked up some points then there might be some belief in the team still. I'd hate to see Brechin drop into Highland League as I'd miss their soup too much.

On 12/04/2021 at 17:39, Ivo den Bieman said:

What, the two clubs denied a play-off last season who once again were top of their league when it was called off this season?

Hard to argue that they don't deserve a crack at promotion to the league. Even harder to argue when Brechin had a chance to sort things out this campaign and have failed so comprehensively to do so.

I like Brechin and would like nothing more than the club to sort itself out and survive the ordeal of a play-off. But I cannot for the life of me fathom how you could be happy with surviving-yet again- on another technicality, one which would cast the whole integrity of the fragile pyramid system / relegation play off into doubt.

It's an ordeal you have to go through and hopefully, like our club, it'll be the making of you in years to come.

Most decent people want the playoffs to happen. However your point about the 2 teams being top of the woe leagues the previous season is completely irrelevant to this season. The previous season also wasn’t ever finished so they may not have won their leagues.

Also how can you say Brora are top this season, not even every team in their league had played a game!

Aberdeen are top every summer, that doesn’t make them champions if games don’t get played. 

Anyway, hopefully a better solution can be agreed in the future regarding up and down from league 2.

14 hours ago, Neilly said:

Paton has been a smashing appointment. 

See when the day comes that the biggest no marks in the entire SPFL end up bottom of L2, everyone will be sniggering at you. 
Have your team even ever won a league trophy? 

Everyone seems to be assuming that it is a forgone conclusion that Brechin would lose the play off (If it goes ahead), but given last nights result it seems that there is a bit of fight left in them.

28 minutes ago, big al said:

Most decent people want the playoffs to happen. However your point about the 2 teams being top of the woe leagues the previous season is completely irrelevant to this season. The previous season also wasn’t ever finished so they may not have won their leagues.

Also how can you say Brora are top this season, not even every team in their league had played a game!

Aberdeen are top every summer, that doesn’t make them champions if games don’t get played. 

Anyway, hopefully a better solution can be agreed in the future regarding up and down from league 2.

Not to prolong this, but this is more whataboutery.

Both Brora and Kelty have been nominated by their leagues to take part in a play-off. This is not contested.

The SPFL has elected to finish a season as best they can (as opposed to null & voiding) therefore the bottom side has to take part in a play-off.

There's really nothing more we need to know.

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Not to prolong this, but this is more whataboutery.

Both Brora and Kelty have been nominated by their leagues to take part in a play-off. This is not contested.

The SPFL has elected to finish a season as best they can (as opposed to null & voiding) therefore the bottom side has to take part in a play-off.

There's really nothing more we need to know.

Agree with this. I don’t agree with all the Brechin bashing even last year - I mean no- one was able to play a game of football this time last season and all play offs were cancelled.I do wish to be spared from the lectures about sporting integrity and moving goal posts when the LL broke their own agreement on how to finish a less than 50% complete season and Brora winning a championship after 3 games. 

Bottom line is Brechin agreed with the rest of the league to finish the current season and HL and LL have put forward their nominations. There’s not much to stop this happening.

19 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Kevin Harper came in October/November and it wasn't until the end of February it really clicked,

Up until then Harper actually had a worse record than Brogan,

Berwick were poor the full season and how poor they were was highlighted when rovers got going,

For what it's worth the only reason no lowland league or highland league sides contested the crowning of champions were they worried for the future of the play offs which is scaremongering from the top teams

Shire confirmed in an official statement the only reason they voted for kelty ad champions was they feared for the play off future,

Teams wanting promotion after playing less than half their games is a joke when you have league teams rushing to play as many games as they can,

The league teams didn’t have to rush to play as many games as they can, the SFA wanted18 games, the clubs wanted as many as they could to allow the bottom clubs as much chance as they could to get out of their predicament.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

It only takes one bad season. My own club I’m pretty certain will be one of those battling relegation in the next decade.

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but fuck knows how you didn't get heavily beaten every week.  I mean I'm going by your games against The Caley. we played you 5 games in league and cup and won. 4-0, 4-0, 3-0, 4-0, and 3-2. We were utter shite that season and finished 5th.  

Your squad was blatantly mid-table League One at the absolute best.  But in the games against us, you looked HL/LL standard. We had harder games in our friendlies against Brora and Nairn.

3 hours ago, andrew21 said:

As the Elgin poster said on the previous page if Brechin do finish bottom then they will have had the advantage over Brora and Kelty in that they have been training and playing regularly so that might help them.

Kelty and Brora got permission to start contact training ( I assume that means playing bounce games ) last week or the week before . They certainly won't be going into the play offs unprepared .